Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Takumar 83mm 1.9
Posted By: Wild Mark, 06-01-2016, 11:15 PM

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Wowsers

Extremely Rare F 1 9 83mm Asahi Takumar 42mm Screw Mount Lens FOR Pentax Bodies | eBay

"Tell him he's dreaming son" [said with some typical Aussie twang]

('The Castle' an Australian film exhibiting the quintessential essence of the working man)
Views: 7,075
06-19-2016, 05:50 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
". . . . been using Takumar M42 mount cameras and lenses extensively since 1974 . . . . "

Sounds to me like he's an old guy trying to sell a life-long collection in a frustratingly bad, buyers' market. Always imagined he would cash out his lenses for retirement, but they've gone Beanie Baby on him.

Sadly tragic - tragically sad? - really. *

* looks in mirror thinking, "Me in 20 years?"
Interesting thought. What is the future of all this legacy glass. It obviously has a immediate future, but, what about 40 years from now??? Lenses produced NOW will be just as 'collectable' minus their inherent electronic weaknesses.

Will our lens colelctions go the way of stamps? Worthless?

06-19-2016, 06:54 AM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wild Mark Quote
Interesting thought. What is the future of all this legacy glass. It obviously has a immediate future, but, what about 40 years from now??? Lenses produced NOW will be just as 'collectable' minus their inherent electronic weaknesses.

Will our lens colelctions go the way of stamps? Worthless?
I won't be around to pay up, but I'd be willing to bet in 40 years even the concept of legacy lenses won't exist.
06-19-2016, 07:20 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I won't be around to pay up, but I'd be willing to bet in 40 years even the concept of legacy lenses won't exist.
I;ll take your comment to mean that 'current' lenses won't survive the test of time & manual lenses, designed to last for ever, will either be unusable (on new image capture devices) or unobtainium or both.
06-19-2016, 07:27 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Speaking of that kind of move, weren't you the one a few months back who was strenuously advocating ripping off a grieving son whose Pentax collector father just died because he didn't know how much his A50mm 1.2 was worth?

And by all means, keep making literally fraudulent and illegal offers like this for your entertainment. It's your funeral.

I've been one of the biggest critics of the delusional eBay seller on this thread, but I'm still happy to say what you did was illegal and wrong.
I remember that conversation. Hmmmmm what goes around comes around.

06-19-2016, 07:32 AM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I;ll take your comment to mean that 'current' lenses won't survive the test of time
Yes, my main belief
& manual lenses, designed to last for ever, will either be unusable (on new image capture devices)
Yes, my supporting belief
or unobtainium or both.
I believe people will spend as much time searching for usable interchangeable lenses as they spend today searching for usable Whale Oil Finger Lamps.

To put this in perspective, my son is 30 years old and has rarely used a camera other than a phone (he didn't take many PnS photos in High School). He is totally unacquainted with ILC's. In 40 years he will be 70.

Who in his generation and younger will even think about interchangeable lenses, much less want them?
06-19-2016, 07:51 AM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Eh, in my experience, the sub-20 hipster generations are some of the biggest collectors of vintage camera gear (likewise old A/V equipment, video games, etc.) at the moment. Of course, they are also some of the most prodigious wearers of handlebar moustaches in the past 150 years as well. Whether both or either turns out to be a passing fancy remains to be seen...
Oh I'm aware of that. I only question the probability that in 40 years the then sub-20 hipster group will still be buying the 20th C. vintage camera gear their grandfathers collected.

They might be collecting Android phones though.
06-21-2016, 02:28 PM   #37
Banned

To answer all of your questions, YES, this lens is REAL.

See attached page 131 from Gerjan Van Oosteen's book: The Ultimate Asahi Pentax Screw Mount Guide, 1952-1977

Note the highlighted comments from the author.

The mount portion of this lens measures 42.06mm, hence it is in fact, the very rare P-Mount M42 Takumar f/1.9 83mm that never went into production.

---------- Post added 06-21-16 at 02:49 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by iht Quote
The seller does seem a bit abrupt - he begins the listing with, "If you ask me a question that is already answered below, I will not respond to you."

But, this IS a very rare lens, and it IS a very early version of the lens. His descriptions are not deceptive. For the rarity of the lens, it seems like it's in okay condition to me.

The price is definitely on the high side, but is it really THAT outrageous? Can anyone find another M42 83/1.9 on sale anywhere else? If not, the seller is offering something unique. The seller is obviously testing the market, and you never know - he might find a buyer who has been after this lens for years and couldn't find one. And in addition, the seller has 100% feedback and a high score, so maybe one should think twice before mocking someone on a public forum. (I should say at this point that I'm NOT the seller!)

As for postage, it's also on the high side, but then again, I'm of the school that as long as the seller lists everything up front, I'm okay with that - as the buyer you just factor it in.
Thank you for your comment.

I am the seller and you are correct, I have something that is very rare and very unique. I paid a high price for it years ago and since then, the dollar has devalued and the price of these rare Asahi pieces have increased.

As for shipping:

I ship via UPS. The store I ship out of offers a private insurance policy that costs me $3 per $100 of covered value. At $3,500, that is 35 units of $100 @ $3 per unit or $105 of for just the insurance premium. Remember, I am insuring MY risk because if this item were lost or damaged, you the Buyer would want your money back.

About another $50 of the shipping fee comes from $10 handling for me to take this to my shipper, and $40 for them to pack the heck out of it so that it is not damaged or crushed. The rest of the fee comes from UPS to transport and deliver the item.

The reason I will not cheap out and ship USPS to save the Buyer his weekly beer money is because I am the one at risk, not the Buyer. If USPS damages or loses this item, I have to refund the full price plus shipping. In the interim, I have to file a claim with USPS which can take over 90 days to resolve. During this time, I am out both the lens and my money. With UPS, my claim is paid within 10 - 14 days, no questions asked because the shipper is also the packer, so once they accept the item and I pay them, they are responsible for it from that point until it reaches the Buyer.

My reputation on Ebay is simple. I offer very high quality items. I describe them and photograph them in detail and with exceptional accuracy. I hold an MFA in photography and have over 28 years experience as a paid professional in that field. I am a master photographer and a master printer. I am selling my collection, but I am not giving it away.

There is nothing which states that any Buyer is special or entitled to have it for a low price and free shipping.

Anyone who has a problem with what I am charging for this lens has a very easy solution to the problem. Don't buy it. I don't need nor do I want your money or your patronage.

As Lee Iacoca used to say about the K-Car. If you can find a better car, buy it. Same applies to this lens, or for anything else I am selling.

---------- Post added 06-21-16 at 02:58 PM ----------

Im unsure this response was required. If you feel a little vulnerable about what you have done then perhaps talk about that. Unfortunately, it is hard to do this in a internet chat room where body language is absent.

To dispell your anxiety may I suggest you 'retract' the offer made before your bluff is called. Just a safe thought in my books.

Cheers
I am the seller of the 83mm Takumar lens referenced herein. Under the Uniform Commercial Code as well as Michigan Law which governs the offer as that is where I am located, if such an offer was made, and I never received it if it were, and had I accepted such offer, even if made in jest, a binding contract would have been formed and he would have been obligated to pay me the offered price or I could have sued him in Federal Court and I would win. This is Basic Contracts 101. Offer + Acceptance = Contract and Obligation for Performance. He would be obligated to pay me, and would be obligated to tender the item to him once payment was received. About time some people grow up. If you have a problem with an item that is for sale, best to simply accept it and move on. Otherwise, you may wind up digging a hole you find yourself paying a price to climb out of.

Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6  Photo 
06-21-2016, 03:00 PM   #38

This lens (Tak 93/1.9 m42) is definitely real. There are several copies here on the forum (I have one as well). The estimated batch size is small, probably 100-200 copies, so it is rare. The price is not real, though. It is usually sold for much less.
06-21-2016, 03:43 PM   #39
Veteran Member

ROFLOL....The question was...."Will YOU accept $3299 for your lens" ?
Asking a simple "question" would in no way constitute any obligation to buy as its clearly stated in You Ad....."No offers accepted" !
Now we are quoting Michigan Law and Federal court ? What a Joke.......there is only one hole being Dug here......lol.

"IMMATURE".....the Word Boring People use to Describe Fun People !
06-21-2016, 03:49 PM   #40
Pentaxian

*Looks at Pentax Collector's status, jaw drops.*

Banned after ONE post? ONE HOUR after the FIRST POST and already gone?

Is this a record?
06-21-2016, 04:01 PM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
*Looks at Pentax Collector's status, jaw drops.*

Banned after ONE post? ONE HOUR after the FIRST POST and already gone?

Is this a record?
Yes.....I believe it was......However , I assure you.....it wasn't the REAL seller from Ebay !
There is an "Imposter" in our midst trying to get his point across......lol

Maybe I better Stop ? I just might be Next !

Last edited by Dlanor Sekao; 06-21-2016 at 04:07 PM.
06-21-2016, 04:05 PM   #42
Pentaxian

Whether it was him or not, that's still a pretty spectacular progression from first post to.... um... last post.
06-21-2016, 05:04 PM - 1 Like   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Whether it was him or not, that's still a pretty spectacular progression from first post to.... um... last post.
I am rather loosely acquainted with the former member PentaxIsDoomed. PID lasted three hours, the former record holder has now been bested.

Last edited by monochrome; 06-21-2016 at 06:13 PM.
06-21-2016, 05:39 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax Collector Quote
I am the seller of the 83mm Takumar lens referenced herein. Under the Uniform Commercial Code as well as Michigan Law which governs the offer as that is where I am located, if such an offer was made, and I never received it if it were, and had I accepted such offer, even if made in jest, a binding contract would have been formed and he would have been obligated to pay me the offered price or I could have sued him in Federal Court and I would win. This is Basic Contracts 101. Offer + Acceptance = Contract and Obligation for Performance. He would be obligated to pay me, and would be obligated to tender the item to him once payment was received. About time some people grow up. If you have a problem with an item that is for sale, best to simply accept it and move on. Otherwise, you may wind up digging a hole you find yourself paying a price to climb out of.
I hear what you are saying, but, frankly, I think you have misinterpreted what I said. Anyway, pleasing to hear you comment on this forum, but, my comments regarding price stand. It might be a rare item but that does not mean you can ask a silly price for it and expect a buyer (I sense expectation with the long list of terms and conditions and expression of what seems to be tainted experiences). We can all look on and watch with popcorn to see if you get a buyer or not and I certainly won't lose any sleep over it.

And can I also say that you have to be prepared for the criticism that has flowed from your ebay listing. All the best with your listing and as a departing comment may I suggest you offer MUCH better product photos. No one will buy that lens for the price you are asking with the grainy images provided. An image tells a thousand words and your product photos aren't encouraging a would be buyer.

---------- Post added 06-22-16 at 11:38 AM ----------

I am rather loosely acquainted with the former member PentaxIsDoomed. PID lasted three hours, the former record holder has now been bested.
Lol. I had better mind my p's and q's then before I get scrutinized.
06-22-2016, 07:35 AM   #45
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
We seem to have put a bit of a burr under his saddle:

He actually made several posts in this thread that were deleted from the mod queue before becoming visible. One of the ironies here is that our law quoting legal expert friend, in one of those deleted posts, was replying to dcshooter.
Somehow he ended up banned from the forum.

In the words of Sgt Schultz; "I know nothhhhingk, nothhhhingk!"

Last edited by Parallax; 06-22-2016 at 07:42 AM.