Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
Takumar 83mm 1.9
Posted By: Wild Mark, 06-01-2016, 11:15 PM

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Wowsers

Extremely Rare F 1 9 83mm Asahi Takumar 42mm Screw Mount Lens FOR Pentax Bodies | eBay

"Tell him he's dreaming son" [said with some typical Aussie twang]

('The Castle' an Australian film exhibiting the quintessential essence of the working man)
Views: 7,134
06-02-2016, 03:10 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
there is beautiful story behind that price: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/173-general-photography/322235-stinky-seller.html
06-02-2016, 04:00 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I would be interested in this lens if the seller was realistic. He is dreaming
06-02-2016, 07:37 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wild Mark Quote
I would be interested in this lens if the seller was realistic. He is dreaming
Apparently, you'd also have to assure him you weren't going to actually use the lens.

06-02-2016, 08:46 AM   #5
Pentaxian

If I were filthy stupidly rich - the sort of rich for which the K-1 and all the D-FA lenses together are pocket change - I would buy this lens and spam his inbox daily with hundreds and hundreds of images, all taken with it or (worse!) taken OF it on cameras being used by others, preferably by tweenage amateurs holding the camera in such a way that the selection and use of Green mode was patently obvious.

Is there anyone among us so rich that they would be willing to do this?
06-02-2016, 01:14 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
full payment, including all shipping, handling, and insurance costs, is due within 8 hours of any offer acceptance
Perhaps ebay has changed since I used it last but an 8 hour window? The seller can't be serious.
06-02-2016, 02:51 PM   #7
Pentaxian

He might be serious, but IMO he is not being realistic. I've gone to bed on a bid that still has time to run, been lucky enough to win and not paid for it for twelve hours, and I still get feedback like "Excellent, super-fast payment, A+ buyer" (which makes me wonder what other sorts of experiences the seller has had!!). That being said, if I am actually at a half-decent computer at the moment of victory (as opposed to a tablet or cellphone), I do log in to Paypal immediately to cough up.

If for some reason I anticipate a delay in payment, I will warn the seller. And Buy It Now is of course Buy It NOW (and PAY for it now).

06-02-2016, 03:02 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

That might be a rare lens, but for a collector's item it sure looks a little beaten up.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-02-2016, 03:28 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Out of morbid curiosity I looked up ebay's non payment policy,

Unpaid item policy

QuoteQuote:
When a buyer wins an item or uses Buy It Now to purchase an item, the buyer is obligated to complete the purchase by sending full payment to the seller.

If a buyer doesn't pay within 2 days, a seller can open an unpaid item case in the Resolution Center. If the buyer still doesn't pay or reach some other agreement with the seller, eBay may record the unpaid item on the buyer's account.
I have a feeling if he tried to report someone for nonpayment, 8 hours after he (or the buyer) accepts the offer, ebay would tell him to cool his jets. which would get really awkward if the buyer sends payment 12hrs after the deal was agreed to.

EDIT: But then again this seller has 1523 transactions and 100% feed back rating, so maybe he/she does know what they're doing...
06-02-2016, 07:05 PM   #10
iht
Veteran Member

The seller does seem a bit abrupt - he begins the listing with, "If you ask me a question that is already answered below, I will not respond to you."

But, this IS a very rare lens, and it IS a very early version of the lens. His descriptions are not deceptive. For the rarity of the lens, it seems like it's in okay condition to me.

The price is definitely on the high side, but is it really THAT outrageous? Can anyone find another M42 83/1.9 on sale anywhere else? If not, the seller is offering something unique. The seller is obviously testing the market, and you never know - he might find a buyer who has been after this lens for years and couldn't find one. And in addition, the seller has 100% feedback and a high score, so maybe one should think twice before mocking someone on a public forum. (I should say at this point that I'm NOT the seller!)

As for postage, it's also on the high side, but then again, I'm of the school that as long as the seller lists everything up front, I'm okay with that - as the buyer you just factor it in.
06-02-2016, 07:23 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by iht Quote
The seller does seem a bit abrupt - he begins the listing with, "If you ask me a question that is already answered below, I will not respond to you."

But, this IS a very rare lens, and it IS a very early version of the lens. His descriptions are not deceptive. For the rarity of the lens, it seems like it's in okay condition to me.

The price is definitely on the high side, but is it really THAT outrageous? Can anyone find another M42 83/1.9 on sale anywhere else? If not, the seller is offering something unique. The seller is obviously testing the market, and you never know - he might find a buyer who has been after this lens for years and couldn't find one. And in addition, the seller has 100% feedback and a high score, so maybe one should think twice before mocking someone on a public forum. (I should say at this point that I'm NOT the seller!)

As for postage, it's also on the high side, but then again, I'm of the school that as long as the seller lists everything up front, I'm okay with that - as the buyer you just factor it in.
I'm not making excuses for calling him out. He was insulting in the majority of messages that we traded, for no good reason in most of them, and there's no call for being an a-hole with no provocation. He's a jerk.
06-03-2016, 12:08 AM   #12
iht
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TomTom Quote
I'm not making excuses for calling him out. He was insulting in the majority of messages that we traded, for no good reason in most of them, and there's no call for being an a-hole with no provocation. He's a jerk.
@TomTom, very sorry to hear about the unfortunate exchange with the seller.

I agree with you in that the seller should never be rude in his communication. It's fair enough to call him out on that.

My point was more on the subject of assessing a seller's pricing - the listing price and postage price, and also how we treat sellers in a public forum.

For this listing, I think the listing price on the high side, but it's not outrageously so given the rarity of the item (I still challenge someone to find an equivalent lens on the market, anywhere). As for postage (mentioned in another thread), I don't see a problem with listing a high postage price, as long as it's stated up front. Of course the buyer can attempt to negotiate a better deal, but I don't see why it's wrong of the seller to have a higher than usual P&H price per se.

Also, some in the other thread make some rather judgemental comments about sellers who apparently profiteer. Again, I just don't understand why people criticise those sellers. This is a free market place - if they can find buyers at high prices, then good on those sellers. It's a matter of supply and demand. If one feels the seller is not charging a reasonable price, just don't buy it.

Sorry about the rant, but as a seller I used to receive messages from people with this kind of attitude. Yes, sometimes I sell because I need some money, and if someone is willing to buy something at a higher price than elsewhere, I'm not going to apologise for it. My responsibility as a seller is to describe my goods accurately, set out all the costs clearly, communicate politely, and when paid, deliver my goods - that's it. It's not a charity.

This is the end of my rant. Have a good day
06-03-2016, 12:32 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by iht Quote
Sorry about the rant, but as a seller I used to receive messages from people with this kind of attitude. Yes, sometimes I sell because I need some money, and if someone is willing to buy something at a higher price than elsewhere, I'm not going to apologise for it. My responsibility as a seller is to describe my goods accurately, set out all the costs clearly, communicate politely, and when paid, deliver my goods - that's it. It's not a charity.
I am in your camp if that helps. At the end of the day, buyers always take risk in buying second hand gear. Sellers who 'profit' can only do so on reputation - it is within their interests to sell good gear - it is these guys who are taking on the risk of a dodgy second hand piece. So, it would be fair to say that profiteers are providing a service with people unwilling to take the risk essentially paying for that service - otherwise it becomes a lottery doesn't it!!!

In regards the item offered on ebay - that is ridiculously priced and not realistic. Sorry, I would MUCH rather buy a Pentax FA*/A* 85mm 1.4 or Pentax A* 135mm 1.8 and get change!
06-04-2016, 06:52 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

New low price! $1999.

lol
06-04-2016, 07:13 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Would need to halve it again before I got even remotely interested. Totally overpriced. Just because it is rare it doesn't make it 'name your price'.