Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  
Very Last Chance for KatzEye Focusing Screens ("Final Production Run")
Posted By: fwcetus, 05-11-2016, 07:43 AM

See KatzEye Optics - Custom Focusing Screens
QuoteQuote:
Going Out of Business
Final Production Run!
[...] As of May 9, 2016, we have a very limited amount of remaining material and are preparing to produce our final batch of screens, before closure of the business. What this means is that we will take orders until the final batch is sold out, and then begin to produce the screens to fill those orders. Until the batch is sold out, your order will be held in queue, to be processed in sequence, once production begins. [...]
It would be nice to have most of the last ones going to Pentaxers, and not to all the "riff-raff".

Last edited by fwcetus; 05-11-2016 at 08:11 AM.
Views: 6,550
06-16-2016, 12:25 PM   #91
A Proud PENTAXER !!!
fwcetus's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: New England
Posts: 1,084
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Since my intended use for the K-3 is now long lenses on tripod I imagine the split-image will outperform magnified live view ITO ease of use outdoors.
I think that is true (for ease of use) under most conditions even without a tripod.

I do appreciate live view both for its accuracy and its precision, but not for ease of use, at least when I'm hand-holding a cam w/ lens on it.

06-16-2016, 12:33 PM   #92
Lens Buying Addict
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 19,500
QuoteOriginally posted by fwcetus Quote
I think that is true (for ease of use) under most conditions even without a tripod.
I developed a way to hold my K-01 that works well for live view with dSLR's. Elbows in at sides, classic 'stable base' grip with base supported on left palm and right hand LIGHTLY gripping. Raise camera to about chin height (maybe nose height) and look slightly down at LCD.

You don't have to hold it like a compact and you can reach most of the controls. What you lose is the third support point (brow over viewfinder).
06-16-2016, 02:16 PM   #93
A Proud PENTAXER !!!
fwcetus's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: New England
Posts: 1,084
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I developed a way to hold my K-01 that works well for live view with dSLR's. Elbows in at sides, classic 'stable base' grip with base supported on left palm and right hand LIGHTLY gripping. Raise camera to about chin height (maybe nose height) and look slightly down at LCD.
You don't have to hold it like a compact and you can reach most of the controls. What you lose is the third support point (brow over viewfinder).
I'll give that a try.

I've also tried keeping the neck strap fairly short, and then holding my K-01 (or my K-3 when using live view) out so that it pulls a bit against the tension of the strap coming from the back of my neck -- it seems to help a bit with stability, too.

BTW -- I hope the "This post was made by a User whom you are Ignoring." I see for your sig is a joke of yours -- I certainly don't have you (or anyone) on my "ignore list".
06-16-2016, 02:42 PM   #94
Lens Buying Addict
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 19,500
QuoteOriginally posted by fwcetus Quote
I'll give that a try.

I've also tried keeping the neck strap fairly short, and then holding my K-01 (or my K-3 when using live view) out so that it pulls a bit against the tension of the strap coming from the back of my neck -- it seems to help a bit with stability, too.

BTW -- I hope the "This post was made by a User whom you are Ignoring." I see for your sig is a joke of yours -- I certainly don't have you (or anyone) on my "ignore list".
I think we all do whatever works. Especially if we used cameras before LCD's were not he norm

My sig this week is an ironic reference to the new automatic entry in quoted text when the quoted poster is on the reader's Ignore list (someone asked for a way to block Ignored users' posts even in quoted text, so Adam recently made the change).

06-19-2016, 02:51 AM   #95
Site Supporter
p38arover's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Western Sydney, Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,020
I have literally just finished installing the screen. It looks as though my K-5 is spot on for focussing. I'll try the camera tomorrow in daylight and also with a couple of old MF lenses.
07-21-2016, 06:20 PM   #96
Site Supporter




Join Date: Oct 2009
Photos: Albums
Posts: 387
QuoteOriginally posted by fwcetus Quote
t would be nice to have most of the last ones going to Pentaxers, and not to all the "riff-raff".
Got an email on Tuesday that my KatzEye is on the way.

I first saw this thread, I went to the website, and they were no longer taking orders.

Sent a message to put me on the list if there were any cancellations.

Couple weeks later got a phone call that there were a couple extra blanks, would I like to order?

So we got at least one Pentax representative on what may have been the last run.
07-21-2016, 07:44 PM   #97
Site Supporter
p38arover's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Western Sydney, Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,020
Well, I've tried it but I think it will be coming out of the camera. I find it difficult to see the split prism with the manual lenses I tried with it (Tak M 28mm f2.8, Pentax-A 50mm f2, Tokina SD 400mm f5.6).
07-22-2016, 07:12 AM   #98
Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2015
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 558
QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
Well, I've tried it but I think it will be coming out of the camera. I find it difficult to see the split prism with the manual lenses I tried with it (Tak M 28mm f2.8, Pentax-A 50mm f2, Tokina SD 400mm f5.6).
Curious, did you get the Optibrite treatment with your Katzeye too? I've had near zero issues seeing mine with manual lenses, or using AF ones manually (ie Bower 85 1.4, Revuenon 50 1.4, DA*55, D FA100WR). Perhaps Optibrite is the difference.

07-22-2016, 03:19 PM   #99
Site Supporter
p38arover's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Western Sydney, Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,020
Yes, I did get the OptiBrite.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
af, apertures, autofocus, batch, business, chance for katzeye, change, coupon, focus, katzeye, katzeye focusing screens, lenses, mf, optibrite, pentax, pentax deals, prism, production, savings, screen, screens, screens "final production, split, time, treatment
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Misc On board "Cats" production Heinrich Lohmann Post Your Photos! 7 01-29-2015 08:18 PM
"Click" in between "C" and "MF" mode on focus selector? K-50 maxwolfie Pentax K-30 & K-50 3 01-29-2015 04:19 AM
What does the "P" stand for in "SMCP-FA" pmighetto Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 2 08-27-2014 04:18 PM
"Travor" focusing screens from LinkDelight on eBay - beware Mikhail_Kriviniouk Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 2 10-11-2010 01:04 AM
Very Famous "Index Finger" for Sale benjikan General Talk 24 12-27-2007 09:05 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:16 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top