Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread

Another big lens offering - rare one too
Posted By: Wild Mark, 04-29-2016, 04:51 PM

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

If I didn't have the FA version I would be all over this like a rash

Pentax Very Rare SMC Pentax F Zoom Star 250 600mm F5 6 ED IF FOR K Mount A111 | eBay

In fact, I would probably preferred this version to the FA but it seems to be a whole lot rarer.
Views: 3,718
05-03-2016, 08:00 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
Thanks Mark. I'm impatiently awaiting its arrival.
Congrats, I dont remember having seen any images coming from the F version since I am a member here !

05-03-2016, 08:34 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Weevil Quote
Congrats, I dont remember having seen any images coming from the F version since I am a member here !
Thanks. You'll see some soon enough. I believe Asahiflex has posted a few from his.
05-20-2016, 03:09 PM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

I'm still working on a case for this, but so far I'm loving the lens. I'll also post more in a separate thread when I get the case ready.

There are no front filter threads. After being unable to find a pinch cap, I found a great front cover from lenscoat.com. It's similar to the original Pentax leather front cap, but this isn't leather. Plus it was only $16 shipped.

This was the day it arrived:

And this was the day I took it to Yellowstone earlier this week:

Last edited by builttospill; 05-24-2016 at 01:18 PM. Reason: replaced Instagram image with real one
05-20-2016, 03:20 PM   #19
Veteran Member

I'm still working on a case for this, but so far I'm loving the lens. I'll also post more in a separate thread when I get the case ready.

There are no front filter threads. After being unable to find a pinch cap, I found a great front cover from lenscoat.com. It's similar to the original Pentax leather front cap, but this isn't leather. Plus it was only $16 shipped.

Wow! Congratulations!

05-20-2016, 04:44 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Such a great shot with the cubs playing. Awesome!
05-20-2016, 07:37 PM   #21

Photos: Albums
Great shot!
Are you still shooting with a K10?
You know k5s are easily found & are cheap these days.
Anyhow, more pics please..and how do you handle this monster glass, gimball?
05-20-2016, 11:17 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Thank you all. Please excuse the square crop from Instagram.

QuoteOriginally posted by ybo1 Quote
Great shot!
Are you still shooting with a K10?
You know k5s are easily found & are cheap these days.
Anyhow, more pics please..and how do you handle this monster glass, gimball?
I have used my K10D for nearly 10 years and love everything about it. The CCD sensor is still unbeatable to this day at ISO 100. When the K-5 and K-5 IIs was each released, I was given bodies to test. I gave them back. I'll get a K-1 within a year once all the bugs are worked out, but still keep my K10D for the CCDs colors.

B&H sent me a couple nice, heavy-duty tripods with some other gear to test and review a few years ago. They work perfectly for this lens. I also took quite a few handheld shots by holding the tripod mount in my hand and propping my elbow on my knee while crouching.

I'm traveling now, and have another trip scheduled next week. After that I hope I'll have some time to get the case finished and I'll post more pictures.

05-21-2016, 12:26 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Congratulations on the acquisition of this wonderful specimen. Of course this big fellow will require some practice before you start getting tack sharp results.
Honestly I would have gone for the much smaller & lighter Tamron or Sigma versions of this lens.
Modern computer designed optics definitely have better resolution to match today's advanced sensors.

Enjoy your new toy.
Regards.
05-24-2016, 09:21 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nanhi Quote
Modern computer designed optics definitely have better resolution to match today's advanced sensors.
That simply is not true in the case of some of these Pentax Legacy lenses. The proof is in the photos!
05-24-2016, 09:51 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Congratulations on the acquisition of this wonderful specimen. Of course this big fellow will require some practice before you start getting tack sharp results.
Honestly I would have gone for the much smaller & lighter Tamron or Sigma versions of this lens.

Enjoy your new toy.
Regards.
You do know that you don't get the Tamron 150-600 and sigma 150-600 in K mount, right?
05-24-2016, 10:51 AM - 2 Likes   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A wise man doesn't introduce heresy into a gentle, pleasant, happy thread from a long-time good member.
05-24-2016, 11:36 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by littledrawe Quote
That simply is not true in the case of some of these Pentax Legacy lenses. The proof is in the photos!
Yeah, agreed. Taking a look at my signature shows I only own one DA lens (does the DA XS count? If so, then two). None of the DAs really impressed me more than an FA* or FA Limited lens.

Enjoy your new toy.
Regards.
Thank you, I'm excited to have this lens. I have two rules I live and die by: 1) no film cameras without full-manual control (which means I won't ever own an ME, MG, MV, etc.); and 2) no variable aperture zooms. Period.
05-24-2016, 01:17 PM   #28
Pentaxian

I updated the photo above (taking the square Instagram one out), and here's another one.
K10D, wide open at 600mm
05-25-2016, 12:23 AM - 2 Likes   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
A wise man doesn't introduce heresy into a gentle, pleasant, happy thread from a long-time good member.
Haha, sorry monochrome. This nanhi person is a subtle troll, and I thought I'd call him out on that. Nothing more nothing less.