Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread

Where are the Black Friday & Cyber Monday 2016 deals for Pentax lenses & cameras?
Posted By: CeciProAm, 11-22-2016, 11:41 AM

Have I missed them?

Do they wait this long to post them?

I am hopeful about the lens pricing!!!
Views: 6,148
11-24-2016, 12:32 AM   #16
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
It looks like it's nothing impressive, again. Though I don't think it's fair to single out the camera market for that. I've heard complaints in just about every non-commodity market that BF "deals" have been lackluster for past few years. Personally, I wasn't looking buying anything before then, so it's just felt like it has always been a junk holiday.
Not friday yet. I don't think they really start the sales until then.. esp over at B&H and Adorama. If they do anything, I'd expect sometime mid to late friday.. into the weekend.

I'm seeing excellent BF sales on TVs and software this year.. they started early on those.. really early. check slickdeals website if you're not already.

11-24-2016, 12:35 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Not friday yet. I don't think they really start the sales until then.. esp over at B&H and Adorama. If they do anything, I'd expect sometime mid to late friday.. into the weekend.

I'm seeing excellent BF sales on TVs and software this year.. they started early on those.. really early. check slickdeals website if you're not already.
Will do, thanks!
11-24-2016, 03:10 AM - 1 Like   #18
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The first wave of specials have gone up at the NYC stores and it looks like there haven't been any Pentax price movements. Lots of deals did go up yesterday, however, and they are now listed in the Deal Finder:

Pentax Camera & Lens Deal Finder

The K-1 kit deals are probably the best we've seen so far:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/94-pentax-price-watch/334275-pentax-k-1-k...100-200-a.html

There are also some nice new discounts on lenses, including DA lenses and third-party lenses.

Note that anything in the deal finder with a % off is usually a pretty good deal, because it looks at discounts below the average price in recent months, rather than the MSRP.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-24-2016, 04:47 AM   #19

Pentax K-1 body on AMAZON now $100 off

Amazon.com : Pentax K-1 Full Frame DSLR Camera (Body Only) : Camera & Photo

11-24-2016, 06:03 PM   #20

As someone who snapped up the K50d body on Amazon last summer went it dropped below $300 I'm eagerly hoping for just as large a price drop on the Pentax K-3II but know I could be waiting well beyond BF.
11-24-2016, 06:57 PM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The first wave of specials have gone up at the NYC stores and it looks like there haven't been any Pentax price movements. Lots of deals did go up yesterday, however, and they are now listed in the Deal Finder:

Pentax Camera & Lens Deal Finder

The K-1 kit deals are probably the best we've seen so far:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/94-pentax-price-watch/334275-pentax-k-1-k...100-200-a.html

There are also some nice new discounts on lenses, including DA lenses and third-party lenses.

Note that anything in the deal finder with a % off is usually a pretty good deal, because it looks at discounts below the average price in recent months, rather than the MSRP.
What are your thoughts on the DA 200mm for about $200 off and the DA 300mm Pentax for $100 off? Do you think B&H will/could go lower on either or that Adorama will go lower on either?
11-24-2016, 07:17 PM   #22

Both B&H and Adoroma have their deals posted for black Friday. Nothing will change from those sites tomorrow. Maybe wait till cyber Monday but I'm not holding my breathe. Pentax sales have been a let down IMO

11-27-2016, 04:27 PM - 1 Like   #23

Looks like no Pentax yet for me, I'm super disappointed with the Pentax deals so far.
11-27-2016, 06:21 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I suspect (without any real information) that Ricoh runs on a leaner inventory that HoyaTax did, thus a 30% discount to generate incremental revenue is not a good marketing decision.
11-27-2016, 06:28 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mario150 Quote
Looks like no Pentax yet for me, I'm super disappointed with the Pentax deals so far.
Likewise... I've been saving for a K-70 if it goes on sale.
11-27-2016, 06:54 PM   #26
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I suspect (without any real information) that Ricoh runs on a leaner inventory that HoyaTax did, thus a 30% discount to generate incremental revenue is not a good marketing decision.
Well I'm not sure they always have.. they had big sales in 2012 and 2013 and were Ricoh owned at the time. But, regardless, today they do seem to be much more hesitant on lowering price to increase sales. Sure we are all just guessing, but my guess is probably a mixture of leaner inventory and simply not wanting to look like the 'cheap' option in the DSLR market. As in, low cost must mean low quality that some seem to correlate.

I think the era of big discounts really might be over.

That said, it does mean it is OK to buy whenever one really sees the 'need' versus waiting for a weekend out of the year.. So there is somewhat of an advantage too (looking for the rainbows in the rain hehe ).
11-27-2016, 07:55 PM - 1 Like   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

@mee IDK - I'd bet in our inventory scenario in 2012 and 2013 they still held significant Hoya-era stock. I've always thought the main reason 645d was viable was a hypothetical large inventory of FA645 lenses. I've thought Hoya made the USA a low cost Internet Distributor to rapidly liquidate large inventories of DA lenses at distress prices. I read somewhere on the Forum (in one of the Tammy rebrand discussions, I think) that even today Pentax owns a massive stock of glass blanks. My guess is Ricoh bought the inventory and everything else had zero ongoing business value.

All of which is pure speculation, but intriguing.
11-27-2016, 08:24 PM - 2 Likes   #28
Pentaxian

If they own such a large stock of glass blanks, it looks like they'd be willing to release more new lenses and sell those lenses at reasonable prices. Pentax lenses were very well priced earlier this year - the FA 31 in particular was well below $800. DFA 100mm was well below $400. I was a fool for not buying then, but Ricoh is a fool for expecting us to be happy with these black friday deals.
11-28-2016, 05:50 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by brofkand Quote
If they own such a large stock of glass blanks, it looks like they'd be willing to release more new lenses and sell those lenses at reasonable prices. Pentax lenses were very well priced earlier this year - the FA 31 in particular was well below $800. DFA 100mm was well below $400. I was a fool for not buying then, but Ricoh is a fool for expecting us to be happy with these black friday deals.
Those deals were a part of an effort to clear inventory and keep people happy until Ricoh could get the K-1 to market. Demand for the K-1 has been strong and Sony's manufacturing issues have kept supply limited. I doubt we see a price decrease on glass until the replacements are released. 2017 is the year Ricoh is promising new prime lenses. I would expect that they update the Limited line with new AF and coatings if not a complete redesign.

With current supply chain management practices, I would be surprised to see Ricoh sitting on a large inventory of glass blanks..... especially 5 years after they have purchased Pentax.
11-28-2016, 06:11 AM   #30
Veteran Member

I think it was more the weakness of the Yen, all Camera manufacturers had big discounts to try to prop up sales.