Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread

Pixma Pro 100 Printer - $19 deal is back!
Posted By: Adam, 02-28-2018, 04:06 PM

The awesome Pixma printer deal is back at Adorama! I'm sure it won't last very long.

Canon PIXMA PRO-100 Professional Photo Inkjet Printer 6228B002

Price Breakdown: $369 regular price
-$50 Coupon Code HBWPPI99 (apply at checkout)
-$250 Canon Mail-in Rebate
-$50 free photo paper value

$19 total cost after Rebates and free paper, $69 out of pocket

Views: 8,186
03-08-2018, 11:58 PM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Greenneck Quote
Is it cost effective to run vs sending prints out?
If you use all the ink as much 13x19" paper as you can immediately upon receipt, it will be extremely cost effective, much much cheaper than sending prints out for that size. You won't have enough ink to print all 50 sheets, though, maybe 10-25 depending on which quality you decide to print with.

If you only do occasional prints, the ink will dry and the printer head will clog, like nearly all inkjet printers. At that point, you may need to run cleaning cycles, which may empty a good chunk of the ink cartridges. I use relatively inexpensive third party ink (from PrecisionColor) so this isn't so much of an issue, except for the hour wasted running so many cleaning cycles to get it to print correctly with all colors. But you are paying big $$$ for the name brand Canon ink, then that will become much too costly.

Note that this is a very big printer physically. You need the appropriate space for it.

03-09-2018, 04:40 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Got mine and did some on-line research since I am new to Canon printing. There are some excellent YouTube presentations on unpacking and using the Canon PRO 10 and 100 printers (dare I say by Jose R.).

In one of those, the presenter alluded to the fact that the worst thing to do is to let the printer set without use (clogs and bad printing). He seemed to like the Pixma PROs and had accumulated 3 of them (along with well over 10 other working printers). Very good presentations if you're new to Canon.

The package was big and heavy and the UPS man had his hands full. Now I have to find space to put the printer before I can use it.

The ink refills for the printer cost considerably more than the printer (with the offer relevant to this thread) but that's to be expected as Canon hopes to make back money on those rather than the printer itself. In any case, this was a great deal on a pretty good printer and paper to go with it and there are alternative refill options.

Last edited by Bob 256; 03-09-2018 at 04:46 PM.
05-28-2018, 11:26 AM   #33

What is the Promotion ID for this item for those who purchased the printer in February or March? I bought mine on Feb.28, and was just filling out the Rebate form on-line here -
Canon USA Consumer Rebates
It won't let me proceed, because Canon is running a new promotion cycle now, with a new Promotion ID. If anyone had saved their rebate form, the promotion ID is on the last page, in a box on the upper right. It starts with 819...
Thanks.
Might have the Canon Cust.Support , I'm guessing.
05-28-2018, 03:18 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DMITRY1 Quote
What is the Promotion ID for this item for those who purchased the printer in February or March? I bought mine on Feb.28, and was just filling out the Rebate form on-line here -
Canon USA Consumer Rebates
It won't let me proceed, because Canon is running a new promotion cycle now, with a new Promotion ID. If anyone had saved their rebate form, the promotion ID is on the last page, in a box on the upper right. It starts with 819...
Thanks.
Might have the Canon Cust.Support , I'm guessing.
If you purchased it from Adorama,the promotion is 8191475 . However, the terms of the rebate at
https://www.adorama.com/pdfs/rebates/CanonCameraMIRclaimform31MAR2018.pdf

state that your submission must be postmarked by May 1, 2018 and received by May 15, 2018 . So, I think you are SOL on this one.
With rebates, it's imperative to submit them quickly, as there are often deadlines in the fine print, and other gotchas.
FYI, I bought my Pro-100 on 3/3, submitted the rebate on 3/13, and got my rebate card on 4/23 .

05-28-2018, 04:46 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Might be worth $19.
Nice prints, but huge waste of ink. Very poor ink management.
The software to control the printer is also woefully painful to use.
05-28-2018, 06:04 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Check the cost of consumables and yield before purchasing any printer.
Some initial bargains can be quite expensive with use in the long run.

Chris
05-29-2018, 12:19 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
The software to control the printer is also woefully painful to use.
In what way ? I have not found that to be the case.

---------- Post added 05-29-18 at 12:19 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Check the cost of consumables and yield before purchasing any printer.
Some initial bargains can be quite expensive with use in the long run.

Chris
You don't have to use expensive Canon ink.

05-29-2018, 05:53 AM   #38

Here's an article on the cost of ink used in printing on the Pro-100 -- Cost of Inkjet Printing Report Canon PRO-100 -- so you can weigh the benefits of home printing vs costs. And as was mentioned, you can refill the Canon ink cartridges with third-party inks at considerable savings, although you'll sacrifice print longevity. Canon also has sales like free paper when you buy ink that also help lower printing costs. The Red River estimates are likely on the low side if you don't print often as some ink gets wasted during cleaning cycles before printing, but this really isn't a significant amount.

I've not found a problem using the Canon supplied software for printing, but it only works with Lightroom or Photoshop I believe. On the other hand, you also have the option of using any other printing software you wish. The Canon software has one especially nice feature in troubleshooting some printing issues regarding print brightness and tonal shifts, so it's well worth installing and testing.
05-29-2018, 12:01 PM - 2 Likes   #39
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very poor ink management.
Amazing all the comments on a promotion that ended several months ago. FWIW, I get about the same ink "mileage" (per inch2) from my Pro 100 as from other ink jet printers I have owned and better than Red River's estimate by a factor of two. Though I have to admit that it sucks for everyday letter and Web page printing and don't recommend it for general use. I could easily spend 5x as much (paper + ink) for similar quality from local service bureaus, so I remain happy with my big hunk printer.

As far as the Canon software goes...I print directly from Lightroom's Print module. I tried the LR plug-in, but found it cumbersome. I never installed the other stuff other than the printer drivers.

Steve

(...took delivery this morning of 4 ink tanks and 100 sheets of 13x19 semi-gloss paper for $74 total including shipping...)
06-01-2018, 03:59 PM - 1 Like   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
(...took delivery this morning of 4 ink tanks and 100 sheets of 13x19 semi-gloss paper for $74 total including shipping...)
... and that is the second reason I buy my inks from Canon. Pretty nice.
Price of ink is about the same as from Amazon, but we get great bundles of Canon paper for free.
I actually have so much laying around now that I give or trade it to other photographers.

First reason...
I know people who work for the printer manufacturers writing their firmware and designing the hardware... the things they make the printer do behind the scenes when it detects non-brand inks is absolutely deplorable. I would say, if not absolutely illegal it is definitely immoral.
06-01-2018, 04:44 PM   #41
Veteran Member

... and that is the second reason I buy my inks from Canon. Pretty nice.
Price of ink is about the same as from Amazon, but we get great bundles of Canon paper for free.
I actually have so much laying around now that I give or trade it to other photographers.

First reason...
I know people who work for the printer manufacturers writing their firmware and designing the hardware... the things they make the printer do behind the scenes when it detects non-brand inks is absolutely deplorable. I would say, if not absolutely illegal it is definitely immoral.
And if you update to the latest HP software on most of the office jet models, I think it will not work without OEM ink carts installed. Now it just nags on our household printer.

Ink is their profit center.
06-01-2018, 05:34 PM - 1 Like   #42

With the Canon PRO-100, you can't simply refill the cartridges and go along you merry way printing. You need a chip re-setter. Without it, the printer quits. Aside from that, there are no dire consequences of using third-party inks aside from print longevity. So it's a trade off. You want the best longevity possible, buy Canon inks. If it's a hobby and you want to go as cheaply as possible, use third-party inks. Precision Colors sells re-setters and inks that render prints quite similar in appearance to the Canon inks. One glitch, however, is that PC's yellow ink jells when mixed with Canon yellow, so you need to flush the cartridge extremely well or you could simply buy yellow cartridges from Canon.
06-01-2018, 05:50 PM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by T Evergreen Quote
With the Canon PRO-100, you can't simply refill the cartridges and go along you merry way printing. You need a chip re-setter. Without it, the printer quits. Aside from that, there are no dire consequences of using third-party inks aside from print longevity. So it's a trade off. You want the best longevity possible, buy Canon inks. If it's a hobby and you want to go as cheaply as possible, use third-party inks. Precision Colors sells re-setters and inks that render prints quite similar in appearance to the Canon inks. One glitch, however, is that PC's yellow ink jells when mixed with Canon yellow, so you need to flush the cartridge extremely well or you could simply buy yellow cartridges from Canon.
Nice information to have! I am trying to find a way to justify the purchase of one of these printers. So there is a RFID chip in each that needs a reset if you do the needle refills? Sounds like the new Keurig machines with RFID chips in the K-cups so you can't fill your own.
06-01-2018, 08:04 PM   #44

Yes, but just like the Keurig machines, there is a way around those chips. You can read about the process of resetting and refilling those cartridges here -- Precision Colors C5B
06-01-2018, 08:37 PM - 1 Like   #45
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by T Evergreen Quote
There is another aspect of non-manufacturer ink when doing high-quality photo printing. That being the ICC profiles that allow for highly-predictive soft-proofing and very low wastage. I typically do one or two test prints at most for adjustment and usually don't have to do any. Those profiles are typically provided by the paper makers and brand-X ink support is uncommon.

Steve