Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
GiveAway of the Day: Cyberlink's PhotoDirector 8 DE
Posted By: Not a Number, 01-18-2018, 05:28 AM

GiveAway of the Day is offering Cyberlink's PhotoDirector 8 DE. As with all GiveAway of the Day software offerings the software must be installed by midnight of the day of the offer. License is free but updates and support may not be available.

Giveaway of the Day. PhotoDirector 8 DE - Everything you need to manage, adjust, and edit your digital photo collection!

Link to GOTD offer on Cyberlink's site:
PhotoDirector 8 Download

Installation is typically with an installer downloader which will either have license information or will license the software for you. GOTD offers are legitimate.

It's free. You can always uninstall it if you don't like it.
Views: 1,941
01-18-2018, 05:36 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Downloading it now, just out of curiosity I'm pretty much decided on my move to Darktable, but it's always interesting to see what other software is capable of...

Thanks for the link
01-18-2018, 06:17 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I see they have a newer version 9 Ultra. This must be their "hook" to get you to try the software. I took the bait. I hope it is useful and not just a space occupier, I've probably got way to many digital editing toys now.

Hmm the product key didn't work and I copied and pasted it from the links page it was the same product key that was sent with their return email. The installed file is almost 700mb which I uninstalled. So much for the bogus giveaway.

Thanks for the link

Larry

Last edited by Larrymc; 01-18-2018 at 07:09 AM.
01-18-2018, 09:12 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Reading the comments suggests that this is a reduced functionality/crippledware offereing. The registration code is apparently in a readme.txt file included in the .zip.

01-18-2018, 09:55 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by marcusBMG Quote
Reading the comments suggests that this is a reduced functionality/crippledware offereing. The registration code is apparently in a readme.txt file included in the .zip.
Oh it probably is a reduced functionality software. Nope the download was an executable file, they send you the product key via email which, BTW does not work. The .exe file loaded the software package fine but it would not activate with the available product key.
01-18-2018, 11:17 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Oh it probably is a reduced functionality software. Nope the download was an executable file, they send you the product key via email which, BTW does not work. The .exe file loaded the software package fine but it would not activate with the available product key.
That's weird. The product key that I used from the readme.txt file worked just fine
01-19-2018, 04:04 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by marcusBMG Quote
Or some Russian / Chinese spyware (Kaspersky?)
01-19-2018, 04:16 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

UPDATE: I'm actually rather impressed with this software, but for two issues I haven't yet been able to resolve. Firstly, colour reproduction of RAW files is very strange compared to LR and other RAW processors. Secondly, at 1:1 reproduction, images seem to have a lot of JPEG-style artefacts. I'm not yet sure whether this follows through to exports, or is simply due to compression for speed of on-screen display / processing.

Colour noise reduction is *excellent* - easily amongst the best I've tried. From my early testing, I'd say it's second only to LR in this area.

Certainly worth playing with

QuoteOriginally posted by manishved Quote
Or some Russian / Chinese spyware (Kaspersky?)
I don't think so. I downloaded my copy from the provided link, my license key worked perfectly, and the software notified me that there was an update available, which downloaded from the publisher's site and continued to run with the same key. Seems very legit to me

01-19-2018, 07:35 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Glad yours worked, Mike, I decided not to even bother trying to get it to work. I've got DXO PhotoLab Elite and my old standby Zoner ZPS X plus Photomatix Pro so thats plenty for me. On a side note your mentioning color noise reduction, I've gained a new found respect for my old standby Zoner ZPS X and its noise reduction module. I've been learning how to use the manual rather than automatic controls better especially the local color correction for noise and it works great! I have avoided that control but now that I understand it a bit better I really like it

Larry

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
That's weird. The product key that I used from the readme.txt file worked just fine
01-20-2018, 06:16 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Download link on Cyberlink website still appears to be working. I downloaded last night and was able to activate using the product key that was shown when I initiated download. I have not checked to see what was e-mailed.