Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Samsung EVO Select, 128GB micro SD card with full sized adaptor - $36.99
Posted By: shardulm, 06-14-2018, 11:41 AM

On Amazon
amazon.com: Samsung 128GB 100MB/s (U3) MicroSD EVO Select Memory Card with Adapter (MB-ME128GA/AM): Computers & Accessories?tag=pentaxforums-20&

Fast card at UHS-I/ U3 speeds. Having read in one other thread these are "SELECT" series is same as "PLUS" series but exclusive for Amazon.

I might snag a couple.
Views: 632
06-14-2018, 12:10 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Thanks for the post. Not crazy about the micro sd cards. Hate using adapters, just something else that can fail.

Have you been using them? If so what's your experience?
06-14-2018, 12:55 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by steve_k Quote
Thanks for the post. Not crazy about the micro sd cards. Hate using adapters, just something else that can fail.

The only issue with adapters is that sometimes the microSD card can fall out of it. Otherwise,t hey work just fine.
The microSD card can also be used in many smartphones if you no longer use it in your camera, so it is more flexible.
06-14-2018, 12:55 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Micro cards work great for phones and other things that provide native support, but there have been enough help requests on this site regarding adapted micro cards that I advise avoiding them when an adapter would be required.

Steve

06-14-2018, 01:45 PM   #5
Journeyman Cat Wrangler
Loyal Site Supporter

I have had one issue with the micro card over the past few years, and that was a bad adapter, not the micro card. I just never remove them from the SD adapter to prevent loose fit from wear
06-14-2018, 02:11 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

When used with the adapter, the speeds are not as fast. You will see speed improvements in devices such as phones that accept the U3 card that has the extra connection contacts.
06-14-2018, 03:03 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by manishved Quote
When used with the adapter, the speeds are not as fast. You will see speed improvements in devices such as phones that accept the U3 card that has the extra connection contacts.
This is not correct. U3 does not have extra contacts.
UHS-II is the type of cards that have extra contacts.

No smartphones that I am aware support UHS-II . Only some high-end devices support UHS-II . Even the K-1 II does not.
The Panasonic GH5 / GH5s supports UHS-II for example.
I use UHS-II cards in my Pentax cameras, but they don't benefit from the faster write speed.
I do benefit from the faster read speed with a UHS-II reader in my PC, when transferring the pictures.
06-14-2018, 03:45 PM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by steve_k Quote

Well these adapters are mostly contact extensions that only extend the micro SD card connectors out to a regular sized card. They will fail if you wiggle and wrench them without a card in it. From failure perspective there is mostly no electronics in them.
I have about a dozen of micro SD cards. Neither the adapter has failed nor the SD card. As long as its is a decent brand n speed they will be fine.
The physical size is also more future friendly since the newer devices are already shrinking in size every day and will prefer micro SD cards over standard sizes.

---------- Post added 06-14-18 at 06:48 PM ----------

That may very well be incorrect. The adapters are just contact extensions and will not contribute to speed.

06-14-2018, 05:11 PM - 1 Like   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

For me, the micro form factor is just too fragile unless the card will sit in a single device and almost never physically move. I like the durability of sandisk's extreme cards for frequent use.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-14-2018, 05:40 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by shardulm Quote
That may very well be incorrect. The adapters are just contact extensions and will not contribute to speed.
All the adapters I have seen are missing the extra pins in the second row. These are only present on the high-speed cards. Please scroll down to UHS-II section on this Wiki

(UHS-II

SD card reader
Specified in version 4.0, further raises the data transfer rate to a theoretical maximum of 156 MB/s (full duplex) or 312 MB/s (half duplex) using an additional row of pins[31][32] (a total of 17 pins for full-size and 16 pins for micro-size cards).[27])
06-14-2018, 06:30 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

All the adapters I have seen are missing the extra pins in the second row. These are only present on the high-speed cards. Please scroll down to UHS-II section on this Wiki

(UHS-II

SD card reader
Specified in version 4.0, further raises the data transfer rate to a theoretical maximum of 156 MB/s (full duplex) or 312 MB/s (half duplex) using an additional row of pins[31][32] (a total of 17 pins for full-size and 16 pins for micro-size cards).[27])
Indeed, but those are UHS-II cards, not U3 cards. There are not many microSD cards that are UHS-II to begin with.
The few that do exist should come with the proper microSD to SD UHS-II adapter with two rows of pins.

hama.com | 00124146 Hama Adapter, microSD UHS II to SD UHS II, black
06-14-2018, 08:34 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by madbrain Quote
Indeed, but those are UHS-II cards, not U3 cards. There are not many microSD cards that are UHS-II to begin with.
The few that do exist should come with the proper microSD to SD UHS-II adapter with two rows of pins.

hama.com | 00124146 Hama Adapter, microSD UHS II to SD UHS II, black
Based on a couple of SanDisk micro SDs I had bought, they did not come with this adapter with the extra pins - even though the cards themselves had the second row of pins.
06-14-2018, 10:27 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Based on a couple of SanDisk micro SDs I had bought, they did not come with this adapter with the extra pins - even though the cards themselves had the second row of pins.
Interesting fail by SanDisk, then. Still wondering what devices take microSD UHS-II natively.
06-15-2018, 07:54 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster

(UHS-II

SD card reader
So I would prefer a card that is usually packaged with an adapter. That way it may be compatible with the SD card being sold. But I don't have a UHS-II card so I don't know how and if that contact matters. And this listing is for a UHS-I card.
06-15-2018, 03:20 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by shardulm Quote
So I would prefer a card that is usually packaged with an adapter. That way it may be compatible with the SD card being sold. But I don't have a UHS-II card so I don't know how and if that contact matters. And this listing is for a UHS-I card.
For UHS-I cards, you don't need the extra contacts.

All microSD adapters will work with all SD cards. But if you put a UHS-II microSD card inside of an adapter with a single row of contacts, you will only get UHS-I speed. That is the only case where the wrong adapter can cause a slowdown. But even then, it will only cause a slowdown if your host device supports UHS-II . No Pentax cameras do, at this time. Some computer readers do, but usually aftermarket readers, not the ones that come with the machine.