Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Canon Pixma Pro 100 - $59!!
Posted By: Adam, 10-26-2017, 02:20 PM

One of our favorite deals is back: get this Canon Prima PRO-100 printer for just $59 after a $50 instant rebate and $250 mail in rebate. Plus, you get free 13x19 paper worth $49.99, further reducing the effective cost to almost zero.

Adorama:
Canon PRO 100 PIXMA Wireless Professional Inkjet Photo Printer

Also available at B&H, lower price in cart:
Canon PRO 100 PIXMA Wireless Professional Inkjet Photo 6228B002

You will see the lower price of $309 after adding the printer to your cart, and can then get $250 back after mailing in the rebate form.

Views: 3,512
10-26-2017, 03:13 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I love my Pro 100...'nuff said...though I can't help but add that it simply rocks for monochrome work.

Steve
10-26-2017, 07:21 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
These things are so stupid, and Canon's been running this stunt for years. The ink is so expensive they should give the printer away for free. I still have a *ton* of free paper from the last time I got this sort of deal from Canon. I could never afford/justify using the ink, when real silver color prints cost so little nowadays.
10-26-2017, 08:38 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wolfeye Quote
These things are so stupid, and Canon's been running this stunt for years. The ink is so expensive they should give the printer away for free. I still have a *ton* of free paper from the last time I got this sort of deal from Canon. I could never afford/justify using the ink, when real silver color prints cost so little nowadays.

Please send my way... I love my printer. I'll enjoy your paper. Not being sarcastic - serious.

10-26-2017, 09:33 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

The ink is so expensive they should give the printer away for free.
The ink for my Pro 100 is the same price as for my regular printer that I use for correspondence and not unusually high for high performance units. Granted, things can get very expensive if one has to make a lot of test prints or makes only a few prints at a time. Likewise, good paper is not cheap either. All things considered, the price per print is still a fraction of what it was costing me to do Cibachromes in the darkroom several decades ago or even B&W fine art darkroom prints. Still though, I am not one to waste money. This is my approach to keep costs under control:
  • Keep test prints to a minimum
    • Use the appropriate ICC profiles for ink/paper/printer
    • Softproof and edit to the ICC profile
    • Know in advance what to expect from your paper choice and the image, i.e. keep good records. I manage this by creating multiple virtual copies in Lightroom for image/paper combinations and adding comments to the metadata regarding special treatment.
  • Don't start the printer up unless one is planning on doing a significant amount of printing. A lot of ink is wasted in start-up.
  • Tailor dpi to the task at hand. Extra ink to paper is a waste of ink and results in an actual decrease in print resolution. Rare is the job that requires greater than 300 dpi.
  • Use paper appropriate to the task. Yes, I do sometimes print to Moab fine art papers, but usually, it is to Canon or Red River for half the cost.
To be honest, I believe that my paper costs are about 2x - 3x per image what I spend on ink.

I could never afford/justify using the ink, when real silver color prints cost so little nowadays.
It sounds like doing your own printing may not be a good fit for you. If Costco or mail-order prints are satisfactory, that make perfect sense.

As for "real silver prints"...If I could get a custom silver print made from my K-3's output for less than what it costs me with the Pro 100, I would do it. If made from a film negative, the price for a 16x20 is $75 for a custom B&W darkroom print at Bluemoon Camera just across the river. I don't know anyone locally that makes custom "silver" color (wet darkroom) prints. Ink jet prints on so-called metallic papers on the other hand are readily available online and are just that. I have not been impressed. There is a guy here locally that does dye transfer onto sheet aluminum, but his prices are very, very high as is his quality. Costco charges $53 for a 16x20 on aluminum.

Steve

(...BTW...While I am not always wise in my purchases*, I don't consider my use of the Pro 100 as particularly "stupid"...)

* Yes, I own three Exakta film cameras. Is that dumb or what?

Last edited by stevebrot; 10-26-2017 at 09:39 PM.
10-27-2017, 03:09 AM - 1 Like   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
I've covered the walls in 3 rooms with photos printed with on the starter ink, and still going strong (albeit close to running out). Really can't complain about a virtually free printer pulling that off

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-27-2017, 04:30 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
i just started using non-canon ink... haven't been using it long enough for a review, but the amazon reviews are very good... and it's wayyyyy cheaper. amazon.com: YoYoInk 8 Pack Compatible Ink Cartridge for CLI-42 Pixma Pro-100 (1 Black, 1 Cyan, 1 Gray, 1 Light Gray, 1 Magenta, 1 Yellow, 1 Photo Cyan, 1 Photo Magenta) with Ink Level Indicator: Office Products?tag=pentaxforums-20&

10-27-2017, 04:32 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, ink is expensive. But, if you pay attention to Canon specials on ink, they often offer free paper with the purchase of ink. Right now, the have a deal going where you get free 50 sheets of 13x19 Luster paper when you spend $30 or more on ink. Plus you get free shipping. So, buy two cartridges of ink for $33.98 and get 50 sheets of Luster. Do four separate transactions and you get a set of ink cartridges for $135.92 plus 200 sheets of 13x19 paper. You can find this deal at: PIXMA PRO-100 Inks | Canon Online Store
10-27-2017, 06:31 AM - 1 Like   #9

True that.

150 Dollars for a refill.
If you have to testprint for calibration, you will cry. And it goes through the ink very very fast.

Personally, I' d look for the 10s or the 1. They have better quantity.
Or hey, print at a shop (get their ICC and have fun, it's cheaper so) .

Enjoy

Last edited by K5_Ltd_User; 10-31-2017 at 01:41 PM.
10-27-2017, 06:51 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by West Penn Quote
Yes, ink is expensive. But, if you pay attention to Canon specials on ink, they often offer free paper with the purchase of ink. Right now, the have a deal going where you get free 50 sheets of 13x19 Luster paper when you spend $30 or more on ink. Plus you get free shipping. So, buy two cartridges of ink for $33.98 and get 50 sheets of Luster. Do four separate transactions and you get a set of ink cartridges for $135.92 plus 200 sheets of 13x19 paper. You can find this deal at: PIXMA PRO-100 Inks | Canon Online Store
See, that's the hook. We'll give you free paper when you buy ink - yet the ink you just bought is nowhere near enough to print even half the 'free' paper. So you buys more inks, you gets more paper. Eventually you have four THOUSAND sheets of paper, no ink, and your dog is starving.

Last edited by Wolfeye; 10-30-2017 at 05:48 AM.
10-27-2017, 11:08 AM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Clearly, Canon ink is expensive, but you getting a quality product and the free paper helps lower the price of printing. There are also third-party inks as pointed out by sculptor666 that can be had for around $30,00 for a set of eight cartridges, and if you google "CLI-42" you'll see other ink sets for the Pro-100 that are even cheaper. How good these inks are may be another story. There also is Precision Colors inks that lower the price of printing considerably and users report a good match color-wise with Canon's inks. However, the question of print longevity comes into play with all third-party inks.

Red River Paper has articles on the cost of printing for a variety of printers including the PRO-100. The cost for ink alone with this printer was $2.70 per 13x19 print with individual ink cartridges costing $14.99 each. I believe Costco charges $3.99 for a 12x18 print. You can read the Red River Paper article here: Cost of Inkjet Printing Report Canon PRO-100
10-29-2017, 05:01 PM - 3 Likes   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

See, that's the hook. We'll give you free paper when you but ink - yet the ink you just bought is nowhere near enough to print even half the 'free' paper. So you buys more inks, you gets more paper. Eventually you have four THOUSAND sheets of paper, no ink, and your dog is starving.
Sorry, about your dog.

I don't own a dog...even a free one from the animal shelter. Yes, they give you free food and a collar when you take them home, but food consumption is outrageous, particular with the larger, high performance breeds. I tried brand-x food, but that stopped the poor thing up so bad I had to pay to have the vet clean'em out. Did a bit of calculation and figure I was getting only 100 tail wags per ounce of American Natural. That Labrador is only good for turning food into poop. I should've gotten a Sheltie.

Steve
10-29-2017, 05:13 PM - 1 Like   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by West Penn Quote
The cost for ink alone with this printer was $2.70 per 13x19 print with individual ink cartridges costing $14.99 each. I believe Costco charges $3.99 for a 12x18 print.
That is a no-brainer if one gets the paper and printer for free.

Steve
10-31-2017, 05:07 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sculptor666 Quote
What is the quality of this ink? I mean for 30 bucks is it really worth it?
10-31-2017, 07:50 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
i'm only replacing cartridges as the old(canon) ones run out, but no problems so far. read the amazon reviews for better info. maybe i can do a side by side comparison leaving two prints on my dashboard for 3 months or something.