Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG Full Frame Refurbished
Posted By: dave2k, 07-23-2016, 07:28 AM

This might solve my ultra-wide lens dilemma for my K-1. The reviews are pretty good and the price seemed quite attractive to me at $399 shipped so I ordered one. Warranty is included. Not sure how many they have.

12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG Refurbished | Sigma Corporation of America
Views: 1,662
07-24-2016, 08:19 AM   #2
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dave2k Quote
This might solve my ultra-wide lens dilemma for my K-1. The reviews are pretty good and the price seemed quite attractive to me at $399 shipped so I ordered one. Warranty is included. Not sure how many they have.
Thanks for the heads up. I pulled the trigger on one as well to pair with my 24-70mm HSM. While these older Sigma zooms aren't going to out perform the new DFAs, I think they provide good value for money.
07-30-2016, 09:31 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Did either of you receive your 12-24 yet? Wondering what your impressions are - I've read several reviews here & elsewhere but most are a few years old. A bit of more recent feedback might be just what it takes to push me over the edge...
07-30-2016, 10:50 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I've only had time to do a little testing and the conditions were not the best. So I have not yet concluded if this will be a keeper or if it will have to go back. I hope to do more testing this weekend. It looks like Sigma has sold out of the inventory they had.

07-31-2016, 11:02 PM   #5
Site Supporter

I received mine but haven't tested it yet. I'm hoping to do so soon.
08-03-2016, 10:13 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I got the refurbished deal about a year ago. These are new, old stock (according to the rep), so 90-day warranty only because this model is out of production. The first copy was decentered, so lots of CA and really soft on the left side. No problem with the return, and got a good copy the second time around. So, if you get a good copy - it is a very nice lens (as the in-depth review here at PF indicates). Very low distortion, decently sharp. Several detailed reviews have been negative, as well, and that indicates that bad copy rate is fairly high on this very complex lens design. I kind of fear that as Sigma ran down on the last copies, the number of poor lenses probably increased due to returns, etc. Or, possibly, they actually did some refurbishing.

For the most part I've only been testing the lens, and plan to sell it as mint. The Samyang 14mm and 8mm lenses are a bit more compact, optically excellent and a bit faster (for purposes of focusing), and they serve as my main UWA lenses. I don't plan to go to FF digital anytime soon. A good copy of the 12-24 is far better that the old Sigma 15-30 which I had for a relatively short time years ago - even though the latter has something of a cult status here.
08-18-2016, 06:50 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Bought one thanks to this post. The lens came looking brand-new in all regards, down to the packaging. Absolutely no sign of use. I had a chance to take it on a trip shortly after getting it and was thoroughly impressed. Sharpness is excellent especially stopped down, and flare is well controlled. Added bonus: you can use a filter on the front adapter ring that doesn't cause vignetting at the long end.
08-18-2016, 11:49 PM   #8
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I can't believe I missed this!!! One of these days I'll hopefully have one in my hands..

08-20-2016, 10:05 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I used this on FF in the Sony alpha system. It's decently sharp, but its strength is a lack of barrel distortion. And the little that exists is simple, circular distortion that's easy to correct in post. It's far better than the Sigma 10-20 and 8-16 in this respect, both with strong distortion that varies across the image width. But no UWA zoom is perfect, and this 12-24 is last in the pack for light falloff/corner shading. That's simple to correct with some positive vignette correction in LR, as long as you're not starting at a high ISO before you start lifting the shadows.. which you'll probably be doing, because it's such a slow lens. But properly exposed, this is my favorite of the UWA zooms, and a reason why I want to get back to FF soon.