Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
AF 540 FGZ II at B&H
Posted By: Adam, 06-09-2016, 03:43 PM

The Pentax 540 flashgun is on sale at B&H for the month of June. Great price IMO - $391!

Pentax AF540FGZ II Flash 30456 B&H Photo Video

Views: 1,277
06-10-2016, 06:32 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks, seems like I'll be getting one

I was reading the reviews at BH and one of them states the following:

"HSS is only optional with P-TTL and since Pentax doesn't have remote P-TTL solutions (other than the slave option) then HSS can only be achieved on-camera. You can pair this flash with the Yongnuo while the Pentax is on camera and the Yongnuo, suprisingly, will follow the HSS from the Pentax, up to 1/4,000 without wny problems"

Does anybody know if it's true what it says about the Yongnuos?
06-10-2016, 01:49 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Well, it's a fairly poor explanation of 'Pentax HSS' , a right muddle! It fails to convey that wireless HSS is part and parcel of the Pentax system .... But you need two HSS capable dedicated system flashes.

A manual, non system-dedicated flash may be able to be triggered optically by a dedicated HSS on -camera flash. That explanation about the Yongnuo sounds to me like it's referring to a 'hypersync' type of technique (there will be others here who can explain and confirm that much better than I can).

The only manual flash I know of that performs in a true 'HSS ' manner, as the HSS capable system dedicated flashes do, is the Cactus RF60, with its HSS sympathy mode .... This has the advantage of emitting a continuous pulsing strobe for the entire exposure duration, meaning even lighting across the frame right across the range from 1/200th - 1/8000th secs. Note this applies to the RF60 in Slave mode only.

The 'hypersync' technique would involve some light fall off throughout the exposure, so uneven light, the effect of which would vary depending on the power setting and exposure time.
06-11-2016, 08:08 AM   #4

Here's some more info on hypersync. (Copied and edited from a post I wrote last month, in case it seems familiar anyone.)

To make a manual flash work faster than sync speed as a remote slave to a HSS flash, perform this little bit of trickery.
-Set the HSS sync flash to HSS at the lowest output.
-Set the basic flash to Slave mode.
When the HSS flash fires the slave will fire in response. If the HSS flash is set to a low output it shouldn't add much to the exposure.

There are limits, but it works surprisingly well. Check out these two links for more info.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/high-speed-sync-with-yn560-flash

http://www.callumw.com/blog/how-to-do-high-speed-sync-with-studio-strobes/

06-11-2016, 09:31 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Thanks for adding that extra info..... It's certainly an economical solution if you only have 1 Pentax flash .... Although I guess with such a deal you folks in the U.S. have here there's no excuse not to get another one .....

I do admit, both of my Pentax flashes were bought new in similar offers here in the UK.
06-11-2016, 06:03 PM   #6

One excuse is that you can buy 5 Yongnuo YN-560 IV for less than the cost of one AF 540 FGZ II. (Even more if you buy the older 560 II or III models.)

I find if I'm in a situation where things are changing enough to need P-TTL I'm probably not going to be dealing with more than one flash, so my Metz 50 AF-1 is enough. If I'm setting up additional flashes, it's probably a controlled scenario where I can take a few minutes to fiddle with light levels and exposure settings, so manual flashes are more than adequate.

---------- Post added 06-11-16 at 09:09 PM ----------

*of course, even if you buy 5 Yongnuo YN-560, you would still need a HSS capable flash to trigger them at shutter speeds faster than 1/180 (or 1/200 for the new K-1).
06-12-2016, 04:59 AM   #7
Pentaxian

With HSS, especially if in changeable light , P-TTL can save a good amount of adjustment work, as manual HSS flash needs adjustments for shutter speed changes and distance, as well as aperture and ISO ... So that's 4 exposure parameters that need power juggling responses....P-TTL takes care of all of that automatically, so can be quick and practical in certain situations. It's not a budget choice however, especially if you want 2 off-camera slaves ...
06-12-2016, 06:10 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Love my 540 II! Use it on all my shoots. Even in the rain. Totally worth that price IMO.

06-13-2016, 01:11 PM   #9
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The Pentax 540 flashgun is on sale at B&H for the month of June. Great price IMO - $391!

Pentax AF540FGZ II Flash 30456 B&H Photo Video
The price is now $419 still a discounted price.

06-13-2016, 05:06 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by Pictora Quote
The price is now $419 still a discounted price.
Thanks @mcgregni & @TheOneAndOnlyJH for your input... I currently have 3 Yongnuos 560iii, but I think the next logical step is get to know and explore the PTTL and HSS territory; The price always stopped me, been my last thought before seen this post: Buy another 2 or 3 yongnuos or go for a 540fgz ii or two 360fgz ii. I think I'll get a 540ii... maybe