Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Vegas Pro 14 Edit in Humble Bundle ($20 USD)
Posted By: dosdan, 04-17-2018, 03:21 PM

I'm a long-time Vegas Pro user (v6, v7, v8, v12). I have not bothered updating since then, as any new features were not worth the upgrade price, IMHO.

However Humble Bundle, a legit charity source of bundled older software (Humble Bundle - Wikipedia), which previously had a wonderful bundle which offered the complete O'Rielly & Associates Programming and Technology Library in PDF format for $20 USD, has a bundle where you can get Vegas Pro 14 Edit (as well as other Magix stuff) for $20 USD. I purchased it today and registered it. It works well.

The extras & 3rd-Party plugins missing in the Vegas Pro 14 Edit version, which are included in the Vegas Pro 14 full version, are:
  • DVD Architect 7
  • NewBlue VegasPro Complete
  • ProDAD Mercalli 4
While I would have liked to have gotten Mercalli (a stabilisation plugin), Vegas itself is all there. So it's a extremely cheap legit way of either upgrading from an older version of Sony Vegas/Vegas Pro or Sony Movie Studio, or starting out with Vegas as your first full-fledged NLE. Vegas has a good reputation for both ease of learning and for power.

DaVinci Resolve, another NLE, is free now, but from my brief look at it, not quite as user-friendly as Vegas.

Note: you get the Vegas Pro key. You then d/l the trial version of Vegas Pro 14, which you then register using the supplied key. Also inside the install are the other items mentioned above. But without individual keys for each item you won't be able to register them. You can still use them fully-functionally for a trial period before they'll stop working. So it's up to you whether you install them in the first place or don't. If you're new to Vegas, I'd suggest installing just it first, learn it, and only then, when you're confident with it, install the extras to see if you like them.

I'm not interested in the other Magix stuff in the bundle. (If you're not aware of it, Sony sold the Vegas & Movie Studio line of products to Magix.)

This bundle offer ends in 7 days time:

Humble Software REBundle: VEGAS Pro: Discover Creative Freedom (pay what you want and help charity)

Dan.
Views: 1,330
04-17-2018, 06:30 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I couldn't find enough information about it even on their site to think they were worth it. I don't do video and they only talk about cataloging based on GPS coordinates taken from your cell phone! The emphasis I read on cell phones means it isn't serious about its catalog function so it isn't anything I am willing to spend money on, even at the deal the monthly bundle offers. Sorry I missed the O'Reilly package.
04-18-2018, 08:05 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supportaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
SPAMWARE/ ADWARE warning:

Longtime user of V12 here. Bought it to upgrade to a newer version. Installed it. You also have to create a Magix account in order to activate anything.

Upon install of the Music Maker which is part of the main installer for Vegas, one of several apps it installed was called "Connect". This is NOT the Sony connect that pops up when you launch Vegas. It's unrelated adware. Before I even activated anything I started getting ads on my desktop. All I did was reboot my computer after install and ... here come the ads.

Maybe some people are willing to put up with this for the low price. Not me. This will be the last time I ever buy anything on humble bundle. They used to be so awesome. Really awesome. Not any more.

Now it's time to go uninstall the rest and clean up the registry.
04-18-2018, 08:23 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jbondo Quote
Upon install of the Music Maker which is part of the main installer for Vegas, one of several apps it installed was called "Connect".

Didn't install this as I only wanted Vegas.

Dan.

04-18-2018, 08:59 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Glad I saw the few reviews which said it only worked online which is probably how the spam begins.
04-19-2018, 05:14 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

OMG. I bought it but will never install it.
04-19-2018, 05:14 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

OMG. I bought it but will never install it.

04-26-2018, 08:36 PM   #8
mee
Veteran Member

Too many reviews saying the software is unstable (as well as the updated version not included). way way too many reviews of crashing... so if you missed this don't fret.

For the low low price of free you could get even more powerful software called Davinci Resolve ( DaVinci Resolve 15 | Blackmagic Design ) which is still rather easy to use for basic edits. I've been using it for a couple weeks now on editing game clips, just getting a feel for it, and my limited experience in Adobe Premiere Elements has migrated over to Resolve in no time to do fade in/outs and slow motion segments in my videos.. basic stuff. Then render outs formatting for Youtube. Of course one can go much further with the software.. has pro-level editing, grading, effects, titler, and audio tools built in. Free.