Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
64Gb Extreme Pro SD 2-pack for $64.95
Posted By: Adam, 05-12-2016, 04:12 PM

You can get two Sandisk Extreme Pro 64Gb cards for just $64.95 this week, though a special B&H kit.

These are the fastest card speeds currently supported by Pentax cameras, plus you get a lifetime limited warranty. A great setup for the K-1!

SanDisk 64GB Extreme Pro UHS-I SDXC U3 Memory Card (2-Pack) B&H

Views: 1,168
05-12-2016, 04:34 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I just bought 3 128gb cards for the K1 last night.
Good deal on these though.
05-12-2016, 05:05 PM   #3
Tas
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
You can get two Sandisk Extreme Pro 64Gb cards for just $64.95 this week, though a special B&H kit.

These are the fastest card speeds currently supported by Pentax cameras, plus you get a lifetime limited warranty. A great setup for the K-1!

How's the irony?

I saw the price drop a couple of weeks ago, jumped online to purchase two Sandisk 64GB Extreme Pro cards, as per this offer. They arrived this morning, and now there's an even bigger saving to be had. Doh!

Anyhoo, despite travelling half the planet the purchase saved me about $100 on buying them locally. No complaints but some seriously ironic timing.
05-12-2016, 05:09 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Man, I placed two orders at Adorama this week. Within the week, B&H had a better price.

This one was only $3 less, though, so not so bad.

05-12-2016, 06:08 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Looks like I need a new card or two and these would work well. Today I RMA'd a two year old Extreme Pro card and waiting to hear back on whether they replace it. Part of the case of the card broke and my cam no longer recognizes it, though it works okay in my laptop. Fingers crossed.
05-13-2016, 06:08 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Does the K-1 Support 90MB/S write speed ?
05-13-2016, 07:46 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Weevil Quote
Does the K-1 Support 90MB/S write speed ?
I haven't been able to find an exact bus speed for the K-1. Perhaps someone else can tell us.

If you look at these Ricoh specifications, it says, "Storage Media - SD, SDHC and SDXC Memory Card (Conforms to USH-I standards)."

Sdcard.org has a page here that deals with USH bus speeds. If I read the chart correctly, the bus probably has a minimum speed of 50MB/s, and a maximum of 104MB/s.

Even if the speed of the K-1 bus is only 50MB/s, and you have a modern computer capable of fast read speeds, the read speed of a 95MB/s card will cut down the wait time when transferring images to your hard drive.

Update: According to TheCameraStore, the camera is equipped with "Dual SD card slots for memory card flexibility (compatible with SDXC UHS-1 speed class in SDR104 buss speed mode)"

According to sdcard.org, the SDR104 specification is 104MB/s

Last edited by rgknief60; 05-13-2016 at 08:06 PM.
05-13-2016, 08:10 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rgknief60 Quote
I haven't been able to find an exact bus speed for the K-1. Perhaps someone else can tell us.

If you look at these Ricoh specifications, it says, "Storage Media - SD, SDHC and SDXC Memory Card (Conforms to USH-I standards)."

Sdcard.org has a page here that deals with USH bus speeds. If I read the chart correctly, the bus probably has a minimum speed of 50MB/s, and a maximum of 104MB/s.

Even if the speed of the K-1 bus is only 50MB/s, and you have a modern computer capable of fast read speeds, the read speed of a 95MB/s card will cut down the wait time when transferring images to your hard drive.
Thanks Roger,
I was more curious about the write speed because when one does hi speed burst mode, the buffer clears faster with a fast SD card, but to what extend the 90MB/s of the Extreme Pro is faster than other Extreme SD at 80MB/S is not clear in my mind... If the K-1, or the K-3 is able to write at 90MB/S, yes it worth it.... but otherwise the extra dollars are not required... Unless one buy them in the event of a faster future DSLR body...

This is a discussion that I have seen many many times... but nobody can give a clear answer on the Pentax Bodies write speeds...

The bottleneck I am having with downloaded image is not to copy them in the computer, but rather to generate 1:1 previews on Lr...

05-13-2016, 08:31 PM - 1 Like   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Thanks Roger,
I was more curious about the write speed because when one does hi speed burst mode, the buffer clears faster with a fast SD card, but to what extend the 90MB/s of the Extreme Pro is faster than other Extreme SD at 80MB/S is not clear in my mind... If the K-1, or the K-3 is able to write at 90MB/S, yes it worth it.... but otherwise the extra dollars are not required... Unless one buy them in the event of a faster future DSLR body...

This is a discussion that I have seen many many times... but nobody can give a clear answer on the Pentax Bodies write speeds...

The bottleneck I am having with downloaded image is not to copy them in the computer, but rather to generate 1:1 previews on Lr...
Yes, it supports the UHS-I bus speed. It can write a bit faster than extreme plus cards, but not quite as far as extreme pro cards. Still, it's good to have the fastest cards available.

The exact figures will be available in our in-depth review

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-13-2016, 09:13 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter

Wish I could have given you a better answer, Sylvain. Guess we will have to wait patiently for Adam!

Regarding Lightroom: try doing that on an almost 10 year old laptop, 1.8Ghz processor and 2GB memory! I quickly found out I don't load up a whole bunch of DNGs at once in Camera Raw (as I do with the K-5IIs PEFs).

I am looking for a new computer. In my research, I found out that Lightroom does better with a higher GHz processor and upper end video cards. Photoshop makes great use of a Xeon processor with multiple cores, but doesn't max out a video card as fast. I also learned that getting a Xeon with multiple cores *and* a high Ghz rating would quickly bankrupt me.

For both Photoshop, and Lightroom, lots of memory is a plus.

Looking forward to it!
05-13-2016, 09:28 PM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rgknief60 Quote
Wish I could have given you a better answer, Sylvain. Guess we will have to wait patiently for Adam!

Regarding Lightroom: try doing that on an almost 10 year old laptop, 1.8Ghz processor and 2GB memory! I quickly found out I don't load up a whole bunch of DNGs at once in Camera Raw (as I do with the K-5IIs PEFs).

I am looking for a new computer. In my research, I found out that Lightroom does better with a higher GHz processor and upper end video cards. Photoshop makes great use of a Xeon processor with multiple cores, but doesn't max out a video card as fast. I also learned that getting a Xeon with multiple cores *and* a high Ghz rating would quickly bankrupt me.

For both Photoshop, and Lightroom, lots of memory is a plus.

Looking forward to it!
A core i5 laptop with a dedicated GPU should be just fine

Another thing to look at is bus speed, both for the USB ports, built-in card reader, and SSD.

Adam

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-13-2016, 09:46 PM   #12
Pentaxian

..... It can write a bit faster than extreme plus cards, but not quite as far as extreme pro cards. Still, it's good to have the fastest cards available.

Good to know!
So it would be .... let me guess: 80MB/s ?

Extreme (Plus)* = 60MB/s write
Extreme Pro = 90 MB/s write
Extreme Pro UHS-II = up to 250 MB/s !!! (1667X).

* I think they changed the name to only "Extreme" now, but kept the gold label... anyways, they change name all the time to get us mixed up...
05-13-2016, 10:07 PM   #13
Tas
Site Supporter

Good to know!
So it would be .... let me guess: 80MB/s ?

Extreme (Plus)* = 60MB/s write
Extreme Pro = 90 MB/s write
Extreme Pro UHS-II = up to 250 MB/s !!! (1667X).

* I think they changed the name to only "Extreme" now, but kept the gold label... anyways, they change name all the time to get us mixed up...
Please note, that not all cameras are compatible with UHS-II cards. The K-1 specifications identify it as being UHS-I compatible. I don't know that UHS-II will work with the K-1 or other Pentax cameras. Do you know if this is the case?

Tas
05-13-2016, 10:52 PM   #14
Site Supporter

Due to certain restriction this item cannot be shipped to Australia 😉
05-13-2016, 11:16 PM   #15
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
Please note, that not all cameras are compatible with UHS-II cards. The K-1 specifications identify it as being UHS-I compatible. I don't know that UHS-II will work with the K-1 or other Pentax cameras. Do you know if this is the case?

Tas
The SD spec loves backwards-compatibility, so UHS-II cards will work in UHS-I mode on devices that lack the second row of pins. Whether or not the bus will deliver the maximum possible UHS-I speed will depend on the card itself, but I'd say it's unlikely.

So the bottom line is that UHS-I Extreme Pro cards are at least as good and possibly better than UHS-II cards when used with the K-1.

Adam