Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Who wants to try to win a Zebra Takumar on e-bay?
Posted By: pathdoc, 05-10-2016, 07:53 AM

55mm f/1.8 Zebra Auto Takumar.

Listing seems pretty detailed. Lots of pictures. 2 days 10 hours to run, current bit $26.00

I'd almost get it myself, but I have this focal length covered in M42 and have no pre-Spotmatic bodies to put it on.
Views: 795
05-10-2016, 08:25 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I might have gone after it, if I didn't already have one from my "zebra" LBA phase. It's the only "zebra" Tak (unless you count the near-mythical 55/1.9, which may just be a 55/1.8 with different labeling). The 55/1.8 Auto-Tak is a fun little lens, but little-to-no coatings, so a (46mm) hood is a must.

05-10-2016, 08:30 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I gather that with the appropriate linkages missing from the camera, the only appropriate way to use it on a DSLR is as with all the other Taks - stop-down only?

My, my - doesn't it suit your silver and black K-01 well!!
05-10-2016, 11:43 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Alas, the OEM 'TAKUMAR' metal lens cap is $375

05-10-2016, 02:51 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If it were made today it would probably be called storm trooper instead of zebra.
05-10-2016, 03:28 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
55mm f/1.8 Zebra Auto Takumar.

Listing seems pretty detailed. Lots of pictures. 2 days 10 hours to run, current bit $26.00

I'd almost get it myself, but I have this focal length covered in M42 and have no pre-Spotmatic bodies to put it on.
Ssch! I don't need more competition...
05-10-2016, 08:35 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
I gather that with the appropriate linkages missing from the camera, the only appropriate way to use it on a DSLR is as with all the other Taks - stop-down only?

My, my - doesn't it suit your silver and black K-01 well!!
Correct - stop down only. The auto feature is a little different from later Takumars - the auto lever is spring loaded and "cocks" the aperture open until the pin is pressed. I use one of the Kipon 'flanged' M42 adapters that keeps the pin pressed. That way, I don't have to take the lens off the camera every time I accidentally cock it.

Zebra lenses look snazzy on pretty much anything. Even though my LBA is currently in remission, I know there's an Isco-Göttingen Westron out there somewhere with my name on it.
05-11-2016, 03:42 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
The auto feature is a little different from later Takumars - the auto lever is spring loaded and "cocks" the aperture open until the pin is pressed.
This is why people want a Spotmatic D or a digital faux-film insert (preferably with wifi tethering to one's smartphone). I think if film ever truly dies, we'll get one. The technology is certainly within the realms of the possible. The results won't be fantastic, but they will keep these old gals a-shootin'.

05-11-2016, 11:20 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
Correct - stop down only. The auto feature is a little different from later Takumars - the auto lever is spring loaded and "cocks" the aperture open until the pin is pressed. I use one of the Kipon 'flanged' M42 adapters that keeps the pin pressed. That way, I don't have to take the lens off the camera every time I accidentally cock it.

Zebra lenses look snazzy on pretty much anything. Even though my LBA is currently in remission, I know there's an Isco-Göttingen Westron out there somewhere with my name on it.
"...I know there's an Isco-Göttingen Westron out there somewhere with my name on it."

Whoa, that is a good looking lens. I've not seen that one before.