Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  
K 50 f1.2 on Ebay
Posted By: IgorZ, 04-26-2016, 04:08 AM

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

$200 US. The seller says it is in good condition. Seems cheap

Asahi Pentax SMC 50mm F1 2 K Mount Lens | eBay
Views: 4,958
05-04-2016, 01:39 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Going market seems to be $400 - $450 for the K in EX o/b. A, add $100. Good, subtract $100.
Interesting. I paid USD 99 for my A-version a few years ago.

05-04-2016, 01:43 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CarlG Quote
Interesting. I paid USD 99 for my A-version a few years ago.
I paid &225 for a very nice K in 2009.
05-04-2016, 01:44 PM - 4 Likes   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by IgorZ Quote
You are welcome! Maybe you could end all this discussion on the state of screws in the back
I have to say, this lens is in exceptional condition! I didn't wait for the discussion that took place here, as soon as I saw the listing at that price I scrutinized the photos of the lens as best as I could and determined basically what Uncle V and pathdoc said in their assessment. I had not really been in the market for a 1.2 lens yet but knew I wanted one and this and the A version were what was on my radar. My dream is the A 1.2 Silver special edition but I think its safe to say that is most likely not going to happen.

There is only the faintest scratch on one side of the body on one of the raised knurling of the DOF scale about 2mm long but other than that the body is in immaculate shape. The lens optics are perfect, there are only a few minute specks of dust that I can see (I've had modern lenses with more dust) which is remarkable for a lens of this age. The screws on the mount and the lens mount in general are a non issue...nothing out of the ordinary there and everything cleaned up nice and easy. The focus damping is as smooth as can be. I am amazed at the condition of this lens and feel that I truly made out.

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
So, really ... what's better? A, M or K 50/1.2?
I have a Cosina 55/1.2 and I find it quite good.
Is this one in this discussion a better lens?
Well I cannot truly say since this K50 is the only 1.2 I have, but I think so long as you have a good copy of whatever version you have then you have the ability to make some unique images. However what I will say is the primary reason I had no hesitation in picking up this version is that a few years back while researching f1.2 lenses I came across a blog post written by PF member @northcoastgreg highlighting the virtues of the K 50/1.2. Since I was familiar with his proficient level of work here (landscape primarily) coupled with the excellent reviews here on PF I had no reservations about the quality of this lens. After receiving the lens I am quite happy with it and love the build quality (they rarely make them like this nowadays) although it is a hefty piece of glass. Pentax K 50 f1.2 | Lens Reviews | The Northcoast Photographer

Here is one of my first images made by this lens...taken yesterday with my K-01 (its already been setup for old manual glass) at f1.2

Falling Stars
05-05-2016, 04:20 AM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

There is no M, only K and A.
There is no Dana, only Zuul.

QuoteOriginally posted by gda13 Quote
Here is one of my first images made by this lens
Oh, nice.

05-05-2016, 04:34 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
There is no Dana, only Zuul.

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria! . . . Full Frame by Pentax!!!
05-05-2016, 05:02 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have to say, this lens is in exceptional condition! I didn't wait for the discussion that took place here, as soon as I saw the listing at that price I scrutinized the photos of the lens as best as I could and determined basically what Uncle V and pathdoc said in their assessment. I had not really been in the market for a 1.2 lens yet but knew I wanted one and this and the A version were what was on my radar. My dream is the A 1.2 Silver special edition but I think its safe to say that is most likely not going to happen.

There is only the faintest scratch on one side of the body on one of the raised knurling of the DOF scale about 2mm long but other than that the body is in immaculate shape. The lens optics are perfect, there are only a few minute specks of dust that I can see (I've had modern lenses with more dust) which is remarkable for a lens of this age. The screws on the mount and the lens mount in general are a non issue...nothing out of the ordinary there and everything cleaned up nice and easy. The focus damping is as smooth as can be. I am amazed at the condition of this lens and feel that I truly made out.

Well I cannot truly say since this K50 is the only 1.2 I have, but I think so long as you have a good copy of whatever version you have then you have the ability to make some unique images. However what I will say is the primary reason I had no hesitation in picking up this version is that a few years back while researching f1.2 lenses I came across a blog post written by PF member @northcoastgreg highlighting the virtues of the K 50/1.2. Since I was familiar with his proficient level of work here (landscape primarily) coupled with the excellent reviews here on PF I had no reservations about the quality of this lens. After receiving the lens I am quite happy with it and love the build quality (they rarely make them like this nowadays) although it is a hefty piece of glass. Pentax K 50 f1.2 | Lens Reviews | The Northcoast Photographer

Here is one of my first images made by this lens...taken yesterday with my K-01 (its already been setup for old manual glass) at f1.2

Falling Stars
I must post a picture tomorrow of my silver K 50/1.2 on th K-1....looks good with a black lens hood.
05-05-2016, 05:12 AM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria! . . . Full Frame by Pentax!!!
"I thought Gozer was a man!"

"It's anything it wants to be!"

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
silver K 50/1.2
Special Edition by Pentax, or dcshooter's fine handiwork?

I'm almost sorry, looking at the linked article by @northcoastgreg that I didn't pull my 55mm Rikenon-P f/1.2 out again for this month - it might have done interesting things wide open with a set of tubes behind it. After May, I have 40-ish, 30-ish, 20-ish and 10-to-teen-ish lenses to shoot before I can consider going back, but we shall see what happens.

05-05-2016, 05:29 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Special Edition by Pentax, or dcshooter's fine handiwork?

I'm almost sorry, looking at the linked article by @northcoastgreg that I didn't pull my 55mm Rikenon-P f/1.2 out again for this month - it might have done interesting things wide open with a set of tubes behind it. After May, I have 40-ish, 30-ish, 20-ish and 10-to-teen-ish lenses to shoot before I can consider going back, but we shall see what happens.
dcshooters
05-05-2016, 05:34 AM   #24
Pentaxian

"I couldn't help it. It just popped in there."

I must post a picture tomorrow of my silver K 50/1.2 on th K-1....looks good with a black lens hood.
Yeah..post it, I had been thinking since this copy is in such good condition its a good candidate for DC's handiwork. Probably the closest I will get to that A special edition...at least anytime soon
05-05-2016, 05:39 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
I have over 2000 transactions on ebay. With such a HUGE international audience, virtually everything sells on ebay for what it is worth. I have never seen a "super deal" on ebay (good prices yes, super deals no).

The 50mm f/1.2 lens that was linked to in the original posting has extremely rusted/dirty mount screws! This makes me suspect this lens was used extensively in a corrosive environment (like the beach). I wonder the extent of its' internal corrosion. No way I'm bidding on this lens.
I beg to differ. Most things sell for the going average but you can get lucky based on when an auction ends or even from the wording of the listing or a typo. It just takes patience and frequent searches.

I won a Metz 50 AF-1 for $50, they routinely go for $90-150.

I just won an AF-200 with an official Pentax p-ttl extension cable for $6. That's 1/3 the price of the cheaper aftermarket cables I've seen, and I basically got the flash free!

I also won a bundle with a Super Program, battery winder, A 35-105 f/3.5, A 50 f/1.7, and a dozen filters, all in virtually new condition, for less than the 35-105 was going for in its own.

People tend to not bid when items are bundled since they expect the total price to go higher than the price of the one piece they want.

Time of day is also important. Auctions that end while people are sleeping or at work usually end lower than those that finish in the evening or on weekends.

And for the biggest deals you have to check often to try to catch then. Some of the best deals I've seen were buy it now listings that sold within minutes because they were so far below the going price. Either the seller didn't know what they had and didn't take the time to look up past prices or they just wanted to get rid of it. One of the best I've seen was a Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 sold for $125 last year, like new, with box. He could have easily gotten close to $200, but someone else got lucky that day. (A minute earlier and it would have been mine!)

If I want something I bookmark the search after I've put in my filters. In Firefox I can open a whole folder with dozen bookmarked searches instantly so I can check for new listings of different items in less than a minute without any typing.

Good deals are out there, it just takes time and luck. It might take weeks or months to find a deal on something specific, but if you have patience you can make out in the end.
05-05-2016, 05:39 AM   #26

QuoteOriginally posted by IgorZ Quote
$200 US. The seller says it is in good condition. Seems cheap

Asahi Pentax SMC 50mm F1 2 K Mount Lens | eBay
That's a great deal. I paid a little over 300 and love the lens when used properly.

Should be amazing on my K1 (arriving today!)
05-05-2016, 03:41 PM - 1 Like   #27
Veteran Member

Yeah..post it, I had been thinking since this copy is in such good condition its a good candidate for DC's handiwork. Probably the closest I will get to that A special edition...at least anytime soon
My K-1 all dressed up with it's K 50/1.2

05-05-2016, 04:08 PM   #28
Pentaxian

Wow....that is a glorious site! I'm going to have this done on mine and now that I'm seeing what the K-1 can deliver I am tempted not to wait until midsummer as was previously planned.
05-05-2016, 04:20 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Wow....that is a glorious site! I'm going to have this done on mine and now that I'm seeing what the K-1 can deliver I am tempted not to wait until midsummer as was previously planned.
DCShooter did three for me.... K-1 walk around kit..... K30/2.8, K50/1.2 and K85/1.8

05-05-2016, 04:40 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Man, does that look good! That lens looks so at home, and the wrist strap looks great on there. What brand strap is that?

DCShooter did three for me.... K-1 walk around kit..... K30/2.8, K50/1.2 and K85/1.8
Hubba hubba!