Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  
Very Last Chance for KatzEye Focusing Screens ("Final Production Run")
Posted By: fwcetus, 05-11-2016, 07:43 AM

See KatzEye Optics - Custom Focusing Screens
QuoteQuote:
Going Out of Business
Final Production Run!
[...] As of May 9, 2016, we have a very limited amount of remaining material and are preparing to produce our final batch of screens, before closure of the business. What this means is that we will take orders until the final batch is sold out, and then begin to produce the screens to fill those orders. Until the batch is sold out, your order will be held in queue, to be processed in sequence, once production begins. [...]
It would be nice to have most of the last ones going to Pentaxers, and not to all the "riff-raff".

Last edited by fwcetus; 05-11-2016 at 08:11 AM.
Views: 9,797
05-11-2016, 12:00 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Thank you. Can anyone tell me the purpose of Optibrite? Most of the time (90%) I use my autofocus zoom lenses but once in a while I do use Helios 50mm and couple of other manual focus prime lenses. Any recommendations?

05-11-2016, 12:32 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by uday029 Quote
Thank you. Can anyone tell me the purpose of Optibrite? Most of the time (90%) I use my autofocus zoom lenses but once in a while I do use Helios 50mm and couple of other manual focus prime lenses. Any recommendations?
If all you did was let autofocus lenses do their thing then you don't need a different focusing screen anyway. These are for folks who do a fair amount of manual focusing.

As for the OptiBrite option I think it generally brightens the view especially at smaller apertures where the standard Katzeye may start to noticeable darken. The trade-off with with OptiBrite is the split circle will be harder to see at wide apertures if you're using lenses like the D FA100, *200 or perhaps even *300 and other fast equivalents. I'm a bit up in the air about the wisdom of adding OptiBrite myself since the DA*200 is one of my most often used. But I also tag it with a 1.4TC or 1.7TC or even both on occasion so I'm just guessing it'll be the right choice for me.

Since it's probably going to be a few weeks before these start shipping out and there's time to modify my order I'm hoping some much-more-experienced user here will offer some free advice

---------- Post added 05-11-16 at 03:50 PM ----------

BTW Rachel said business was still good, but it was simply time to move onto other things.
05-11-2016, 01:13 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
As for the OptiBrite option I think it generally brightens the view especially at smaller apertures where the standard Katzeye may start to noticeable darken. The trade-off with with OptiBrite is the split circle will be harder to see at wide apertures if you're using lenses like the D FA100, *200 or perhaps even *300 and other fast equivalents. I'm a bit up in the air about the wisdom of adding OptiBrite myself since the DA*200 is one of my most often used. But I also tag it with a 1.4TC or 1.7TC or even both on occasion so I'm just guessing it'll be the right choice for me.
I think that the Optibrite treatment affects only the matte area of the screen, making it brighter in appearance at smaller apertures (than it would otherwise appear at smaller apertures) -- I do not think it affects the central focusing aids. [Someone please correct me if I am wrong.]

I think that the Optibrite treatment may also exaggerate the metering error a bit more than the standard screen does. [Someone please correct me if I am wrong.]

I ordered mine this time without the Optribrite treatment (partly to same money, and partly to minimize metering errors). Some of my lenses are fast (some MF, some AF), while some of them are slower (some MF, some AF), but I'm not expecting a significant problem with dark screens... [I may be proven wrong, of course.]
05-11-2016, 01:20 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fwcetus Quote
I think that the Optibrite treatment affects only the matte area of the screen, making it brighter in appearance at smaller apertures (than it would otherwise appear at smaller apertures) -- I do not think it affects the central focusing aids. [Someone please correct me if I am wrong.]

I think that the Optibrite treatment may also exaggerate the metering error a bit more than the standard screen does. [Someone please correct me if I am wrong.]

I ordered mine this time without the Optribrite treatment (partly to same money, and partly to minimize metering errors). Some of my lenses are fast (some MF, some AF), while some of them are slower (some MF, some AF), but I'm not expecting a significant problem with dark screens... [I may be proven wrong, of course.]
Thanks. I just ordered mine without Optibrite as well.

05-11-2016, 02:00 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

I asked Rachel Katz advice on it and I'll let you know what she says.

---------- Post added 05-11-16 at 04:04 PM ----------

And just like that I have the reply, I had asked:
"I added the OptiBrite option but typically shoot fast fixed aperture glass like the Sigma 17-50 and Pentax *200, both F2.8's. But I also sometimes add a 1.4 or 1.7 tele-extender to the *200. If you think I should stick with the stock Katzeye for best results feel free to modify my order"

And her answer:
"... I would be happy to change your order if you’d like, but I honestly think you made the right call. Your f2.8 lenses are on the border in terms of seeing justifiable benefit from the OptiBrite treatment, but the tele-converters definitely push it into solidly recommended for the OptiBrite. So unless you decide you’ve changed your mind, I would not be inclined to change the order."

So there 'ya go. They are very responsive so if there's other questions for them just send an email. It's going to be sad to see them go. Companies with good service like this are becoming much too rare.

Last edited by gatorguy; 05-11-2016 at 02:07 PM.
05-11-2016, 03:35 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Thank you for sharing. However, I have read on some other forums that having Optibrite leads to added impact on metering. I guess, there are both pluses and minuses.

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
I asked Rachel Katz advice on it and I'll let you know what she says.

---------- Post added 05-11-16 at 04:04 PM ----------

And just like that I have the reply, I had asked:
"I added the OptiBrite option but typically shoot fast fixed aperture glass like the Sigma 17-50 and Pentax *200, both F2.8's. But I also sometimes add a 1.4 or 1.7 tele-extender to the *200. If you think I should stick with the stock Katzeye for best results feel free to modify my order"

And her answer:
"... I would be happy to change your order if you’d like, but I honestly think you made the right call. Your f2.8 lenses are on the border in terms of seeing justifiable benefit from the OptiBrite treatment, but the tele-converters definitely push it into solidly recommended for the OptiBrite. So unless you decide you’ve changed your mind, I would not be inclined to change the order."

So there 'ya go. They are very responsive so if there's other questions for them just send an email. It's going to be sad to see them go. Companies with good service like this are becoming much too rare.
05-11-2016, 03:59 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by uday029 Quote
Thank you for sharing. However, I have read on some other forums that having Optibrite leads to added impact on metering. I guess, there are both pluses and minuses.
I kinda trust Ms. Katz, who has tested these on dozens of camera models, for the proper advice. According to her there's negligible effect on metering.

"Generally, most of the light meter effects (if there are any) are caused by the presence of the prism itself, and not by the brightness of the screen or the OptiBrite™ treatment. In most cameras, OptiBrite™ treatment will cause a maximum of 1/3 f-stops shift of the light meter."

05-11-2016, 05:03 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I'll be dead when my wife finds I've ordered one with OptiBrite - A$256 - that's half what I paid for the K-5.

I suppose it will be easy to sell if I don't like it.
05-11-2016, 06:14 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
I'll be dead when my wife finds I've ordered one with OptiBrite - A$256 - that's half what I paid for the K-5.

You certainly bought the Cadillac. All the engraving lines?
05-11-2016, 09:23 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
You certainly bought the Cadillac. All the engraving lines?
No. I really didn't know what I wanted and the extra cost would have pushed to about $312.

If I can change my order, does anyone have any suggestions?

Last edited by p38arover; 05-11-2016 at 11:57 PM.
05-12-2016, 12:59 AM - 1 Like   #26

QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote

Not cheap, but they are supposed to be the ducks guts.

I think this purchase will have to be all our little secret
05-12-2016, 05:17 AM   #27
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GodsPetMonkey Quote
I think this purchase will have to be all our little secret
Yes - it's just between you and me - oh, and the Internet.

05-12-2016, 05:26 AM   #28
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Just today from KatzEye Optics - Custom Focusing Screens -
QuoteQuote:
Orders have been collected over the past few days for a final production run. As of 12 May 2016, that production run is now full and no further orders can be accepted.
However -
QuoteQuote:
Our customer support will continue to be available - we still stand behind every product we shipped. If you have any concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us.
05-12-2016, 05:27 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter

Just today from KatzEye Optics - Custom Focusing Screens -

However -
Dang that was quick. Glad I didn't ponder over it for a day or two.
05-12-2016, 06:06 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My father used to tell me: He who hesitates is lost. Dang, I should have listened! Guess I missed the boat on this one.