Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread

Pixma Pro 100 Printer - $19 deal is back!
Posted By: Adam, 02-28-2018, 04:06 PM

The awesome Pixma printer deal is back at Adorama! I'm sure it won't last very long.

Canon PIXMA PRO-100 Professional Photo Inkjet Printer 6228B002

Price Breakdown: $369 regular price
-$50 Coupon Code HBWPPI99 (apply at checkout)
-$250 Canon Mail-in Rebate
-$50 free photo paper value

$19 total cost after Rebates and free paper, $69 out of pocket

Views: 8,171
06-02-2018, 05:55 AM   #46

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
There is another aspect of non-manufacturer ink when doing high-quality photo printing. That being the ICC profiles that allow for highly-predictive soft-proofing and very low wastage. I typically do one or two test prints at most for adjustment and usually don't have to do any. Those profiles are typically provided by the paper makers and brand-X ink support is uncommon.

Steve
I don't think third-party inks equate to high-quality printing, especially when longevity comes into play, but Precision Color inks provide a good match color wise for OEM inks, so using Canon's ICC profiles are no problem. Nevertheless, if someone requires high-quality prints, they'd be foolish to say the least if they used third-party inks.
I hate to mention it on PF, but over on the DP Reviews forum there are many PRO-100 users, some of whom are quite knowledgeable regarding refilling and using PC inks. Also, there have been plenty of discussions there on print fading with third-party inks, along with ways to minimize those shortcomings.

06-02-2018, 11:27 AM   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
There is another aspect of non-manufacturer ink when doing high-quality photo printing. That being the ICC profiles that allow for highly-predictive soft-proofing and very low wastage. I typically do one or two test prints at most for adjustment and usually don't have to do any. Those profiles are typically provided by the paper makers and brand-X ink support is uncommon.

Steve
Precision Colors have created profiles for many brands and types of paper :
Precision Colors Pro-100 PC42 ICC Profiles

---------- Post added 06-02-18 at 11:28 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by T Evergreen Quote
I don't think third-party inks equate to high-quality printing, especially when longevity comes into play, but Precision Color inks provide a good match color wise for OEM inks, so using Canon's ICC profiles are no problem. Nevertheless, if someone requires high-quality prints, they'd be foolish to say the least if they used third-party inks.
I hate to mention it on PF, but over on the DP Reviews forum there are many PRO-100 users, some of whom are quite knowledgeable regarding refilling and using PC inks. Also, there have been plenty of discussions there on print fading with third-party inks, along with ways to minimize those shortcomings.
I'm not seeing any problem with the quality of prints made with PC inks. Longevity would be the main trade-off, IMO. When putting prints under glass or photo albums, I believe that is much less of an issue.
The price of the Canon inks is just too high, IMO.
06-02-2018, 01:31 PM - 1 Like   #48

QuoteOriginally posted by madbrain Quote
Precision Colors have created profiles for many brands and types of paper :
Precision Colors Pro-100 PC42 ICC Profiles

---------- Post added 06-02-18 at 11:28 AM ----------

I'm not seeing any problem with the quality of prints made with PC inks. Longevity would be the main trade-off, IMO. When putting prints under glass or photo albums, I believe that is much less of an issue.
The price of the Canon inks is just too high, IMO.
Madbrain, PC inks meet my personal needs. No question about it. Longevity in my view though is part of the quality issue and while I can control how a print is displayed, I certainly wouldn't use them in a commercial endeavor or where there was some expectancy of permanence on the part of the recipient. Hang a print in a sun drenched room and things likely will be heading south in relatively short order. With all that said, I doubt I could tell the difference between a PC ink print and an OEM one. They look that good and you can save lots of money.
While on the subject of saving money, Canon has been running a rebate program continuously for the PRO-100 for a number of years now. You get a $250 American Express gift card when you purchase the printer and 50 sheets of 13x19 paper (which the retailers typically provide for free), The current selling price for the printer is $369.99, So with the rebate, the net cost is $119.99. For that, you get paper worth $50.00 and a set of ink cartridges worth $125, plus you get a new printer and print head. The current Canon rebate period runs through the month of June and given their past practices they likely will have a new rebate program in July, etc.. So, you can buy number of these printers and get the rebate as long as you buy them during different rebate cycles. You should read the fine print on the rebate form just to be sure as things do change. The American Express card is as good as cash in most places. Your bank might give you cash for it. You can even do you grocery shopping at Walmart with one. American Express begins to charge a small monthly fee if you don't spend the full value of the card within a certain period of time -- six months comes to mind, but again read the fine print.

Also, during special events like some photography expos, some retailers like Adorama and B&H, throw in an extra rebate of $50.00 so you save even more. The Christmas season/Black Friday is another period when extra discounts may be possible.