Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Vivitar 135/2.8 Close Focusing in m42, in UK, 75.00 GBP ($98.23 USD)
Posted By: fwcetus, 09-01-2016, 06:13 PM

Could be a good deal (for a European) for a conveniently metering m42 mount copy of this lens -

Vivitar Auto Close Focusing (1:2) 135mm f/2.8 - Pentax mount screw

I have no connection to the seller (but do own a couple of K-mount copies of this excellent tele macro lens design).

Last edited by fwcetus; 09-02-2016 at 04:36 AM.
Views: 602
09-01-2016, 07:42 PM   #2
a5m
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Good find. Highly rated in the reviews.

Friendly FYI, your title reads '123/2.8' when it should be '135/2.8. For a second I thought that was an interesting focal length, along the lines of Pentax's FA Limiteds .
09-02-2016, 04:43 AM   #3
A Proud PENTAXER !!!

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by a5m Quote
Good find. Highly rated in the reviews.

Friendly FYI, your title reads '123/2.8' when it should be '135/2.8. For a second I thought that was an interesting focal length, along the lines of Pentax's FA Limiteds .

:

Oops -- How brain dead was I ??? [Please don't answer that.]

Thanks for that correction -- I never noticed (obviously), but it's fixed now.

Yes, it's a very good lens -- Vivitar Auto Close Focusing (1:2) 135mm f/2.8 Lens Reviews - Vivitar Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

Thanks again for the chance to let me look less dumb to the world.
09-02-2016, 04:56 AM   #4
a5m
Site Supporter

no big deal mate. We all sometimes need a jolt of excitement by thinking there's a new lens out there that we don't know about.

I'm guessing you were watching the Rio Olympics and were counting down the start of races when you posted this .

09-02-2016, 03:51 PM - 1 Like   #5
A Proud PENTAXER !!!

Original Poster
no big deal mate. We all sometimes need a jolt of excitement by thinking there's a new lens out there that we don't know about.

Understood. Sometimes the mere mention of a new unknown lens out there can make the hair stand up on the back of my neck - LOL.

I'm guessing you were watching the Rio Olympics and were counting down the start of races when you posted this .

Haha. Well, I've tried thinking of what made me type 123 instead of 135, and my best guess is that 1-3-5 form the first three numbers in an odd number sequence (i.e., 1-3-5-7-9, etc.), while 1-2-3 is, of course, the first three numbers in a simple integer sequence (i.e., 1-2-3-4-5, etc.), and that somehow I turned my effort of typing the first three numerals in the odd sequence into just typing the first three of the simple integer sequence. But who knows...

"The mind is a terrible thing to waste..."

Last edited by fwcetus; 09-03-2016 at 09:33 AM.
09-02-2016, 05:41 PM   #6
a5m
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fwcetus Quote
Haha. Well, I've tried thinking of what made me type 123 instead of 135, and my best guess is that 1-3-5 form the first three numbers in an odd number sequence (i.e., 1-3-5-7-9, etc.), while 1-2-3 is, of course, the first three numbers in a simple integer sequence (i.e., 1-2-3-4-5, etc.), and that somehow I turned my effort of typing the first three numerals in the odd sequence into just typing the first three of the simple integer sequence. But who knows...

"The mind is a terrible thing to waste..."
Okay it's not a really a mistake anymore given that awesome explanation. In fact I feel like the lens needs to apologize to you for not being 123 . Much, much better explanation than mine. Thoroughly enjoyed reading how a brilliant mind works .
09-13-2016, 10:40 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Vivitar Auto Close Focusing (1:2) 135mm f/2.8 - Pentax mount screw

I have no connection to the seller (but do own a couple of K-mount copies of this excellent tele macro lens design)

Fred,

Thank you for posting the link. I bought this lens and so far I'm liking the results.
After I unwrapped the lens yesterday I went out and took a few rosebush shots.
The first two are at f/2.8 and the third is f/4:

Okay, all... now it's time for a little exam! What do you see when you look at the top shadow in the third picture?
(My answer is at the bottom of this post.)

I love getting up close to flowers and bugs so this lens is ideal for me. The only thing I'm not liking is the aperture ring. It's stiff and notchy.

Fred, how are the aperture rings on your copies?

Tim

[Re the shadow: My first thought was it looks like a punk rocker who has a studded tongue!]

Last edited by .a.t.; 09-14-2016 at 08:08 AM. Reason: clarity
09-14-2016, 04:36 AM   #8
A Proud PENTAXER !!!

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by .a.t. Quote
Thank you for posting the link. I bought this lens and so far I'm liking the results.
After I unwrapped the lens yesterday I went out and took a few rosebush shots.
The first two are at f/2.8 and the third is f/4:

Okay... now it's time for a little exam! What do you see when you look at the top shadow in the third picture?
(My answer is at the bottom of this post.)

I love getting up close to flowers and bugs so this lens is ideal for me. The only thing I'm not liking is the aperture ring. It's stiff and notchy.

Fred, how are the aperture rings on your copies?

[Re the shadow: My first thought was it looks like a punk rocker who has a studded tongue!]

Hi, Tim.

Well, congratulations on your new lens.

The rosebud shots are lovely, as to be expected -- good definition in the subject flower and creamy bokeh in the background in each case (for the first two).

I did see a profile of a head in the third pic, but merely saw a long beard (no stud).

As for the aperture ring, I don't remember anything unusual about it/them, but I'll take a look (feel) and get back to you...

EDIT:

I just took a look at the two 135/2.8 CF lenses and a couple of Vivitar "lens relatives" (so to speak). I could say that the aperture ring is a wee bit "notchy" in its movements (I guess) on both 135/2.8 CF lenses. In contrast, the aperture ring movement on the 90/2.8 macro lens (which seems to be a mechanically similar lens design) is slightly more "buttery", while the aperture ring movement on the 135/2.8 (non-CF) lens is slightly more "tinny". So, I suppose I ~might~ be in agreement with you on the "notchy" comment (?).

However, I would ~not~ say that either 135/2.8 diaphragm is the least bit "stiff" -- they are both easy to turn, and, to be honest, I would not have considered either of them to be the least bit unusual if you hadn't brought up the issue and the question.

Do you have a lens with a "balky" aperture ring, and/or with a diaphragm that is getting "sticky" or "oily", so that it is getting a bit difficult to open and close the diaphragm. (Did you close the lens down to f/16 or f/22,say, and check whether the diaphragm activation lever is "snappy" or not?) After all, these lenses are approaching half century old -- are you suspecting a CLA is needed?

So, perhaps I can sort of (?) confirm (only) part of your impressions, ~IF~ I am interpreting what you said correctly.

Last edited by fwcetus; 09-14-2016 at 06:35 AM. Reason: added info
09-14-2016, 08:48 AM   #9
Pentaxian

. . . . .
So, perhaps I can sort of (?) confirm (only) part of your impressions, ~IF~ I am interpreting what you said correctly.

Fred,

Yes, you understood perfectly. Thank you for the info.
The diaphragm on my close focus 135 is clean and functions normally, it's just that the movement of the aperture ring isn't as smooth as I expected. I also have a Komine made (serial #28.......) 'normal' Vivitar 135mm f2.8 and its aperture ring is smooth and nicely damped.
I suppose my close focus lens has had a harder life and, yes, would benefit from a CLA.

As for image quality, I agree with you: I'm pleased with both the sharpness of subjects and the smoothness of backgrounds.
So far, so good.

Thanks again!