Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
Lexar SDHC and SDXC cards on sale at B&H
Posted By: photolady95, 06-20-2016, 03:40 PM

Lexar 64GB SDXC
Lexar 64GB Professional UHS-I SDXC Memory Card (U3)

Lexar 32GB SDHC
Lexar 32GB Professional UHS-I SDHC Memory Card (U3)

I got an email about these and ordered one of the SDXC cards to use in my K-50. I thought that was a nice price for these cards.

Last edited by photolady95; 06-20-2016 at 03:49 PM.
Views: 2,475
06-20-2016, 03:51 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow, those are some great prices. The write speed should be good enough for the current top Pentax models, too.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-20-2016, 03:59 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
I couldn't believe the price of that 32GB SDHC, the last Sandisk I bought at Adorama cost me a heck of a lot more than that price. And it's slower read speeds too.
06-20-2016, 04:19 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Wow! And for Lexar Professional, no less. Excellent deals... just recently I was shooting with a K-1 and a 32GB card, and it surprised me by saying "Memory Card Full" after half a day of shooting! Those 36MP files fill up cards quickly...

06-20-2016, 04:55 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
The 64GB cards are also available in a two card deal, with cost at $34.99, which saves you a $1.
06-20-2016, 05:19 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Good price and good card! I'd buy if I didn't just buy some 64gb micro SD cards, have 4 cameras if I count my phone and drone that require micro SD so I'm inclined to buy them anyway. Would still be nice backup cards for K3 and K30 hmmm
06-20-2016, 05:40 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
I've never used Lexar cards. I've always bought PNY cards until one I had snapped in half, then I went to Sandisk cards. Thought I've heard good things about Lexar, I'd never seen as good a deal this.

06-22-2016, 01:55 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for the tip, just ordered a pair for my K-1, my poor old 32gb card just wasn't cutting it. It will be interesting to see how a fast modern card effects performance. At least I get to run dual slots now, and also see how that effects battery life too... fun fun fun!
Eric
06-22-2016, 02:02 PM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Erictator Quote
Thanks for the tip, just ordered a pair for my K-1, my poor old 32gb card just wasn't cutting it. It will be interesting to see how a fast modern card effects performance. At least I get to run dual slots now, and also see how that effects battery life too... fun fun fun!
Eric
What cards were you running before?

Note that writing to both slots and the same times slows things down by a factor of 2, so just keep that in mind. The K-1 can unfortunately not write in parallel.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-23-2016, 06:24 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
What cards were you running before?

Note that writing to both slots and the same times slows things down by a factor of 2, so just keep that in mind. The K-1 can unfortunately not write in parallel.

I figured as much, and thought I might use it for emergency backup dupes, or for shooting Raw + for fun. I've been tweaking on the built in JPG settings, trying to get an acceptable result. There are times it would be nice to just use the JPG's when needed fast.

I have a variety of 1gb , 8gb Sandisk cards, from extreme to standard cheapies. The 1GB cards are a joke with the K-1, unless shooting in straight JPG mode. The 8GB sandisk is ok, but a slow old one.

The 32GB cards I have (please, promise not to laugh too hard) are old Centon Class 6 32GB SDHC cards and these are what I've been using in the K-1.

Hey, on the K5 it really didn't matter since I wasn't shooting video or high frame rate spray and pray type photography. I always treat an SD card like a roll of 12 or 24 shot 120mm film. Plan a bit and try to get the shot the first time, and maybe take a backup or two.

Old film habits die hard, and I really hate spending hours doing post, looking at a zillion duplicates in Adobe afterwards, trying to decide which shot is a hair better than the others. So shoot less, and keep more. I dunno, maybe I'm nuts, but it works for me. These Lexar cards will let me play a little more with Pixel Shift and hopefully even with the slower, non-parallel write speeds, be almost as fast as what I am used to with the old Class 6 card in single mode.

That... and the camera buffer is the only speed that really matters for my shooting style anyway, since I'm not shooting frame rates that tax anything. As long as I can chimp reasonably fast when I need to. (BTW: Thanks for the instant 100% zoom setting tip!)

Eric
06-23-2016, 10:42 AM   #11

Question - is it better to get a 2 pack 64GB (Lexar) or just get a 128 GB (SanDisk) card? From what I've read, there shouldn't be any compatibility issues with the latter and the K3. Going on along trip soon and could use all the space.
06-23-2016, 01:55 PM - 1 Like   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Erictator Quote
Old film habits die hard, and I really hate spending hours doing post, looking at a zillion duplicates in Adobe afterwards, trying to decide which shot is a hair better than the others. So shoot less, and keep more. I dunno, maybe I'm nuts, but it works for me. These Lexar cards will let me play a little more with Pixel Shift and hopefully even with the slower, non-parallel write speeds, be almost as fast as what I am used to with the old Class 6 card in single mode.
Considering that write speeds with the new cards will be at least 5 times faster, even with saving to both slots you'll see a speed improvement.

Also, another way to speed things up is to disable JPEG distortion correction. This will prevent the camera from locking up while it's saving files to the cards.

QuoteOriginally posted by abuddhazaki Quote
Question - is it better to get a 2 pack 64GB (Lexar) or just get a 128 GB (SanDisk) card? From what I've read, there shouldn't be any compatibility issues with the latter and the K3. Going on along trip soon and could use all the space.
If you have another card for the second slot, I'd go for the 128Gb card. Otherwise the 2-pack is a good choice.

Adam

06-24-2016, 10:42 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I'll just say I bought these cards from Amazon a few months back:

Best $20 spent this year!
(I lucked out and picked up a 2pack for $14)
07-04-2016, 06:31 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I purchased 2 of the 64gb cards to go in my K3, never jumped on the SanDisk bandwagon. I was saddened when I read on the back of the cards "Made in Korea" I work for a Korean manufacturing company and Quality is not on the top of their list.
07-05-2016, 12:49 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Just for info, these 633X Lexar's (I bought 2 X 32GB, before doing my research) are pretty slow to write (and well below K-1/K-3 max card write speed).

The Lexar site lists them as:
32GB—up to 95MB/s read, 20MB/s write

And B&H itself lists the 633X doing only a more conservative 10 MB/s.

The only 633X Lexar's that are fast[ish] seem to be the 256GB and 512GB versions (at 45 MB/s write.)

The Lexar 1000X or 2000X cards do faster writes, and won't slow down your K-1/K-3 as much as the 633X might.