Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
MeFOTO 55mm and 58mm CPL filters for $8 and $9 shipped from Adorama!
Posted By: seventysixersfan, 03-17-2018, 05:50 PM

Special prices only available through these direct links, free shipping and sales tax charged only in NJ and NY. I bought both! I needed a CPL for my DA 20-40mm (55mm filter) and my DA 55-300mm (58mm filter). I was going to just get step down (or is it up?) rings for my existing 62mm CPL filter that I use on my DA 18-135 but at these prices, I just couldn't pass it up.

MeFOTO 55mm Wild Blue Yonder circular polarizer filter - $7.95
MeFOTO 55mm Wild Blue Yonder Circular Polarizer Filter - Green Filter Ring MCP55G

MeFOTO 58mm Wild Blue Yonder circular polarizer filter - $8.95
MeFOTO 58mm Wild Blue Yonder Circular Polarizer Filter - Green Filter Ring MCP58G

Though I have no previous experience using MeFOTO products of any kind, Pentax Forum member mgvh wrote a nice review of the MeFOTO Wild Blue Yonder CPL here:
MeFOTO Wild Blue Yonder Circular Polarizing Filter reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

Happy shopping!

Last edited by seventysixersfan; 03-17-2018 at 08:48 PM.
Views: 1,655
03-19-2018, 02:15 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's a pretty crazy discount. Nice find!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-19-2018, 02:48 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
Is it just these two sizes, or are their other sizes with special links as well?

At that price, its definitely worth it to snag a couple!
03-19-2018, 02:50 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Thanks Sixer's fan! My 20-40 needed a CPL since my other Limiteds made it feel left out since it didn't have a CPL that fit.

03-20-2018, 08:42 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxScott Quote
Is it just these two sizes, or are their other sizes with special links as well?
I think it's just these two sizes, and only these models that have a green band around it. (a cosmetic feature, does not affect actual performance). And you need to use these links to get the special low prices. If you search for them on the adorama website, the prices will be higher.

Happy to help! My filters are arriving tomorrow so it was fast shipping!
03-23-2018, 11:22 AM - 1 Like   #6

Photos: Albums
Thanks for this! Just ordered 2x 58mm (one for my kit and one for my husbands) as well as a 55mm for my mom in laws MFT kit!
03-23-2018, 12:52 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Received mine, have not used it yet but it appears to be NOS based on the amount of dust on the outer packaging. The plastic case is nice and it rotates with a fair amount of resistance.
Strangely enough, when I looked at my computer monitor and rotated the CPL to its darkest point while looking at this page, I could see the bright points from the astro photo that is my screen background after login. I may have to put the lens on and see if the effect works in camera also.

03-23-2018, 04:28 PM   #8
Pentaxian

My MeFoto CPL came today, and it's a little disturbing that I can't tell if it's multicoated. Normally multicoated optics look... well at least coated. This looks like my uncoated Tiffen filters (nothing wrong with the Tiffen filters at all, I just have the uncoated models, so I expect them to be uncoated.)

Can anybody else see any coating on their filters???

I have compared the CPL to a MeFoto Karma UV Protector (red ring) and that filter is decidedly coated, with bright green reflections of point white light sources. So I'm thinking if the CPL is multicoated at all, it's 5 layers of clear coating that isn't necessarily anti-reflection coating, although when I read multi-coating, I assume(?) multi anti-reflection coatings.

On the positive side the MeFoto CPL is very bright, and visibly passes more light than say a Hoya Pro Digital.

Last edited by tibbitts; 03-23-2018 at 08:38 PM. Reason: update
03-24-2018, 01:29 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
My MeFoto CPL came today, and it's a little disturbing that I can't tell if it's multicoated.
Reading down this page under the description, it says it has 10 layers -5 each side:

MeFOTO 58mm Wild Blue Yonder Circular Polarizer Filter - Blue Filter Ring MCP58B

Copied from the page above:

Multi-Coated Magic 10 layers. With 5 coatings on each side: this filter has more layers than a chocolate cake! Multi-coating allows maximum light transmission while reducing flare and reflections. Stop defeating your lenses with uncoated camera filters!
03-24-2018, 01:51 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
Reading down this page under the description, it says it has 10 layers -5 each side:

MeFOTO 58mm Wild Blue Yonder Circular Polarizer Filter - Blue Filter Ring MCP58B

Copied from the page above:

Multi-Coated Magic 10 layers. With 5 coatings on each side: this filter has more layers than a chocolate cake! Multi-coating allows maximum light transmission while reducing flare and reflections. Stop defeating your lenses with uncoated camera filters!
I know what it SAYS, but if you have a MeFoto (or Hoya or B+W or...any other) filter, that's multicoated, and look at the reflection of a point source of light in it, the reflection has at least one obvious color cast (green, magenta, blue... something that's extremely obvious.) This CPL absolutely has no color reflection, just like my Tiffen uncoated filters (again, I don't mean to bash Tiffen, when I bought their $7 models I knowingly got what I paid for, I could have bought their $70 models and had multicoating.)

Remember MeFoto is apparently getting out of this business so maybe they had supplier issues or whatever. Just because they box says something doesn't necessarily reflect(!) the product inside.

Incidentally totally off-topic but I always thought it was amazing how back in the 60's before multicoating, all the ads in the camera magazines made those old lenses have multi-coating-like reflections...

Back on track, I've written to MeFoto but since they don't make filters any longer, I'm not holding my breath. And I have to say my application here is for my new-to-me macro lens that I don't use all that often (but really like), and given the choice of multicoating or more transmission, the latter would be my choice (and honestly I'm not paying a lot more to get both for this application.) For my three more often-used lenses I have the B+W XS Pros.

Again I'm not saying it's not got 5 layers of coatings on each side, I'm saying that if it does they aren't traditional AR multicoatings like MeFoto itself uses on the red-ring UV filter I also bought at the same time from Adorama and appears to have also been a good value for the money. The difference in the appearance of the coatings between the two MeFoto filters is like night and day.

I did buy a "multicoated" Vivitar polarizer from another ebay source once and it looked like the MeFoto (in the coatings department - not as nice otherwise and not as high a transmission) and it was horrible. It degraded the images severely on my Tamron 70-300 - again like night and day, unfortunately I only realized it after taking some actual pictures (didn't think I'd need to test a filter.. oh well.) I think that even that filter might have been close to okay at 70mm but I'm going to check out my MeFoto filters just because of that experience.

I'm not an expert but if someone is and knows how to definitively tell (nondestructively!) if the filter has AR coatings, please let us know!

Last edited by tibbitts; 03-24-2018 at 01:57 PM.
03-25-2018, 09:17 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I just had a chance to open and take a few quick snapshots with my DA 20-40mm and my DA 55-300 RE PLM with these circular polarizers attached and I'm satisfied with the results, particularly taking into account what I paid for them. I don't have a need to use CPL all that often but for the few times a year when I do, it is nice to have these around. My only complaints at this time are that with the polarizer attached to the DA 20-40, I can't figure a way to get the original hood attached to it, so I'm shooting without it. And on the DA 55-300, I can attach the hood but it's a tight fit and it was tough to remove the hood afterwards, so I'll probably just leave it off the next time because I don't want to cause damage to either the filter or more importantly, to the lens.

I agree that the coating is not obvious upon visual inspection. I have a larger 62mm hoya CPL that is a lot more obvious. I'm not sure if that means that these MeFoto polarizers will be less effective but from my early test results, it does seem to be helping with improving the sky appear bluer in my shots.
03-25-2018, 09:41 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
I just had a chance to open and take a few quick snapshots with my DA 20-40mm and my DA 55-300 RE PLM with these circular polarizers attached and I'm satisfied with the results, particularly taking into account what I paid for them. I don't have a need to use CPL all that often but for the few times a year when I do, it is nice to have these around. My only complaints at this time are that with the polarizer attached to the DA 20-40, I can't figure a way to get the original hood attached to it, so I'm shooting without it. And on the DA 55-300, I can attach the hood but it's a tight fit and it was tough to remove the hood afterwards, so I'll probably just leave it off the next time because I don't want to cause damage to either the filter or more importantly, to the lens.

I agree that the coating is not obvious upon visual inspection. I have a larger 62mm hoya CPL that is a lot more obvious. I'm not sure if that means that these MeFoto polarizers will be less effective but from my early test results, it does seem to be helping with improving the sky appear bluer in my shots.
I don't doubt the polarization effect, I'm just saying the AR coating, if it's there, is completely different than the coating on my MeFoto UV filter, which appears to have a traditional AR multicoating. And for the money the CPL is a good value even for an uncoated polarizer, since it seems to transmit a lot of light and in my very limited tests (50mm only) doesn't degrade sharpness.

Indeed many polarizers are not compatible with some lenses. For example, my 28-55 Canon FD would only physically be able to zoom using a Canon-brand polarizer that was made in either Japan or the USA, not both (can't remember which now, and I don't have it any longer.) 3rd party polarizers I tried didn't work either (the knurled filter ring had to be able to recess into the front of the lens as the lens zoomed.) I did like both copies of the lens I had though, including the one I dropped in a stream, which accounts for me having had two.

I would definitely test the polarizer on the 55-300 at 300 and make sure there is no sharpness degradation, only because of my experience with a Vivitar polarizer on my Tamron 70-300. It did okay at 70mm, or at least the degradation wasn't as visible.

Last edited by tibbitts; 03-25-2018 at 09:49 AM.
04-02-2018, 07:07 PM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

MeFoto wrote back to me:

Our brand manager advised that the MeFoto cpl filters have 2 layers of coating each side of the glass to help improve light transmission.

So it sounds like not multicoating in the AR sense that I'm accustomed to, although they didn't specifically say that. But not 5/10 layers, in any case.

I do give MeFoto credit for writing back, though.