Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Tamron 17-50mm Blowout: 40% Off = $299!
Posted By: Adam, 01-03-2017, 10:32 AM

The Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 has dropped dramatically in price as of 2017- get it for $200 off the regular price we've seen for the past year!

Views: 6,865
01-05-2017, 09:24 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Got to say this is tempting! But can't justify it with a DA 20-40 already in the bag.

For anyone on the fence though, I'd say jump all over it. It's a proven performer.

01-06-2017, 02:46 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by HarisF1 Quote
Anyone used the DA*16-50 along with these lenses? I know that in-depth reviews usually give great marks to the Sigma but I like to hear other user's views.
I don't have the Sigma. But this tamron is a good lens although I don't like tamron's color rendering or contrast. Despite all the negatives the DA* got in the reviews I still prefer it over this tamron.

But anyone who is wanting to get a faster than kit lens (18-55 da) this deal is a no brainer.
01-06-2017, 08:23 AM   #18
Veteran Member

I have this lens and really like it. I aquired one of these, a Pentax 16-45, and the Sigma 17-70 all around the same time to handle my wide angle needs, and the Tamron 17-50 is my favorite. Love the constant 2.8 and the sharpness.
01-08-2017, 11:24 PM   #19
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Looks like it's selling pretty well at this price- back-ordered in the Pentax mount at B&H!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-16-2017, 03:47 AM   #20
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Looks like both B&H and Adorama are now offering a 4% reward on top of the $299 price. Deal of the year, IMO!

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-16-2017, 06:41 AM   #21

I have been on the fence about this one, seems to be an incredible deal but I've read many reviews about focusing issue with this Tamron.
Is exchanging pretty easy and effortless with B&H?

Thanks!
01-16-2017, 10:09 AM   #22

Photos: Gallery
I have this lens Tamron 17-50 2.8 and is a great lens for me. Paid over $500.00 this is a great lens at $299.00 in my opinion.

01-16-2017, 10:18 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I wonder if Tamron makes any money at these prices. It's going to be a strange situation when the Sigma and Tamron 17-50's are no longer available new and the only game in this section of town is the Pentax 16-50.
01-16-2017, 02:10 PM   #24
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by czhao1009 Quote
I have been on the fence about this one, seems to be an incredible deal but I've read many reviews about focusing issue with this Tamron.
Is exchanging pretty easy and effortless with B&H?

Thanks!
Yes it is. I believe they even cover return shipping if the item is at fault.

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
I wonder if Tamron makes any money at these prices. It's going to be a strange situation when the Sigma and Tamron 17-50's are no longer available new and the only game in this section of town is the Pentax 16-50.
I think at this point it's clear that this lens is out of production, so retailers are probably trying to clear the shelves. Maybe I'm wrong, though!

Adam

01-17-2017, 04:00 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Yes it is. I believe they even cover return shipping if the item is at fault.

I think at this point it's clear that this lens is out of production, so retailers are probably trying to clear the shelves. Maybe I'm wrong, though!
Why do yo think both this and the Sigma are gone?
01-17-2017, 04:25 AM   #26
k22
Site Supporter

I think the sale is over.
01-17-2017, 11:17 AM   #27
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by k22 Quote
I think the sale is over.
Still showing the low price at both stores.

QuoteOriginally posted by bladerunner6 Quote
Why do yo think both this and the Sigma are gone?
The Sigma is due for replacement with a Global Vision version, but that's obviously just speculation. As for the Tamron, when we see a rebate on a lens that "almost too good to be true", it's a good indication that MAP has been dropped, which typically happens on discontinued items unless a special sale is going on.

Adam

01-17-2017, 11:24 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think Tamron would rather just sell the updated VC version of their 17-50, which never made it to k-mount. Having both lenses for sale at the same time seems a little odd. The earlier version, from what I can tell, offers slightly better image quality and is definitely smaller and lighter (which is why I picked the older non-VC version for a gift for a Canon owning family member a couple years ago, and not the newer VC variant that was also available then). I kind of assume that, on the average, they make more money on the VC version but I have nothing to back this up.

Looking quickly, it seems like the non-VC version for Nikon and Canon mounts are also on sale for $299 right now. I wasn't expecting that. VC versions look to be about $650 currently through what I would consider reputable vendors.
01-17-2017, 03:52 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
In one of the reviews on B&H, someone who shoots studio returned his copy because it was more like a 3.3 instead of a 2.8 compared with other 2.8 lenses. It got up to a stop off as he stopped down the lens. Anyone else compared? Was his experience a one time fluke?
01-17-2017, 04:34 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rgknief60 Quote
In one of the reviews on B&H, someone who shoots studio returned his copy because it was more like a 3.3 instead of a 2.8 compared with other 2.8 lenses. It got up to a stop off as he stopped down the lens. Anyone else compared? Was his experience a one time fluke?
T stops vs. F stops?

Your Lens? Aperture Might Be Lying to You, Or: The Difference Between F Stops and T Stops

The aperture is a mechanical physical property - simple ratio of focal length and aperture. T Stops are a measure of how much light gets through the lens including any lost to reflections etc. The DXO measurement of the 17-50 Tamron is 3 T stops so 3.3 seems odd but there are multiple versions and I'm not sure which exact version was used by the reviewer. The Pentax DA 16-50 shows a T stop of 3.1 so it loses even more light in transmission. The DA 40 XS has a T stop of 2.8 which means it loses very little or nothing measurable in transmission compared to the aperture.

I'm not sure how T Stops behave when stopping down but I would expect a more linear relationship that doesn't change - so if off by a stop at wide open, I'd expect off by a stop when closed down.