Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Was $99.98 now just $39.99 for your exclusive handcrafted photologo!
Posted By: SteveD, 01-07-2017, 03:12 PM

Looks interesting. I have not ordered yet myself but with the sale.

PHOTOLOGO | Custom Signature Logos
Views: 3,007
01-07-2017, 03:21 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Honestly looks a bit faddish and cookie-cutter to me. I saw someone use one of these logos on Facebook. :/
01-07-2017, 03:26 PM - 1 Like   #3
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
Honestly looks a bit faddish and cookie-cutter to me. I saw someone use one of these logos on Facebook. :/
That is because it is.. to the point there is someone selling them to anyone on the internet who is willing to give them 40 dollars.

Pretty sure they have some kind of Illustrator template and crank these out left and right..
01-07-2017, 03:38 PM   #4
Veteran Member

When I saw that one facebook I thought it was just a fancy font for photohop..
Not something I would go for, but if it floats your boat.. I guess 40 bucks is not a lot if you use it for years and years to build a brand

01-07-2017, 03:46 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
When I saw that one facebook I thought it was just a fancy font for photohop..
Not something I would go for, but if it floats your boat.. I guess 40 bucks is not a lot if you use it for years and years to build a brand
Maybe? Adobe Illustrator trials are free, and this could be put together pretty easily. Something even better with just a bit more effort.
01-07-2017, 03:56 PM   #6

Photos: Albums
So they're selling to those who can't scan a signature and turn it into a transparency in Photoshop. "This way to the great egress."
01-07-2017, 04:00 PM   #7

Original Poster
Sorry bout this post then. Saw the part about "Every Photologo is individually drawn by hand by one of our experienced, professional calligraphy artists. The skill, attention and love our artists put into each and every design ensures you receive a professional, distinct and original photo signature to call your own."

01-07-2017, 07:57 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I saw this a while back on instagram. Maybe it also was a private person, I'm not sure. Don't know why you'd pay for this, unless your lazy. (that explains it actually..)

I am amazed with what you can earn your money though!
01-07-2017, 08:18 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveD Quote
Sorry bout this post then. Saw the part about "Every Photologo is individually drawn by hand by one of our experienced, professional calligraphy artists. The skill, attention and love our artists put into each and every design ensures you receive a professional, distinct and original photo signature to call your own."
So it isn't even the photographers own signature? This has "Canon user" written all over it.

I wonder if they licensed the photos they're using on their web page...
01-08-2017, 12:11 AM - 1 Like   #10
mee
Veteran Member

This thread made me more curious on this.. Went searching about more infos on this company, and I came upon this YT vid on how to make your own:

Handy. Thanks OP for the post as I ran into something new that has me thinking creatively.
01-08-2017, 12:38 AM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't see this as a signature as such.... not in the literal context of how I might sign a cheque. Not sure if I'd want that illegible thing on my pictures.... or conversly, I wouldn't want a key aspect of my ID just out there either.

So a legible, stylized identifyer makes some sense. Only a lazy person would use their real signature! (or a Canon shooter.... being a bit cynical here... sorry)

---------- Post added 08-01-17 at 06:20 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveD Quote
Why be sorry? Not everyone has photoshop, the skills, the time etc. (generally, we are photographers....not Graphic artisis)....Just because some people belittle it potentially says more about them then anything else.... seriously.... we can all make a hamburger at home but we buy out at times .....

Last edited by noelpolar; 01-08-2017 at 12:54 AM.
01-08-2017, 04:47 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
these folks are just filling a gap in some people's skillset

I've built psd files and rudimentary fonts that were then used for branding (watermarks, business cards, etc)

signatures (legible or not) have a powerful resonance...john hancock insurance or perhaps that name on your k01?

Last edited by ccc_; 01-08-2017 at 05:17 AM.
01-08-2017, 08:57 AM - 1 Like   #13
mee
Veteran Member

If you put the same signature on your photos as the one you put on bank checks then you're asking for trouble.

That said, everyone can follow the steps provided in the yt video and make their own, custom signature watermark. The key here is being creative and designing something unique to you, for you. If you have a pen, a sheet of paper, and an DSLR then you can do this yourself.

But if everyone starts doing this, then it is no longer really unique... it's at trend. People sell trends. This is a trend.

If you are OK with that, then go for it. I think it looks pretty snazzy for what it is, but there is an element to this that still seems off to me. Companies pay big bucks for custom branding. But the branding is generally very unique to the company. This is not that unique; They all look pretty much alike -- a cursively styled signature and the word 'photography.'

I don't go out to eat because I can't cook myself. I go out to eat because I'm either wanting to forgo cooking duties and enjoy the evening, or I'm out in town and it is inconvenient to go home and cook and then come back to town. What I eat doesn't uniquely market or identify me in public. Plus I eat daily. The same doesn't apply here to these watermark sigs. This is a one time process and there is literally a video that goes step by step through the process.

If you want to spend money on it, be my guest. It is your money and they are your photos. But you don't HAVE to, to get the same effect. Every photographer has the tools to do this at home and is capable, creatively, of making one of these!
01-18-2017, 05:15 PM   #14
Veteran Member

This as nothing to do with Pentax and in Pentax price watch
01-20-2017, 10:46 PM   #15
Pentaxian

How many times did he say "Photologo" in that video?