Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
  #1
Bargain 31mm Limited at KEH
Posted By: DennisH, 06-09-2016, 09:21 AM

KEH has a Bargain-grade 31 Limited priced at $619 - use code DIGI-NINE for an additional 9% off, for a total of $563.29.

https://www.keh.com/shop/pentax-smc-p-fa-31mm-f1-8-wide-angle-lens.html

Last edited by DennisH; 06-09-2016 at 09:34 AM.
Views: 1,602
06-09-2016, 10:15 AM   #2
Pentaxian
seventysixersfan's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 1,711
nice find!
06-09-2016, 10:32 AM   #3
Pentaxian




Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 2,244
There's also the rare-ish K20/4 available--should be a nice UWA option for the K-1 guys.


https://www.keh.com/shop/pentax-20mm-f-4-smc-k-mount-manual-focus-lens-58-696179.html
06-09-2016, 01:22 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Stratford, CT
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 667
Original Poster
Gone.

06-09-2016, 08:15 PM   #5
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: N.E. Ohio
Posts: 535
@CreationBear... The 20mm is gone. What was KEH asking for that? Thanks.
06-10-2016, 07:12 AM   #6
Pentaxian
Driline's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: IOWA Where the Tall Corn Grows
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,973
Pentax marketplace had a like new FA31 for $525. So that $619 price sucks.
06-10-2016, 11:08 AM   #7
Pentaxian
seventysixersfan's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 1,711
QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
Pentax marketplace had a like new FA31 for $525. So that $619 price sucks.
I've rarely seen the FA31 offered for $525 in PF marketplace. $619 isn't that terrible plus it included 6 months KEH warranty.
06-12-2016, 06:28 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
UncleVanya's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,063
QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
I've rarely seen the FA31 offered for $525 in PF marketplace. $619 isn't that terrible plus it included 6 months KEH warranty.
I agree.

06-14-2016, 11:16 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Idaho
Posts: 236
Speaking of $619 and KEH, that's what I paid for a 60-250 from them (rated EX) . Got it 6 days ago and have spent about 15 minutes in the back yard with it. Too much work and not enough play. Will spend some time with it tomorrow. Had I known there would be a 77 for $525 ( same seller as the 31 on this forum) it would have been a tough choice. I'm curious if the 77 is as good as the A* 85. Having my doubts, but would appreciate the auto focus. The 85 is so good I just have a hard time imagining getting rid of it.
06-15-2016, 05:23 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
UncleVanya's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,063
QuoteOriginally posted by PKMike Quote
I'm curious if the 77 is as good as the A* 85. Having my doubts, but would appreciate the auto focus. The 85 is so good I just have a hard time imagining getting rid of it.
That is exactly what I did. I sold my A* 85 and bought the FA77. My eyes weren't up to the task of manual focus anymore. I don't find the FA77 a let down at all, but the A* certainly offered slightly shallower dof and butter smooth focusing. The A* felt like a Rolls Royce, the FA77 feels like an Astin Martin. For me this was a smart move.
06-15-2016, 08:34 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Idaho
Posts: 236
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
That is exactly what I did. I sold my A* 85 and bought the FA77. My eyes weren't up to the task of manual focus anymore. I don't find the FA77 a let down at all, but the A* certainly offered slightly shallower dof and butter smooth focusing. The A* felt like a Rolls Royce, the FA77 feels like an Astin Martin. For me this was a smart move.

Thanks Uncle Vanya for the comment. My eyes are not what they used to be but still manage to focus manual with correct diopter setting. Auto focus is certainly easier for me. A while back I debated between DA70 and FA77. Bought the DA70 but no comparison to A*85. I kept it for its compact size and auto focus. Now I'm considering that FA77 might be the best of both worlds. I also ponder FA*85. From the images I've seen I like FA* and A* best. Suppose I'll never know for sure unless I own and use them all. Thais is an expensive game! Tell me though if you would, do you feel that the images from the FA77 are as pleasing to you as the A*85 were?
06-15-2016, 01:14 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
UncleVanya's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,063
QuoteOriginally posted by PKMike Quote
Thanks Uncle Vanya for the comment. My eyes are not what they used to be but still manage to focus manual with correct diopter setting. Auto focus is certainly easier for me. A while back I debated between DA70 and FA77. Bought the DA70 but no comparison to A*85. I kept it for its compact size and auto focus. Now I'm considering that FA77 might be the best of both worlds. I also ponder FA*85. From the images I've seen I like FA* and A* best. Suppose I'll never know for sure unless I own and use them all. Thais is an expensive game! Tell me though if you would, do you feel that the images from the FA77 are as pleasing to you as the A*85 were?
I too have a DA 70 - actually it's my Dad's or mine I forget since we share a pool of lenses these days - LOL. But I find it hard to fault. The rendering of the DA 70 is quite lovely but the bokeh at f/2.4 is not as subject isolating as what you can get from the A* 85 at f/1.4, or 2. The distance from the subject is a bit shorter but I like that usually and the focal length on crop is akin to the old Nikor 105. The FA 77 meanwhile is slightly tighter with an equivalent field of view to a roughly 115mm lens. The FA 77 shares nearly the same configuration of elements as the A* 85 and has a similar sharpness from the start. According to articles I have read, the FA* 85 has a totally different arrangement of lenses, and has a softer look than the A* 85 or the FA 77 at close distances and wide open. But I have no experience with the FA*. LeRolls on the forums is using an FA* - a recent acquisition - and has been a long time FA 77 user. You should reach out to him for his thoughts. He likes it even better than the FA 77. For me once you reach the limited, or * series the differences become so minor as to be trivial compared to lighting and subject placement.
06-15-2016, 09:36 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Idaho
Posts: 236
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I too have a DA 70 - actually it's my Dad's or mine I forget since we share a pool of lenses these days - LOL. But I find it hard to fault. The rendering of the DA 70 is quite lovely but the bokeh at f/2.4 is not as subject isolating as what you can get from the A* 85 at f/1.4, or 2. The distance from the subject is a bit shorter but I like that usually and the focal length on crop is akin to the old Nikor 105. The FA 77 meanwhile is slightly tighter with an equivalent field of view to a roughly 115mm lens. The FA 77 shares nearly the same configuration of elements as the A* 85 and has a similar sharpness from the start. According to articles I have read, the FA* 85 has a totally different arrangement of lenses, and has a softer look than the A* 85 or the FA 77 at close distances and wide open. But I have no experience with the FA*. LeRolls on the forums is using an FA* - a recent acquisition - and has been a long time FA 77 user. You should reach out to him for his thoughts. He likes it even better than the FA 77. For me once you reach the limited, or * series the differences become so minor as to be trivial compared to lighting and subject placement.
Yes the DA70 is a lovely lens. Very sharp especially stopped down a little and doesn't seem to suffer CA much. Compact, light and quick to focus with quick shift override. For me though I just prefer the color and contrast I get from the A*85 especially when photographing people (and animals - pets). You are right about lighting and subject placement. Get it right and even a mediocre lens can produce a beautiful image. Thanks for reply.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
bargain 31mm, coupon, keh, pentax deals, savings
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lens Tournament: DA 15mm F4 Limited vs FA 31mm F1.8 Limited Adam Pentax Forums Giveaways 59 10-30-2014 01:07 PM
3 FA 31mm Limiteds at KEH, one BGN for seemingly quite cheap. Nick Siebers Pentax Price Watch 10 04-11-2013 05:07 AM
For Sale - Sold: K-5 + 18-55 + Batt Grip/3 batts, 31mm Limited, 15mm Limited, 70mm Limited Sperdynamite Sold Items 7 02-24-2012 12:07 AM
KEH bargain on 16-45 FHPhotographer Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 3 01-18-2010 11:01 AM
KEH bargain Lens twilli53 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 6 01-10-2007 11:57 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:18 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top