Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  
HD-DA 55-300 WR's (new) - $146.95 at B&H
Posted By: disasterfilm, 03-01-2018, 08:58 AM

This is $250 below their normal price. This is beyond plausibly cheap for a really fantastic budget zoom lens.

Though I don't need one, I'm having a hard time not buying.

Pentax HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm f/4-5.8 ED WR Lens 22270 B&H Photo

Views: 18,264
03-12-2018, 11:44 AM   #76

Photos: Albums
Has anyone who is waiting for one of these lenses had any update from B&H about their availability? Website is still showing 7-14 days and its nearly been that long since the deal occurred.

03-12-2018, 11:47 AM   #77
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I talked to someone at B&H last Friday and they still couldn't give me a time when they'd have more in stock. So, I cancelled my order.
03-12-2018, 09:25 PM   #78
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
I talked to someone at B&H last Friday and they still couldn't give me a time when they'd have more in stock. So, I cancelled my order.
I have an order number and am quite willing to wait for a deal like that. No update from B&H yet just the first email with my order number.
03-12-2018, 09:35 PM   #79
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I had an order number too. But I've decided that I'll wait and get the PLM version cause Adam said I could use it with my broken aperture K-30 Black Knight. I've been using it with the AA adapter and it works fine. And the PLM version will work on my K-50 too, I updated the firmware on that one. .

03-13-2018, 12:55 AM   #80
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I had an order number too. But I've decided that I'll wait and get the PLM version cause Adam said I could use it with my broken aperture K-30 Black Knight. I've been using it with the AA adapter and it works fine. And the PLM version will work on my K-50 too, I updated the firmware on that one. .
There was no firmware update for the K-30, so the 55-300mm PLM will always shoot wide-open with it. On the K-50 it'll work fine even with a busted aperture motor.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-13-2018, 02:11 AM   #81
Banned

How's the quality of this lens?
03-13-2018, 04:00 AM - 1 Like   #82
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sunshiney Quote
How's the quality of this lens?
If you go up to " Lenses " above, you will find reviews of various lenses, both Pentax and third party

here is a direct link to the In Depth Review for this lens

HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm F4-5.8 ED WR Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

and the other " user review " for it , the numerical " rating " listed for a specific lens is derived from the User reviews submitted to the forum I believe

this lens is " 8.61 "

HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm F4-5.8 ED WR Reviews - DA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

some of the best things about this forum is

the willingness of members to help others out, both with knowledge, opinion and other forms of support

and the amount of information stored here

there are physical differences in the material that makes up ( made up ) various Pentax lens series with the " limited " and [ star ] lenses considered generally the best:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/358446-lim...ml#post4169799

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/360193-pen...ml#post4195241

( but not always ) but Pentax means good generally

IMHO

perhaps these might be of interest

http://www.mosphotos.com/PentaxLensCompatibility.html

http://www.mosphotos.com/PentaxLensesExplained.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/articles/photo-articles/evolution-of-pentax-k-mount.html

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-13-2018 at 04:18 AM.
03-13-2018, 05:29 AM   #83
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
There was no firmware update for the K-30, so the 55-300mm PLM will always shoot wide-open with it. On the K-50 it'll work fine even with a busted aperture motor.
Oops! My mistake. Thanks for clarifying that Adam. i misunderstood what you meant.

Aslyfox, don't you think it would be better to explain what people ask for instead of posting a bunch of links?
Physical evidence says a lot more, than just a review or link to what the database says.
03-13-2018, 06:13 AM   #84
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Oops! My mistake. Thanks for clarifying that Adam. i misunderstood what you meant.
someone posted a modified K30 firmware that updates it to a K50, Not sure, but i think it includes support for the PLM.
Of course, it's not Pentax sanctioned, but it sounded like it worked just fine for the people that did it.
03-13-2018, 06:21 AM   #85
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

. . .

Aslyfox, don't you think it would be better to explain what people ask for instead of posting a bunch of links?
Physical evidence says a lot more, than just a review or link to what the database says.
ah,

I personally don't think so but YMMV and there is nothing wrong with that IMHO

I was taught to " teach some one how to fish rather than just handing them a fish "

plus with my limited experience, I would rather provide the method of getting access to information and the opinion of others

than just stating my opinion - yes it's is a good lens or no it is a bad lens

" physical evidence " ???

I agree that the info provided by links may not be 100 % accurate, especially the subjective user reviews

I figure that if they don't want to follow the links they won't

and the info has been complied by others for people looking for knowledge to use

and hopefully the links are somewhat relevant to the question
03-13-2018, 06:52 AM   #86
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I was taught the same thing. So saying, I still believe in showing someone asking a question that actual photos taken by someone using what ever equipment they are asking about rather than send them to a link. I have this same annoyance on another site I moderate on, i.e., computer tech site.
03-13-2018, 06:56 AM   #87
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by link81 Quote
omeone posted a modified K30 firmware that updates it to a K50, Not sure, but i think it includes support for the PLM. Of course, it's not Pentax sanctioned, but it sounded like it worked just fine for the people that did it.
I just finished reading all nine pages of that firmware update, and also asked a question about could it be used on a broken aperture block failed camera.
03-13-2018, 08:53 AM   #88
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I was taught the same thing. So saying, I still believe in showing someone asking a question that actual photos taken by someone using what ever equipment they are asking about rather than send them to a link. I have this same annoyance on another site I moderate on, i.e., computer tech site.
" different strokes for different folks "

" no harm, no foul " IMHO

I didn't even think of posting photos

I guess I could have posted some of my older ones or linked directly to the sample photos in the in depth review

or posted a link to the thread regarding 300mm photos which has some of the zoom photos in it I think
03-13-2018, 08:59 AM   #89
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
I didn't even think of posting photos
On a photography forum? LOL Just kidding!
03-13-2018, 09:16 AM   #90
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

On a photography forum? LOL Just kidding!
oops

what can I say

1 I am easily confused

2 I can be quite dense

3 this is a photography forum, well I learn something new every day

4 I didn't want to just be part of the crowd, I wanted to be different, any one can post photos

5 something to think about next time