Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
5 Likes  #1
*Special* US Pentax Price Roundup - Week of October 17th, 2016
Posted By: Adam, 10-18-2016, 03:17 PM

Since the big NYC stores are closed until the 26th, we aren't observing many changes in Pentax prices this week. The K-3 II free grip deal continues at B&H and Adorama.

In light of this, I've spent some time to develop a real-time, filterable table that tries to more accurately reflect price trends and "real" discounts. While our old system relied on the launch MSRP to calculate a % discount, the new table goes by the average price from the past 180 days.

Note that this feature is currently in beta stage, only factors in US pricing, and will only be available to members. I expect it to go live at some point in November.

US Pentax Camera & Lens Deals

Enjoy! Feedback is welcome.
Views: 1,426
10-18-2016, 03:23 PM   #2
mee
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Adam, this is fantastic!! I see even 3rd party is supported in the search and data. nice touch!
10-18-2016, 03:44 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Awesome- however, we cant sort by price, etc within the various sections. Only the first one sorts.
10-18-2016, 05:27 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Very nice! And the filtering is super-fast! Thanks

10-18-2016, 06:00 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by manishved Quote
Awesome- however, we cant sort by price, etc within the various sections. Only the first one sorts.
I've fixed the sorting for the current price column, so it should work as intended. The other price columns look like they already were working

I also added the name of the store below the lowest price.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-18-2016, 06:13 PM   #6
mee
Pentaxian

Would it be useful to have a small toast type pane popup when scrolling over a price to show the last time and store where that price was found?
10-18-2016, 06:19 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Would it be useful to have a small toast type pane popup when scrolling over a price to show the last time and store where that price was found?
I can have it show up on hover, but if you click on the "price history" link, you can get that information already. The price in bold is today's price, barring any changes that may have happened throughout the day.

Adam

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-18-2016, 06:23 PM   #8
mee
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I can have it show up on hover, but if you click on the "price history" link, you can get that information already. The price in bold is today's price, barring any changes that may have happened throughout the day.

Yes, I thought that too. Yet that requires digging. I think that is great for historical data-mining to have the charts. But just to show when the last time it was that price and which store still might be quicker.. what do the others think? Useful or not?

10-18-2016, 08:21 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

FA35/2 = $1,000 at Amazon (Ace Photo)? Is that an erroneous entry? (last item in the table).
10-18-2016, 09:00 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Great work, Adam!

Monochrome's comment suggests a question... Is the Ricoh web store included in the pricing? They carry the FA35, for example.
10-18-2016, 09:38 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Love this! Great job Adam!
One question,
what about the Thetas?
10-19-2016, 12:49 AM   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
Love this! Great job Adam!
One question,
what about the Thetas?
Looks like I need to add the Theta to the system!

And no, the web store isn't currently included. Amazon's price for the FA 35mm is correct, albeit crazy.

Adam

10-19-2016, 07:14 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Nice job Adam!!!
10-19-2016, 10:51 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Amazon's price for the FA 35mm is correct, albeit crazy.
Zillow says I can list my house for a gonzo price too.

Show me the money
10-20-2016, 05:00 AM   #15
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
The system is now checking Pentax web store pricing, though it's not going to be particularly useful until we build up a longer history. We're capturing the $349 price on the FA 35mm, though.

Looks like the Rokinon 135mm deal has popped up in the table, too!

Adam