Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
1 Like  
Very Last Chance for KatzEye Focusing Screens ("Final Production Run")
Posted By: fwcetus, 05-11-2016, 07:43 AM

See KatzEye Optics - Custom Focusing Screens
QuoteQuote:
Going Out of Business
Final Production Run!
[...] As of May 9, 2016, we have a very limited amount of remaining material and are preparing to produce our final batch of screens, before closure of the business. What this means is that we will take orders until the final batch is sold out, and then begin to produce the screens to fill those orders. Until the batch is sold out, your order will be held in queue, to be processed in sequence, once production begins. [...]
It would be nice to have most of the last ones going to Pentaxers, and not to all the "riff-raff".

Last edited by fwcetus; 05-11-2016 at 08:11 AM.
Views: 9,842
06-16-2016, 12:25 PM   #91
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Since my intended use for the K-3 is now long lenses on tripod I imagine the split-image will outperform magnified live view ITO ease of use outdoors.
I think that is true (for ease of use) under most conditions even without a tripod.

I do appreciate live view both for its accuracy and its precision, but not for ease of use, at least when I'm hand-holding a cam w/ lens on it.

06-16-2016, 12:33 PM   #92
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fwcetus Quote
I think that is true (for ease of use) under most conditions even without a tripod.
I developed a way to hold my K-01 that works well for live view with dSLR's. Elbows in at sides, classic 'stable base' grip with base supported on left palm and right hand LIGHTLY gripping. Raise camera to about chin height (maybe nose height) and look slightly down at LCD.

You don't have to hold it like a compact and you can reach most of the controls. What you lose is the third support point (brow over viewfinder).
06-16-2016, 02:16 PM   #93
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I developed a way to hold my K-01 that works well for live view with dSLR's. Elbows in at sides, classic 'stable base' grip with base supported on left palm and right hand LIGHTLY gripping. Raise camera to about chin height (maybe nose height) and look slightly down at LCD.
You don't have to hold it like a compact and you can reach most of the controls. What you lose is the third support point (brow over viewfinder).
I'll give that a try.

I've also tried keeping the neck strap fairly short, and then holding my K-01 (or my K-3 when using live view) out so that it pulls a bit against the tension of the strap coming from the back of my neck -- it seems to help a bit with stability, too.

BTW -- I hope the "This post was made by a User whom you are Ignoring." I see for your sig is a joke of yours -- I certainly don't have you (or anyone) on my "ignore list".
06-16-2016, 02:42 PM   #94
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'll give that a try.

I've also tried keeping the neck strap fairly short, and then holding my K-01 (or my K-3 when using live view) out so that it pulls a bit against the tension of the strap coming from the back of my neck -- it seems to help a bit with stability, too.

BTW -- I hope the "This post was made by a User whom you are Ignoring." I see for your sig is a joke of yours -- I certainly don't have you (or anyone) on my "ignore list".
I think we all do whatever works. Especially if we used cameras before LCD's were not he norm

My sig this week is an ironic reference to the new automatic entry in quoted text when the quoted poster is on the reader's Ignore list (someone asked for a way to block Ignored users' posts even in quoted text, so Adam recently made the change).

06-19-2016, 02:51 AM   #95
Veteran Member

I have literally just finished installing the screen. It looks as though my K-5 is spot on for focussing. I'll try the camera tomorrow in daylight and also with a couple of old MF lenses.
07-21-2016, 06:20 PM   #96
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
t would be nice to have most of the last ones going to Pentaxers, and not to all the "riff-raff".
Got an email on Tuesday that my KatzEye is on the way.

I first saw this thread, I went to the website, and they were no longer taking orders.

Sent a message to put me on the list if there were any cancellations.

Couple weeks later got a phone call that there were a couple extra blanks, would I like to order?

So we got at least one Pentax representative on what may have been the last run.
07-21-2016, 07:44 PM   #97
Veteran Member

Well, I've tried it but I think it will be coming out of the camera. I find it difficult to see the split prism with the manual lenses I tried with it (Tak M 28mm f2.8, Pentax-A 50mm f2, Tokina SD 400mm f5.6).

07-22-2016, 07:12 AM   #98
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
Well, I've tried it but I think it will be coming out of the camera. I find it difficult to see the split prism with the manual lenses I tried with it (Tak M 28mm f2.8, Pentax-A 50mm f2, Tokina SD 400mm f5.6).
Curious, did you get the Optibrite treatment with your Katzeye too? I've had near zero issues seeing mine with manual lenses, or using AF ones manually (ie Bower 85 1.4, Revuenon 50 1.4, DA*55, D FA100WR). Perhaps Optibrite is the difference.
07-22-2016, 03:19 PM   #99
Veteran Member

Yes, I did get the OptiBrite.