Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  
HD-DA 55-300 WR's (new) - $146.95 at B&H
Posted By: disasterfilm, 03-01-2018, 08:58 AM

This is $250 below their normal price. This is beyond plausibly cheap for a really fantastic budget zoom lens.

Though I don't need one, I'm having a hard time not buying.

Pentax HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm f/4-5.8 ED WR Lens 22270 B&H Photo

Views: 16,484
03-02-2018, 11:15 AM   #46

Thank you so much for sharing this good deal! I placed my order just few mins ago.... Cheap as dirt! Even more cheap than Taobao!(Market place from China that selling doubtful/fake stuff)

03-02-2018, 11:39 AM   #47
Veteran Member

This is no longer advertised at that price. It is ~$390 now so I am assuming that that deal is long gone now.
03-02-2018, 12:12 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
I got a notice today that it shipped.
As did mine.
03-02-2018, 12:32 PM   #49
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by derelict Quote
This is no longer advertised at that price. It is ~$390 now so I am assuming that that deal is long gone now.
Indeed, it looks like the deal is gone.

May be worth setting up a price alert in case it comes back:

Price Alert Form

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-02-2018, 12:39 PM   #50
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Indeed, it looks like the deal is gone. . . . ]
" . . . there is a season . . . "

there is a time for every season - Bing video
03-02-2018, 12:48 PM   #51
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Indeed, it looks like the deal is gone...

Adam, can you explain Ricoh's motivation for offering such a crazy good deal?
Or can B&H, et al offer huge markdowns without authorization from Ricoh?
03-02-2018, 12:49 PM   #52
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by .a.t. Quote
Adam, can you explain Ricoh's motivation for offering such a crazy good deal?
Or can B&H, et al offer huge markdowns without authorization from Ricoh?
If the lens is discontinued, I believe restrictions are usually dropped. Could be the case here since the 55-300mm PLM is probably going to be a permanent replacement for the old 55-300mm.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-02-2018, 12:51 PM   #53
Veteran Member

Indeed, it looks like the deal is gone.

May be worth setting up a price alert in case it comes back:

Price Alert Form
Last thing I need is temptation. I was merely interested by its being so cheap, not necessarily because I want that focal length.

03-02-2018, 01:31 PM   #54
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If the lens is discontinued, I believe restrictions are usually dropped. Could be the case here since the 55-300mm PLM is probably going to be a permanent replacement for the old 55-300mm.
Interesting. The U.S. Ricoh Imaging website still lists the HD PENTAX DA 55-300mm F4 5.8 ED WR, but shows a picture of the PLM version.
And, curiously, the (red) ED WR lens is listed under "standard" lenses, while the PLM version is found under "telephoto"...
K - Mount Lenses

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
. . .
what does " sealed " mean ?
From browsing the Ricoh Imaging site, it appears that all WR lenses have moisture seals, but the higher end lenses have more / better seals which also resist dust. In fact, the D-FA 150-450mm is said to be " dust-proof ".
HD PENTAX-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6ED DC AW
03-02-2018, 01:35 PM   #55
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Interesting. The U.S. Ricoh Imaging website still lists the HD PENTAX DA 55-300mm F4 5.8 ED WR, but shows a picture of the PLM version. And, curiously, the (red) ED WR lens is listed under "standard" lenses, while the PLM version is found under "telephoto"... K - Mount Lenses
Let's not get in to that web site I've been pointing out errors to Ricoh since 2014, but they've persisted.

From browsing the Ricoh Imaging site, it appears that all WR lenses have moisture seals, but the higher end lenses have more / better seals which also resist dust. In fact, the D-FA 150-450mm is said to be " dust-proof ". HD PENTAX-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6ED DC AW
Yes, WR = moisture protection, AW = moisture+dust protection

AW is found on high-end lenses, including star lenses. Usually AW lenses have fewer or smaller moving parts, so they inherently also deliver better moisture protection.

@Aslyfox

Adam

03-02-2018, 02:10 PM   #56
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

. . . Yes, WR = moisture protection, AW = moisture+dust protection

AW is found on high-end lenses, including star lenses. Usually AW lenses have fewer or smaller moving parts, so they inherently also deliver better moisture protection.

@Aslyfox
I was aware of the difference between " AW " and " WR "

do all star lenses have AW or only those which has the designation
03-02-2018, 02:12 PM   #57
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Let's not get in to that web site ...
Okay.

As for B&H's site, they tell me my lens "shipped on Mar 7, 2018".
(Today is March 2nd. )
03-02-2018, 02:13 PM - 1 Like   #58
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

All the * lenses. The AW designation was first used on 645 lenses that weren't considered *.
03-02-2018, 05:00 PM   #59
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Yes, all star lenses have it. It's not a part of the lens name, but the icon is on the box.

Adam

03-05-2018, 07:18 AM   #60
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

there is an excellent thread on how Pentax protects its camera and lenses

About those WR body weather seals...User responsibility and best practice - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com

angerdan just posted the link to this PDF there:

https://c2b6d376b97bcc466063-5420c200a1f030d1394a9548df6eadbd.ssl.cf2.rackcd...e_V2%20_2_.pdf

" OVERVIEW OF WEATHER AND WATER RESISTANT PENTAX RICOH IMAGING CAMERAS AND LENSES

A growing list of PENTAX photographic products including DSLR cameras, compact digital cameras and certain interchangeable lenses have been specifically engineered to include a high level of protection against dust, moisture, rain and cold temperatures. Water-tight access covers, gaskets and a generous number of seals in the construction of the camera and lens body have expanded how and where these products can be used. First are the PENTAX DA* (DA Star) lenses. Recognized for their outstanding image quality and advanced features, PENTAX DA* lenses handle harsh weather with ease. Because each part of a DA* lens that might contact the environment is tightly sealed, it is ideal for use in dusty or rainy conditions.

PENTAX DA* lenses are categorized both dustproof and water resistant.

The next category of “all weather” PENTAX lenses is designated “WR”. These affordable lenses utilize a simplified weather-resistant construction (similar to the sealing technology used in DA* lenses) which makes it difficult for water to enter the lens. PENTAX WR lenses are categorized weather-resistant "