Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
B&H to start collecting NJ Sales Taxes
Posted By: Spodeworld, 01-19-2017, 02:57 PM

Bummer for those of us residing in NJ, but B&H will start collecting sales taxes for NJ residents Feb 1st. :^{

NJ residents will need to factor that into the price of anything they plan on buying once that starts.
Views: 2,296
01-19-2017, 03:09 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's probably just a matter if time before everyone has to pay sales tax. Enjoy it while it lasts!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-19-2017, 03:24 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

The have a "point of presence" in New Jersey, hence the assessment of taxes. The situation is analogous to Amazon. If I place an order to be delivered to a friend in Portland (17 miles south in Oregon), it is fulfilled tax-free. If I order the same item to my home here in Washington State (Amazon is headquartered in Seattle), I am assessed at the sales tax rate for King County, not that for Clark County where I live.

Steve
01-19-2017, 03:25 PM   #4
Pentaxian

B&H is apparently consolidating and expanding its warehouse operations into New Jersey and will ultimately close its current warehouses in Brooklyn. So as a business operating in NJ, they will need to collect NJ sales tax.

EDIT: Steve beat me to it!

01-19-2017, 03:40 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Aren't you folks filing and paying your Use Taxes when buying from B&H, anyway?
01-19-2017, 04:16 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I get all that. Was just looking for some shoulders to cry on.

Last edited by Spodeworld; 01-19-2017 at 04:28 PM.
01-19-2017, 04:34 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
I get all that. Was just looking for some shoulders to cry on.
I gotcha, 5th Amendment.

It feels like we're getting hammered... first the gas tax increase, now the B&H tax increase...
01-19-2017, 04:57 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The have a "point of presence" in New Jersey, hence the assessment of taxes. The situation is analogous to Amazon. If I place an order to be delivered to a friend in Portland (17 miles south in Oregon), it is fulfilled tax-free. If I order the same item to my home here in Washington State (Amazon is headquartered in Seattle), I am assessed at the sales tax rate for King County, not that for Clark County where I live.

Steve
Amazon collects NY sales tax even though they have no business operations in the state. It's part of a deal our Governor did with Amazon while he was still Attorney General. NY does not collect the tax from Amazon, it's just an 8% bonus...

01-19-2017, 05:16 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Since I reside in NY, if I want to avoid sales tax I have to buy elsewhere than B and H.
01-19-2017, 05:37 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Oh, yeah, that too %^<

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I gotcha, 5th Amendment.

It feels like we're getting hammered... first the gas tax increase, now the B&H tax increase...
01-19-2017, 06:39 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
As someone whose family had a B&M Mom and Pop store (literally), I understand this. Out of states not collecting sales tax gives them an advantage. I am really just sur this took so long.
01-19-2017, 08:24 PM   #12
Veteran Member

You had to pay the tax for internet sales at the end of the year anyway, so it's just no longer possible to defer the payment till the end of the year.
01-19-2017, 09:01 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Amazon collects NY sales tax even though they have no business operations in the state. It's part of a deal our Governor did with Amazon while he was still Attorney General. NY does not collect the tax from Amazon, it's just an 8% bonus...
That's an exception, not the rule though. It does seem to leave New Yorkers with 'few places to buy' camera equipment, if the tax applies an undue burden, though, unless you order through a marketplace seller? I assume the 'deal' doesn't apply to those. So you could just order through Adorama through Amazon or something similar.
01-19-2017, 10:03 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
That's an exception, not the rule though. It does seem to leave New Yorkers with 'few places to buy' camera equipment, if the tax applies an undue burden, though, unless you order through a marketplace seller? I assume the 'deal' doesn't apply to those. So you could just order through Adorama through Amazon or something similar.
Adorama collects sales tax on Amazon. But most of the "Sold by xxx. Fulfilled by Amazon" sales are not taxed. I bought my K-5 that way, and my white box 18-135 too.
01-20-2017, 12:06 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
The fact that almost no one actually declares the purchases of these items ...
Is that true? I have, but I vaguely remember there was an option of paying a flat-rate tax adjusted by the AGI, which made it simple. I remember it was roughly accurate, but it would be difficult to go through all the receipts throughout the year.