Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
Ideas for adding value to your spotmatic...
Posted By: Arjay Bee, 01-22-2017, 02:00 AM

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Here is an interesting idea for the Spottie on your shelf...

Spotmatic Correspondent...

I have no connection with this item or seller - just saying...
Views: 3,208
01-22-2017, 04:00 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not the Spottie on my shelf! 😢
01-22-2017, 04:13 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Laughable
01-22-2017, 04:24 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

The kangaroo leather is a nice touch, but apart from that the aesthetics are awful. If you're going to sand it down to brass, sand it ALL down to brass and give it a steampunk look.

01-22-2017, 08:53 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Dang...that is a lot of self-timer wear!!!

Steve
01-22-2017, 09:26 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
And the 'brassing' at the Asahi Pentax mark reveals a unique, previously-unknown camera-holding technique!

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
At these rates for beaten up Spotmatic bodies, I apparently have a suitcase full of old bodies in my closet that is valuable enough to put my kids through college. I knew I kept them for a reason!
Maybe you could open up a new line of business... Forget all that complicated anodizing stuff... just bring out the 120 grit and have at it.

Gotta love the description: Item is in good cosmetic condition...

- Craig
01-22-2017, 10:25 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Ya gotta love the seller's abject ignorance of the meaning of the original term.

A "Correspondent's" camera is a very worn camera used by a widely traveling journalist who corresponded with their distant paper or publisher.

A "Correspondence" camera is WTF!

(The funny thing is I can imagine a proper "Correspondence Kit" camera consisting of a sturdy little shipping box with purpose-built holders for the Spotmatic, a lens, some film, and a place for a thick stack of 4x6 snapshots. You'd buy the kit, use the film, and then send the kit with snapshots and new film to a friend who would use your film and send the camera back to you with their snapshots, etc. It's like the travelling nifty 50 in a prebuilt shipping box. It would be the perfect way for "correspondence" with a film-loving friend.)

Last edited by photoptimist; 01-22-2017 at 11:34 AM.
01-22-2017, 11:01 AM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This is a college behavioral psychology project, right? RIGHT???
01-22-2017, 11:35 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I'd say they had a brass neck but that may be stating the obvious
01-22-2017, 01:50 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
(The funny thing is I can imagine a proper "Correspondence Kit" camera consisting of a sturdy little shipping box with purpose-built holders for the Spotmatic, a lens, some film, and a place for a thick stack of 4x6 snapshots. You'd buy the kit, use the film, and then send the kit with snapshots and new film to a friend who would use your film and send the camera back to you with their snapshots, etc. It's like the travelling nifty 50 in a prebuilt shipping box. It would be the perfect way for "correspondence" with a film-loving friend.)
Not just the Travelling Nifty Fifty; there's currently an entire K1000 doing the rounds.
01-22-2017, 02:19 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

And an SV that has a shipping box lined with plywood, and dense foam with custom cuts for the camera, another lens, a light meter and instruction manual. Every so often someone refreshes the external shipping box.
01-22-2017, 02:26 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
A "Correspondence" camera is WTF!
Definition

Correspondence camera: A camera complete with used film tied to the leg of a carrier pigeon used for communicating images afar. An old communication technique now superseded by email.
01-22-2017, 03:05 PM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Is that like correspondence in a divorce case?
01-22-2017, 03:39 PM - 1 Like   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

think he's inhaled too many solvent fumes cleaning off old finishes....
01-22-2017, 04:24 PM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Steve

WE do live in the selfie age after all.

Well, I guess that's one way to try and get some cash out of scratched up bodies.. Asking for that much though is a bit daft.

It'd also look slightly better if the "customiser" would learn how to use sandpaper properly. It looks like he used just one grit!

I do admit that I find natural 'weathering' can look really cool as if shows signs of some history.