Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
1 Like  
Very Last Chance for KatzEye Focusing Screens ("Final Production Run")
Posted By: fwcetus, 05-11-2016, 07:43 AM

See KatzEye Optics - Custom Focusing Screens
QuoteQuote:
Going Out of Business
Final Production Run!
[...] As of May 9, 2016, we have a very limited amount of remaining material and are preparing to produce our final batch of screens, before closure of the business. What this means is that we will take orders until the final batch is sold out, and then begin to produce the screens to fill those orders. Until the batch is sold out, your order will be held in queue, to be processed in sequence, once production begins. [...]
It would be nice to have most of the last ones going to Pentaxers, and not to all the "riff-raff".

Last edited by fwcetus; 05-11-2016 at 08:11 AM.
Views: 9,836
05-12-2016, 12:58 PM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fwcetus Quote
I think that the Optibrite treatment affects only the matte area of the screen, making it brighter in appearance at smaller apertures (than it would otherwise appear at smaller apertures) -- I do not think it affects the central focusing aids. [Someone please correct me if I am wrong.]

I think that the Optibrite treatment may also exaggerate the metering error a bit more than the standard screen does. [Someone please correct me if I am wrong.]

I ordered mine this time without the Optribrite treatment (partly to same money, and partly to minimize metering errors). Some of my lenses are fast (some MF, some AF), while some of them are slower (some MF, some AF), but I'm not expecting a significant problem with dark screens... [I may be proven wrong, of course.]
Spot metering with any split prism focus screen is unreliable on a DSLR - which is a given - but centre-weighted and matrix metering work just fine with or without Optibrite treated screens. I always chimp the first shots to check and adjust the exposure with exposure compensation regardless of the lens used, the shots following thereafter are mostly consistent.

Optibrite treatment does noticeably increase the brightness of the focus screen over the focus screen without the Optibrite treatment. I was fortunate enough to acquire KatzEye focus screens with Optibrite treatment for both of my Pentax DSLR (K10D, K-5 - K10D already had a KatzEye screen without Optibrite treatment).

Having a brighter focus screen means that whether you use fast lenses or not, you can start shooting earlier in the dawn and finish later into the dusk. And as any photographer knows, truly magical lighting conditions occur in the early dawn or late dusk hours - I am just too lazy to go out and shoot in those wee hours.

05-12-2016, 02:02 PM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
Optibrite treatment does noticeably increase the brightness of the focus screen over the focus screen without the Optibrite treatment. I was fortunate enough to acquire KatzEye focus screens with Optibrite treatment for both of my Pentax DSLR (K10D, K-5 - K10D already had a KatzEye screen without Optibrite treatment).

Having a brighter focus screen means that whether you use fast lenses or not, you can start shooting earlier in the dawn and finish later into the dusk. And as any photographer knows, truly magical lighting conditions occur in the early dawn or late dusk hours - I am just too lazy to go out and shoot in those wee hours.
That's a point I hadn't even considered. It makes me feel even better about choosing it as an option. Thanks for your posting your experience with KatzEye screens.
05-12-2016, 04:36 PM   #33
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
Having a brighter focus screen means that whether you use fast lenses or not, you can start shooting earlier in the dawn and finish later into the dusk
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
That's a point I hadn't even considered. It makes me feel even better about choosing it as an option. Thanks for your posting your experience with KatzEye screens.
Ah, I hadn't thought of that. I just emailed Rachel and upgraded to OptiBrite Treatment. Thanks for the input.
05-12-2016, 05:30 PM - 1 Like   #34
Site Supporter

Original Poster
When I emailed Rachel to "upgrade" my order to OptiBrite treatment, I mentioned to her that I had started this thread in the PF "Price Watch" forum to make fellow Pentaxers aware of the "Last Roundup" of KatzEye screens, and she noted,
QuoteQuote:
That explains why the final batch is almost all Pentax screens!
And so, as I hoped for in the original post,
QuoteQuote:
most of the last ones [~did~ go] to Pentaxers, and not to all the "riff-raff".

05-12-2016, 05:59 PM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fwcetus Quote
When I emailed Rachel to "upgrade" my order to OptiBrite treatment, I mentioned to her that I had started this thread in the PF "Price Watch" forum to make fellow Pentaxers aware of the "Last Roundup" of KatzEye screens, and she noted,

And so, as I hoped for in the original post,

You did good grasshopper
05-12-2016, 06:18 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Haha!
Earlier this evening, as I wrote her an email to thank her for my screen and tell her that it arrived safely (you reminded me, thanks!), I wondered what percentage of the last batch are pentax screens..
Cool
05-12-2016, 07:23 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Topsy Quote
Haha!
Earlier this evening, as I wrote her an email to thank her for my screen and tell her that it arrived safely (you reminded me, thanks!), I
Heck, that was quick.

I wonder if I'm too late to add focus lines to mine? Should I add others?

05-12-2016, 07:38 PM - 1 Like   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
Heck, that was quick.

I wonder if I'm too late to add focus lines to mine? Should I add others?

Quick? No, I forgot to thank her for about a month, I ordered mine when the other 'final' batch was announced back in September.
But don't worry, that delay was caused by them waiting for enough pre orders, relocating the machines and setting up again. It shouldn't take as long this time round.

I shouldn't have forgotten this detail in my post above..

Anyways, it's worth any wait!
05-12-2016, 07:56 PM   #39
Veteran Member

I've emailed asking for Pentax AF brackets and the architectural grid.
05-12-2016, 08:26 PM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeargh! I just now stumbled across this thread. It looks like I missed the boat by a matter of *hours*. A screen for my brand new K-S2 would have been the final thing it needed to be perfect. . .
05-12-2016, 08:42 PM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tony Belding Quote
Yeargh! I just now stumbled across this thread. It looks like I missed the boat by a matter of *hours*. A screen for my brand new K-S2 would have been the final thing it needed to be perfect. . .

Me too. The real irony is that I went to their site today for nostalgia and saw that they had recently done another run (I didn't realize HOW recently) and I was even sadder. Then I found this thread. Now I'm super bummed.

Sigh.
05-13-2016, 04:51 AM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tony Belding Quote
I'll let you know how it does on my KS2...

I was lucky to read the thread when it popped up here a couple days ago. I normally wouldn't have bothered as I figured it was just some old news. Even when I clicked the link for the heck of it I expected the previous"sorry out of business" statement. Surprise! Big thanks to the OP.
05-13-2016, 06:09 AM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I was just wondering what the yield is on manufacturing the screens? Unless it's 100%, I would think that not all the remaining material would be committed to a customer order. Is it possible they are running a couple of extra pieces in parallel (just in case)?
05-13-2016, 06:14 AM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
I'll be dead when my wife finds I've ordered one with OptiBrite - A$256 - that's half what I paid for the K-5.

I suppose it will be easy to sell if I don't like it.
You'd better not start lusting over a K-1 anytime soon!
05-13-2016, 02:47 PM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by southlander Quote
You'd better not start lusting over a K-1 anytime soon!
I've already tried that but to no avail!