Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread

B&H just jacked up their prices on Pentax gear.
Posted By: sarge, 07-01-2016, 12:23 AM

It looks like B&H jacked up all their prices on Pentax gear.
I was going to order a 35mm Macro Limited but they just raised the price about $80.00.
Won't be ordering it now!
Views: 5,275
07-01-2016, 05:28 PM   #16
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I guess that's the new Common Core math I've heard about.
haha perhaps but it works out correctly. I'm probably just not explaining the math in my head versus the words from my 'mouth.'

There is a habit of retailers raising prices before a sale, reducing prices on a sale, but only reducing to keep the price above what it was before all the changes. The customer sees a discount percentage stated when in fact it is a percentage increase overall. In my example a 5% increase.

I think you understood this, but just wanted to give me a hard time and point out your awesomeness. 2 birds, 1 stone.

Last edited by mee; 07-01-2016 at 05:38 PM.
07-01-2016, 09:12 PM   #17
Forum Member

I just checked out BH's July 4th special sales from the website. The only two Pentatx related items listed as July 4th special are K-3 ii body and Bolt vs-510P flash. And, I know for a fact that that $850 is not special for K-3 ii. In fact, I'm a new to photography and looking for a good camera. I was going to get a pre-order from Japanese eBay seller until yesterday, but I cancelled the purchase for warranty issues (Brand new K-3ii and HD DA 16-85 for $1150, but no warranty). After the cancellation, I see articles about Mirrorless being future of camera, good things about touch screens, etc. So, I'm starting to lean towards Fuji's XT-1 + 18+55 bundle which comes in $1400. Could someone please persuade me again into DSLR and Pentax K-3 ii in particular? And, some people are keep saying mirrorless are more accurate in AF than DSLRs. Is that right? or AF is still better in DSLRs?
07-01-2016, 09:14 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Japanese Yen is also gradually going up.
07-01-2016, 09:36 PM   #19
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by manishved Quote
The Japanese Yen is also gradually going up.
True. Hope they go up sky high.

07-02-2016, 08:56 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by talkskiwon Quote
I just checked out BH's July 4th special sales from the website. The only two Pentatx related items listed as July 4th special are K-3 ii body and Bolt vs-510P flash. And, I know for a fact that that $850 is not special for K-3 ii. In fact, I'm a new to photography and looking for a good camera. I was going to get a pre-order from Japanese eBay seller until yesterday, but I cancelled the purchase for warranty issues (Brand new K-3ii and HD DA 16-85 for $1150, but no warranty). After the cancellation, I see articles about Mirrorless being future of camera, good things about touch screens, etc. So, I'm starting to lean towards Fuji's XT-1 + 18+55 bundle which comes in $1400. Could someone please persuade me again into DSLR and Pentax K-3 ii in particular? And, some people are keep saying mirrorless are more accurate in AF than DSLRs. Is that right? or AF is still better in DSLRs?
Though I have not had experience with Fuji mirrorless, I have had Olympus mirrorless. I switched back to DSLR'S from Olympus. AF is an issue especially in low light and focus tracking is a joke. From all the research I did the K-3II is the best bang for the buck in photography. Yes the Oly cameras I had did have the touch screens but I honestly didn't not use them much. I personally like optical viewfinders far more than electronic. I have chronic dry eye and the electronic viewfinders caused issues after about an hour of use. I don't get that with optical viewfinders.
I have fat fingers and found the bodies of the E-M5 and E-M5 MKII were hard to operate with the tiny buttons. They were very lightweight though and that is probably the single thing I miss with mirrorless. Oh another reason I left Micro 4/3ds was the depth of field issues with the small sensors. APS-C is still not the best but it is better.
I hope this helps.
By the way, you may want to take a look at the upcoming Pentax K-70. My wife has a K-S2 and there are times when I like the size of it better. The K-70 seems to be a melding of the K-3II and the K-S2. I actually might pick one up myself.
07-02-2016, 11:16 AM   #21
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sarge Quote
Though I have not had experience with Fuji mirrorless, I have had Olympus mirrorless. I switched back to DSLR'S from Olympus. AF is an issue especially in low light and focus tracking is a joke. From all the research I did the K-3II is the best bang for the buck in photography. Yes the Oly cameras I had did have the touch screens but I honestly didn't not use them much. I personally like optical viewfinders far more than electronic. I have chronic dry eye and the electronic viewfinders caused issues after about an hour of use. I don't get that with optical viewfinders.
I have fat fingers and found the bodies of the E-M5 and E-M5 MKII were hard to operate with the tiny buttons. They were very lightweight though and that is probably the single thing I miss with mirrorless. Oh another reason I left Micro 4/3ds was the depth of field issues with the small sensors. APS-C is still not the best but it is better.
I hope this helps.
By the way, you may want to take a look at the upcoming Pentax K-70. My wife has a K-S2 and there are times when I like the size of it better. The K-70 seems to be a melding of the K-3II and the K-S2. I actually might pick one up myself.
Thank you. But I'm honestly torn apart because of videos I see tells me different stories about AF performance in DSLRs and Mirrorlesses. Could someone take a look at
, or
. Are these really worse than K-3ii AF?
07-02-2016, 03:07 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you. But I'm honestly torn apart because of videos I see tells me different stories about AF performance in DSLRs and Mirrorlesses. Could someone take a look at Panasonic GX8 autofocus speed & continuous speed โหดสัส - YouTube , Olympus PEN-F - autofocus speed test - YouTube , or Fujifilm X-T1 Auto Focus (AF) Speed - YouTube . Are these really worse than K-3ii AF?
Each of those videos are of static subjects in good lighting. Any mirrorless camera will do fine with those conditions. I was talking about low light and focus tracking. That is where mirrorless falls down. I just shot a wedding last weekend with my K-3II and I was shooting the bridal party coming towards me . I had no out of focus pictures. I had tried to do the very same thing with my old Olympus E-M5 MKII and would be lucky to get a shot in focus. You can go to the Micro 4/3ds forum and see how many folks are trying to make the system work for birding. The only body that comes close is the E-M1.
One other thing is that I am able to get usable images at ISO 6400 with the K-3II. The best I could do with my micro 4/3ds was ISO 1600.

07-02-2016, 03:41 PM   #23
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sarge Quote
Each of those videos are of static subjects in good lighting. Any mirrorless camera will do fine with those conditions. I was talking about low light and focus tracking. That is where mirrorless falls down. I just shot a wedding last weekend with my K-3II and I was shooting the bridal party coming towards me . I had no out of focus pictures. I had tried to do the very same thing with my old Olympus E-M5 MKII and would be lucky to get a shot in focus. You can go to the Micro 4/3ds forum and see how many folks are trying to make the system work for birding. The only body that comes close is the E-M1.
One other thing is that I am able to get usable images at ISO 6400 with the K-3II. The best I could do with my micro 4/3ds was ISO 1600.
Thank you sir. It helped me a lot. Still can't decide, but I get a feeling that I might I want to wait and see what next models of x-t1 and k-3 ii will bring to us.
07-02-2016, 04:30 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you sir. It helped me a lot. Still can't decide, but I get a feeling that I might I want to wait and see what next models of x-t1 and k-3 ii will bring to us.
You are quite welcome.
You may want to sit down and think about what your style of photography is. What subjects are important to you. If you plan on a lot of action then I would steer clear of mirrorless. If your subjects are still or your main focus is say street photography then mirrorless may work.
Anyway I wish you the best.
07-02-2016, 04:59 PM   #25
Pentaxian

X-T2 is allegedly coming in a few days (July 7th). Specs have already leaked, but for me the big issue is the price. Given that the X-T1 body is still selling for $1k, I doubt the X-T2 will be price-competitive with the K-3 II or its successor...

Last edited by Doundounba; 07-02-2016 at 08:30 PM. Reason: typo
07-02-2016, 05:47 PM   #26
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
X-T2 is allegedly coming in a few days (July 7th). Specs have already leaked, but for me the big issue if the price. Given that the X-T1 body is still selling for $1k, I doubt the X-T2 will be price-competitive with the K-3 II or its successor...
Wow. I had no idea it was coming. Thanks.
07-02-2016, 10:34 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
X-T2 is allegedly coming in a few days (July 7th). Specs have already leaked, but for me the big issue is the price. Given that the X-T1 body is still selling for $1k, I doubt the X-T2 will be price-competitive with the K-3 II or its successor...

Price is the issue. On the other hand if the XT1 price drops, that would be very motivating! I would buy one around $700. Or if the XPro 2 drops to $1200...(more likely $1500, still too much) The Xpro1 went to $500 when the Xpro2 came along, but the XT1 nor the XPro2 obviously aren't THAT old. (Ironically, the XPro1 with the new firmware is now a great classic camera and totally usable and enjoyable)

I expect the XT2 to come out at around $1400 USD body only. On sale by the Holidays for $1100 or $1200.
07-04-2016, 12:09 AM   #28
Veteran Member

If you like landscape I'd also stay clear of x-trans sensor. Google and you'll find many posts on watercolour effect.

Also, if you use eyeglasses most evf's let a lot of side light in and make viewing difficult.

Also, while fujifilm seem to have improved AF, it is generally regarded as the worst in the mirror less world, ie, Olympus, Sony and Panasonic are all better.
07-04-2016, 05:33 AM   #29
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Yep, I checked all sales today as well. Some great deals on Canon-Nikon lenses. No ANY deals on Pentax lenses. None.
07-04-2016, 03:29 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by howieb101 Quote
If you like landscape I'd also stay clear of x-trans sensor. Google and you'll find many posts on watercolour effect.

Also, if you use eyeglasses most evf's let a lot of side light in and make viewing difficult.

Also, while fujifilm seem to have improved AF, it is generally regarded as the worst in the mirror less world, ie, Olympus, Sony and Panasonic are all better.

That's ridiculous.

Kevin Mullins, Zack Arias, Damien Lovegrove, Chris Upton, Pete Bridgewood, Colin Nichols, Bradley Hansen... just to name a few. Yea stay clear of the X Trans sensor, it might be too professional for you.