Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread

Buying cameras in Japan
Posted By: rojaba, 05-10-2017, 12:53 AM

Has anyone ever bought a camera in Japan? These prices seem pretty good (some 700 euros for a K-3ii, which is an atarashii/new one)
(??)PENTAX (??????) K-3 II ??????ID?4549212294006?????? | ??????????????????????????????

Obviously involves a trip to Japan but that would sound to me like killing two birds with one stone

Are there any obvious caveats like not being able to set the UI to English or being given the "wrong" kind of plug/current for the charger?
Views: 5,484
05-13-2017, 06:40 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Mapcamera in Shinjuku, the big Yodobashi in Akihabara.

05-13-2017, 06:51 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Check JapanCameraHunter's blog, he's done a 2 part blog post about the camera shops(new and used) in Tokyo, it's a few years old now but when I was there late 2015 a lot of the major ones were still there.
05-16-2017, 05:27 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
I'm heading to Tokyo in a week, and while my budget is more used 24 mm than new body, are there any good used shops I should hit?

Thanks,

-Eric
To be honest you have to get out of the main centres like Shinjuku & Ginza and go outside the Yamanote line. My two favourites are Fujiya in Nakano & Sanpou (also spelt Sanpoh) in Meguro. Don't forget your passport to buy Tax Free.

I'm in Tokyo atm, picked up an FA 85 1.4 today at Sanpou

Last edited by krazykat; 05-16-2017 at 03:15 PM.
05-16-2017, 07:11 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by elpolodiablo Quote
Check JapanCameraHunter's blog, he's done a 2 part blog post about the camera shops(new and used) in Tokyo, it's a few years old now but when I was there late 2015 a lot of the major ones were still there.
I'm heading to Tokyo around Christmas-New Year so I put in the effort to find those blog posts. It took while to sift through all his posts so thought I'd share the links here:

The Complete Tokyo Camera Shopping Guide - Japan Camera Hunter

Visiting Tokyo? Then go here... - Japan Camera Hunter

08-07-2018, 02:50 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Planning to visit the area in early Oct. I have a 9 hour layover at Narita.
08-07-2018, 03:52 PM - 2 Likes   #21
Veteran Member

This site has a lot of second hand camera gears list from many shop all over Japan and it is always up to date.
Japanese language only but you should be able to use live translation feature from google translation app on your phone (never go to japan without this app!) to help read the site.

I already sat the filter to point at Pentax.
When you click to view product details, scroll down to see address or map of the saler's store. Fujiya and MapCamera list their gears on this website too. You can order online if you can work with Japanese language. I often check for the best price here first then find out if the store is in Tokyo where I can go and hand on test it.

MapCamera has their own web site as rojaba put the link up on the very first post. I think MapCamera web site is pretty good and their price is quit competitive too. Map to their store in Shinjuku is here. It is very close to PentaxSquare, and Tokyo Goverment Office Building which you can go up to the top floor for 360 view of tokyo for free, and it is shinjuku, needless to say everyone go there. And a Map to Fujiya near Nakano station is here. If you like night stree photography, Nakano at night is good. I can not say it is better than Shinjuku but if you already go there, wait until night time and you will get a lot of nice street light photo from there.
I believe both store offer tax free to tourist if you show them your passport.

Last edited by pakinjapan; 08-07-2018 at 04:11 PM.
08-07-2018, 07:11 PM - 1 Like   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pakinjapan Quote
This site has a lot of second hand camera gears list from many shop all over Japan and it is always up to date.
Japanese language only but you should be able to use live translation feature from google translation app on your phone (never go to japan without this app!) to help read the site.

I already sat the filter to point at Pentax.
When you click to view product details, scroll down to see address or map of the saler's store. Fujiya and MapCamera list their gears on this website too. You can order online if you can work with Japanese language. I often check for the best price here first then find out if the store is in Tokyo where I can go and hand on test it.

MapCamera has their own web site as rojaba put the link up on the very first post. I think MapCamera web site is pretty good and their price is quit competitive too. Map to their store in Shinjuku is here. It is very close to PentaxSquare, and Tokyo Goverment Office Building which you can go up to the top floor for 360 view of tokyo for free, and it is shinjuku, needless to say everyone go there. And a Map to Fujiya near Nakano station is here. If you like night stree photography, Nakano at night is good. I can not say it is better than Shinjuku but if you already go there, wait until night time and you will get a lot of nice street light photo from there.
I believe both store offer tax free to tourist if you show them your passport.
You rock!!!

08-08-2018, 02:18 AM   #23
Pentaxian

If I had nine hours in Tokyo I'd be using them to take photos rather than to hunt down gear. I didn't find Japan to be a particularly good place to buy used gear as it's no cheaper than elsewhere, though I had little opportunity to hunt. Where it really stands out is in Pentax new gear, which is available in real shops to try and buy, rather than having to order online.
08-08-2018, 06:38 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
If I had nine hours in Tokyo I'd be using them to take photos rather than to hunt down gear. I didn't find Japan to be a particularly good place to buy used gear as it's no cheaper than elsewhere, though I had little opportunity to hunt. Where it really stands out is in Pentax new gear, which is available in real shops to try and buy, rather than having to order online.
I am planning to visit the official Pentax store as well (if there is such a thing). I need to buy a replacement foot for the DFA 70-200mm
08-08-2018, 03:48 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by manishved Quote
I am planning to visit the official Pentax store as well (if there is such a thing). I need to buy a replacement foot for the DFA 70-200mm
Official Pentax store, if you mean the Pentax Square in Shinjuku?
they are more like showroom+ service center and sometime sale things.

Spend your time wisely, 9 hours might looks long but you mentioned you will be using Narita Airport? Narita Airport is in Narita. They attatch the Tokyo international airport after the name just for their own marketting sake.(i guess!) you will likly spend anywhere from 1.5 to 2 hours to come to let say Shinjukuso that is about 3-4 hours round trip. You will want to check in 2 hours before departure too. Study your train route and research where you want to go well before come here. you will be on a tight schedule. Google map is your best friend. By the way, Haneda Airport is the one inside Tokyo.

this is google map of Pentax square

Last edited by pakinjapan; 08-08-2018 at 03:54 PM.
08-09-2018, 03:28 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Narita airport to Tokyo takes an hour on the train if I remember correctly. Two one-hour train trips plus getting back to the airport at least two hours before the departure leaves you with an absolute max of five hours in Tokyo.
08-24-2018, 11:06 AM   #27
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
I have purchased 4-5 lenses from Japan, and I have always received extremely clean, excellent+ quality. My most recent purchase was the incomparable Pentax-FA* 85mm f 1.4, which arrived last month. The seller's listing specified that the lens had a spot on the hood, but I went over it with a fine-toothed comb (so to say), and could not find the spot.
Please which sites do you use?
Thanks
08-24-2018, 12:28 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by chima chinda Quote
Please which sites do you use?
Thanks
ryousan on eBay for the Pentax 85e f 1.4 lens, but at least a half dozen other eBay sellers from Japan all of which were excellent.
08-27-2019, 11:48 AM   #29

And what about yokohama? does anyone have any suggestions there? i'm going on a business trip, so i dont think i'll have the time to hop on the train to tokyo in the evenings..
10-01-2019, 01:16 PM   #30

I'm going to Japan too, just after Christmas, but I'll be running around like a person trying to fit as much into a 7 day rail pass as possible. Are there any good camera shops (for Pentax) around Ueno station or maybe Namba in Osaka? Thanks.