Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

64Gb Extreme Pro SD 2-pack for $64.95
Posted By: Adam, 05-12-2016, 04:12 PM

You can get two Sandisk Extreme Pro 64Gb cards for just $64.95 this week, though a special B&H kit.

These are the fastest card speeds currently supported by Pentax cameras, plus you get a lifetime limited warranty. A great setup for the K-1!

SanDisk 64GB Extreme Pro UHS-I SDXC U3 Memory Card (2-Pack) B&H

Views: 1,142
05-13-2016, 11:40 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by disco_owner Quote
Due to certain restriction this item cannot be shipped to Australia
If B&H won't ship Sandisk to Oz, PNY will ship their cards. I've bought three times now, from PNY on Amazon. Shipping to Oz is reasonable.

Search Amazon for PNY Elite Performance 64 GB High Speed SDXC Class 10 UHS-I, U3 up to 95 MB/Sec Flash Card (P-SDX64U395-GE)

Prices in USD:
64GB $22.99 + $5.08 Shipping & Import Fees Deposit to Australia
128GB: $44.83 + $5.05 Shipping & Import Fees Deposit to Australia

This card writes at approx 60MBps, but a lot of cameras won't take advantage of the Sandisk Extreme's Pro's faster write speed. Here's my test results

I've used h2testw for years. It's a very small utility from a German tech magazine, but there's an English language radio button on it. Very simple. Select your USB stick or SD card drive letter. It offers to fill it up and then to verify it. This is to prove that the capacity stated in the card's FAT is not bogus. You can instead choose a different fill amount if you want to do it faster e.g. changing formatting parameters and checking their effect on Write and Read speed. It writes separate 1GB (230bytes) gibberish files, so caching will not alter the results. But I presumed these files are CRCed as it can tell, when reading them back, if they're valid.

http://www.heise.de/download/h2testw.html

The speed will depend on the speed on your ext. USB3 card reader. I get a W/R of 61.1/82.4 Mbytes/sec with a PNY Elite Performance 64GB UHS-1. (Note that the "MB" reported by this utility is 220 bytes, not 106 bytes, so the values are 4.9% lower than what the storage industry uses.)

I've also got two Sandisk Extreme Pro 64GB UHS-1 cards ("95Mbps"). They give a W/R of 81.7/83.7 Mbytes/sec.

However with a fast USBstick direct into the PC's USB3 socket I've seen a read speed of over 90Mpbs. So I expect that the no-name USB3 card reader is the limiting factor.

Dan.

05-14-2016, 12:02 AM   #17
Tas
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dosdan Quote
If B&H won't ship Sandisk to Oz, PNY will ship their cards. I've bought three times now, from PNY on Amazon. Shipping to Oz is reasonable.

Search Amazon for PNY Elite Performance 64 GB High Speed SDXC Class 10 UHS-I, U3 up to 95 MB/Sec Flash Card (P-SDX64U395-GE)

Prices in USD:

This card writes at approx 60MBps, but a lot of cameras won't take advantage of the Sandisk Extreme's Pro's faster write speed. Here's my test results

I've used h2testw for years. It's a very small utility from a German tech magazine, but there's an English language radio button on it. Very simple. Select your USB stick or SD card drive letter. It offers to fill it up and then to verify it. This is to prove that the capacity stated in the card's FAT is not bogus. You can instead choose a different fill amount if you want to do it faster e.g. changing formatting parameters and checking their effect on Write and Read speed. It writes separate 1GB (230bytes) gibberish files, so caching will not alter the results. But I presumed these files are CRCed as it can tell, when reading them back, if they're valid.

H2testw - Download - heise online

The speed will depend on the speed on your ext. USB3 card reader. I get a W/R of 61.1/82.4 Mbytes/sec with a PNY Elite Performance 64GB UHS-1. (Note that the "MB" reported by this utility is 220 bytes, not 106 bytes, so the values are 4.9% lower than what the storage industry uses.)

I've also got two Sandisk Extreme Pro 64GB UHS-1 cards ("95Mbps"). They give a W/R of 81.7/83.7 Mbytes/sec.

However with a fast USBstick direct into the PC's USB3 socket I've seen a read speed of over 90Mpbs. So I expect that the no-name USB3 card reader is the limiting factor.

Dan.
I got my two 64GB Sandisk Extreme Pro's from B&H, but that was before this particular offer. Not shipping to Oz may have more to do with the offer than B&H shipping to here, though unless the Disco Duck ( sorry, couldn't help myself) tells us more that's just conjecture.

Dan, I don't doubt your findings about W/R speeds of the cards or the bargain price of the SD cards you refer to, but my choice is more due to problems with other manufacturer's cards failing on me. I've not had issues with the Sandisks I've used, so whilst I expect they do fail from time to time my experience so far is they are very reliable and worth a couple of extra bob for this reason.

Tas

---------- Post added 05-14-16 at 05:10 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The SD spec loves backwards-compatibility, so UHS-II cards will work in UHS-I mode on devices that lack the second row of pins. Whether or not the bus will deliver the maximum possible UHS-I speed will depend on the card itself, but I'd say it's unlikely.

So the bottom line is that UHS-I Extreme Pro cards are at least as good and possibly better than UHS-II cards when used with the K-1.
Thanks Adam, doing a bit of research after reading your comment has cleared that up. I done learned stuff.

Considering that information and the price difference, I'm glad I stuck with the Extreme Pros.

Tas
05-14-2016, 03:22 AM   #18
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dosdan Quote

Prices in USD:

H2testw - Download - heise online

Dan.
I use these cards for Both Video and Stills and mainly try and keep my momory cards the same. I have 4 x Extreme Pro 64GB 95 Mb/s cards in my camera bag that I take with me on long trips and a seperate USB powered 2 x TB hard drives and at the end of each day I back up my data on the Mac and the H/D so I have 3 copies of the files. so I really don't need any more Memory cards. was trying to point out that when I tried to check out with that offer B&H site happended to come up with " Due to Certain restrictions this item cannot be shipped to OZ. as Grant mentioned that might have to do more with the offer rather than B&H. at the moment the online ordering system is offline for me, but your Analysis of the memory cards and the different types & speeds is very insighful.
05-14-2016, 03:52 AM   #19
Tas
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by disco_owner Quote
at the moment the online ordering system is offline for me,
B&H observe a religious holiday each week and do not take orders over that period. I think they would be taking orders again by now. Why don't you check again?

05-14-2016, 04:02 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
B&H gave me this notice after I supplied the Australian State I was in, and went to close the deal:

QuoteQuote:
"Shipping Restriction

Due to the manufacturers restriction, we are unable to accept orders with the provided shipping address for the following item(s):

SanDisk 64GB Extreme Pro UHS-I SDXC U3 Memory Card (2-Pack) "
05-14-2016, 02:42 PM   #21
Tas
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
B&H gave me this notice after I supplied the Australian State I was in, and went to close the deal:
Interesting, and alongs with Disco's experience. Maybe 'somebody' just wants up to pay more for these cards, just like the software situation has been for us.