Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
SMC F*300mm for Auction: No Affiliation
Posted By: UserAccessDenied, 10-27-2016, 06:42 AM

Public Surplus: Auction #1714341

I came across this listing ^^^

At the time of this post the reserve had been met and was only at $352.00 !!!

I already have a DA*300 that I use 90% of the time... It would be great to see a PentaxForums member snag this deal!

No affliation with listing - Just spreading the word!
Views: 1,312
10-27-2016, 06:44 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

"buyer must pick up item", doh!
10-27-2016, 06:53 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffshaddix Quote
"buyer must pick up item", doh!
I'm sure some willing D.C. member would gladly pick up the item and "test it out" for you for a few days before shipping it out!

I'm only about 3 hours from there but unfortunately will be out of town when the auction ends...
10-27-2016, 06:57 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

14 days to go. Don't get too excited yet. Also "this auction might extend" language is vague.

10-27-2016, 08:04 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
14 days to go. Don't get too excited yet. Also "this auction might extend" language is vague.
Yes of course 14 days anything could happen!

Most of these auctions are "extended" though - this just means any bid within the last 5 minutes has a chance to be outbid within 5 minutes. So as long as the last bid doesn't have a counter, you win!
The problem with this is the price will likely jump significantly in the last 30 minutes or so. Similar to how eBay works...
Countless times I've lost a bid with 4 seconds remaining, and only by a few dollars!

Still - I hope a fellow member lucks out on a deal here!
10-27-2016, 12:18 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I like that extension system - it would discourage e-bay sniping, but it might horribly inflate the prices of some things if people with more money than sense went to war over them. Still, if that happens, that's one person taken out of the equation with the object in question attained and their bank balance significantly depleted, reducing the chance they will do it again in the near future. Popcorn futures could go up if you had the object already and/or were content just to watch the crazy evolve without placing a bid...
10-27-2016, 12:34 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
I like that extension system - it would discourage e-bay sniping, but it might horribly inflate the prices of some things if people with more money than sense went to war over them. Still, if that happens, that's one person taken out of the equation with the object in question attained and their bank balance significantly depleted, reducing the chance they will do it again in the near future. Popcorn futures could go up if you had the object already and/or were content just to watch the crazy evolve without placing a bid...
Oh I will certainly be watching the auction on the last hour!

lol, I've bid on electronics before. Particularly vintage Klipsch speakers than can go into the thousands of $$ on the used market.

It's fun to watch the chaos unfold.

I've even heard stories of a husband and wife secretly bidding against each other in online auctions. How embarrassing!?
"Honey, this prick kept upping me $20 every 4 minutes?! But I got it in the end... even if it did cost me an extra $400!" ..."DOH!"
10-27-2016, 02:06 PM - 2 Likes   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote
Oh I will certainly be watching the auction on the last hour!

lol, I've bid on electronics before. Particularly vintage Klipsch speakers than can go into the thousands of $$ on the used market.

It's fun to watch the chaos unfold.

I've even heard stories of a husband and wife secretly bidding against each other in online auctions. How embarrassing!?
"Honey, this prick kept upping me $20 every 4 minutes?! But I got it in the end... even if it did cost me an extra $400!" ..."DOH!"
Shades of the plot twist in the Pina Colada song, LOL.

11-11-2016, 10:29 AM   #9

Somebody got a really good deal!
11-17-2016, 09:21 AM   #10

I was that somebody. "Supermoon" Monday ended up being cloudy/rainy, so I picked it up Tuesday. Apparently the department handling the auction was not the one that originally used the lens, so I wasn't able to get the story of why the city owned the lenses up for auction. The F* 300mm turned out to be in pretty good condition and I was able to put it to use immediately. Finally a member of the "star" club.

11-17-2016, 11:04 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sprint113 Quote
I was that somebody. "Supermoon" Monday ended up being cloudy/rainy, so I picked it up Tuesday. Apparently the department handling the auction was not the one that originally used the lens, so I wasn't able to get the story of why the city owned the lenses up for auction. The F* 300mm turned out to be in pretty good condition and I was able to put it to use immediately. Finally a member of the "star" club.

congrats on the deal!