Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Lexar Professional 633x 128GB SDXC UHS-I Card (2 pk $68.50 Amazon)
Posted By: klkitchens, 02-22-2017, 08:02 AM

No referral code in link (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B012PL91TC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?t...&ie=UTF8&psc=1)

Compared to yesterday's B&H deal on the Sandisk, these Lexar are base price $68.50 for a 2 pk on Amazon, but today (2/22) using the code BIGTHANKS, you can get an additional $8.63 discount (off $50 sold by Amazon). With tax to me (Prime shipping) this was $64.50 for the pair or $32.25 each.

Any feedback regarding Lexar quality? I seem to recall them being pretty tops, right?
Views: 537
02-22-2017, 09:17 AM - 1 Like   #2
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I use those cards in my K1 and have been happy with them.
02-22-2017, 12:46 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
This cards are tricky.. it advertise as 95ms ( reading ) .. but according to some reviews its only 10ms+/- writing.. so the cards are sloooowww.. specially if are use with big MP cameras like K1.. or even K3's
02-22-2017, 01:01 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kooks Quote
This cards are tricky.. it advertise as 95ms ( reading ) .. but according to some reviews its only 10ms+/- writing.. so the cards are sloooowww.. specially if are use with big MP cameras like K1.. or even K3's
Hmmm

The Lexar FAQ on UHS-I indicates the U1 10MB/s write minimum is for video only.

On the Amazon page it says: "The cards leverage UHS-I technology (U1 or U3, depending on capacity) for high-speed, Class 10 performance." yet all the cards showing all have U1 indicator. So not sure what that "capacity" reference is to.

However, my current (three year old) cards are 32GB and also U1 and they've served me well, so I guess these will do the same (I hope) with just more storage. But I must admit your comment concerns me not a little.

02-22-2017, 01:59 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

These cards are theoretically slower than the sandisk card in the other thread.

U1 means that the card is only certified for a minimum sustained write speed of 10 Mb/s, although it's likely that the card can write faster (user reports suggest around 20 Mb/s).

The Sandisk card is rated U3, which means you get a minimum sustained write speed of 30 Mb/s.

There is new nomenclature (V30, V60, V90, etc.) for minimum write speed for recently-released cards. Here's more insight into all the labels:
Comprehensive SD Card Guide for Photographers - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-22-2017, 02:47 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
These cards are theoretically slower than the sandisk card in the other thread.

U1 means that the card is only certified for a minimum sustained write speed of 10 Mb/s, although it's likely that the card can write faster (user reports suggest around 20 Mb/s).

The Sandisk card is rated U3, which means you get a minimum sustained write speed of 30 Mb/s.

There is new nomenclature (V30, V60, V90, etc.) for minimum write speed for recently-released cards. Here's more insight into all the labels:
Comprehensive SD Card Guide for Photographers - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com
Exactly write. I have been meaning to explain this gimmickry on the other Sandisk thread. These are basic speed cards (class 10) and are very slow by every means (thats why they are cheaper). Writing a 40gb file onto these cards is like start the copy and go do your daily walk it will be ready when you come back. Besides I had bad experience with Lexars SD they failed me in a bad way (lost important client video clips of an event I was paid for) It is embarrassing to explain to the client that the footage was lost because the SD card failed on me. I have fallen back to Sandisk. Your mileage may vary however.

---------- Post added 02-22-17 at 04:49 PM ----------

Here is what most labels mean

Speed Class Standards for Video Recording - SD Association
02-23-2017, 07:50 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for the information and feedback. In light of this, while I missed the window to cancel my Amazon order, I did process a no-cost return due to the confusing information (mentioned U3 speed on U1 only cards) and will ship them back to Amazon this weekend. I also put in an order at B&H for two of the Sandisk 128GB cards which will arrived Monday. For the extra $16 bucks, you cannot beat it!

Downside is I lost my $8 amazon credit