Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Amazon Warehouse - DA 60-250 f/4 - $421.95 (1 copy)
Posted By: disasterfilm, 01-09-2018, 05:17 PM

I am happy I managed to holster my wallet tonight and not take this one home with me.

It's listed so inexpensively because it is lacking:
* the lens hood
* the lens cap
* the original case
* and probably the original box.

But if someone is lusting after this lens and doesn't want to pay current/pre-owned pricing, I've never seen it cheaper. By far! And you can find the lens hoods every now and then at B&H / Adorama / KEH's used inventory.

Here's the link - amazon.com: Buying Choices: Pentax smc DA 60-250mmF4ED ?tag=pentaxforums-20&[IF] SDM SMCP-DA 60~250/F4SDM
Views: 1,388
01-09-2018, 06:22 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow. That's a steal.
01-09-2018, 07:18 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
... and it's gone! Hope it was someone here that claimed this one.

Is there a "closeout" option for deals threads? This one is toast.
01-09-2018, 09:56 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by disasterfilm Quote
... and it's gone! Hope it was someone here that claimed this one.

Is there a "closeout" option for deals threads? This one is toast.
Not at the moment- just let it die off naturally

IMO this deal sounded a little too good to be true! Either someone got a real steal or the lens had issues.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-09-2018, 10:50 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I'm curious how that lens came to Amazon Warehouse. Did someone buy a new lens from Amazon, strip off all the accessories, then return it? Why would Amazon accept such a return?
01-10-2018, 08:43 AM   #6
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Hmm, sadly this is a common SCAM Method in the german Amazon.
Usually some retailer offers products for a ridiculously low price and then proceeds to demand the payment outside of Amazon.
Your money is gone and you never see what you ordered. Amazon seems to be rather powerless about this, as scammers open hundreds of accounts and sometimes even hack into trustworthy and proven retailers accounts.
Though the amount of these offers went back here.
01-10-2018, 11:47 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tau-Ceti Quote
Hmm, sadly this is a common SCAM Method in the german Amazon.
There are scam sellers in US Amazon too. I had 2 encounters with them. One seller shipped used cell phone instead of new one.
Second incident was for 250$ pressure cooker. Seller charged my CC and kept on postponing the shipment date. In the end seller refunded the money. I think he wanted to build history of selling expensive utensils on Amazon.

Some sellers quote less price for main product and sell the manufacturer supplied accessories separately. This happened with Minolta Dimage II. This seller was not on Amazon. But all these sellers were located at Brooklyn NY. So I give some attention to seller's location
01-10-2018, 12:11 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
too good to be true!
I was going to say just that !

01-10-2018, 12:49 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxfall Quote
....Some sellers quote less price for main product and sell the manufacturer supplied accessories separately. This happened with Minolta Dimage II. This seller was not on Amazon. But all these sellers were located at Brooklyn NY. So I give some attention to seller's location
I refuse to buy electronics from Brooklyn. I was never a scam victim, but a small circle of dishonest people kept opening and closing stores in Brooklyn that abused customers. The walk-in camera stores along Times Square are similar; advertise low price then force customer to buy other overpriced items, and other bait&switch tactics.

My walk-in purchases get done at B&H or Adorama. Add Amazon to those 2 plus for mail order.
01-11-2018, 07:45 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If anyone is looking for a DA 60-250 F/4, I did spot this one:

smc PENTAX DA* 60-250mm f/4 SDM ED IF Lens **AS IS - Please Read** | eBay

It looks like someone attempted an SDM repair but couldn't get the contacts back in place. I acquired a DA* 50-135 F/2.8 in similar condition and was able to get it functional by stealing contacts from a couple of old DA 18-55 lenses. My total investment, however, was considerably less than the starting bid on this lens.
01-11-2018, 10:37 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reduno Quote
If anyone is looking for a DA 60-250 F/4, I did spot this one:

smc PENTAX DA* 60-250mm f/4 SDM ED IF Lens **AS IS - Please Read** | eBay

It looks like someone attempted an SDM repair but couldn't get the contacts back in place. I acquired a DA* 50-135 F/2.8 in similar condition and was able to get it functional by stealing contacts from a couple of old DA 18-55 lenses. My total investment, however, was considerably less than the starting bid on this lens.
It would be interesting to get DC Shooters opinion on this lens.