Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

D FA* 70-200mm - $1499!
Posted By: Adam, 06-25-2018, 07:37 PM

The D FA* 70-200mm F2.8 has dipped back down tothe lowest US price ever! Quite a good deal on one of Pentax's sharpest zooms of all time

Pentax HD PENTAX D FA* 70-200mm f/2.8 ED DC AW Lens

In-depth review:
HD Pentax-D FA* 70-200mm F2.8 ED DC AW Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews
Views: 4,373
07-06-2018, 08:03 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
If the Canadian dollar was stronger, maybe...
Don's Photo have it on their website at $300 off ($2099 CDN), so I would presume other Canadian retailers have similar pricing. After figuring in 3% for currency exchange, it's as good of a deal as the American one.

07-12-2018, 10:08 AM   #17
Forum Member

B&H seems to oscillate quite a bit on this one... earlier this week it was back up to $1,596 USD, now back down to $1,499... may even have dipped back to $1,440 briefly.

Anyone have any experience shipping to a US address through B&H but using a Canadian billing address, and then just bringing it back to Canada?
07-12-2018, 11:39 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaPrime Quote
Anyone have any experience shipping to a US address through B&H but using a Canadian billing address, and then just bringing it back to Canada?
I've done it with Eddie Bauer, no reason why it shouldn't work with B&H, but what do you hope to gain? Eddie Bauer uses a third party to ship online orders to Canada that charges ridiculous fees to pay GST and do customs brokerage, so although Arizona sales tax is more than GST, I still saved $70 Canadian on three pairs of pants by having my order shipped to my in-laws. But B&H will pay GST for you and get your order through customs for a very reasonable fee, so depending on where in the U.S. you get your order shipped to, you might not save any money. And you also have to bring back your now-used goods from B&H yourself, if you have it shipped to Canada later, you will be charged GST (and a handling charge for paying the GST) if the value is more than $40 (even if it is a gift).
07-12-2018, 03:00 PM   #19
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
I've done it with Eddie Bauer, no reason why it shouldn't work with B&H, but what do you hope to gain? Eddie Bauer uses a third party to ship online orders to Canada that charges ridiculous fees to pay GST and do customs brokerage, so although Arizona sales tax is more than GST, I still saved $70 Canadian on three pairs of pants by having my order shipped to my in-laws. But B&H will pay GST for you and get your order through customs for a very reasonable fee, so depending on where in the U.S. you get your order shipped to, you might not save any money. And you also have to bring back your now-used goods from B&H yourself, if you have it shipped to Canada later, you will be charged GST (and a handling charge for paying the GST) if the value is more than $40 (even if it is a gift).
In my case I happen to be going to the US and could simply receive the shipment and bring it back myself. But I guess that wouldn't really help since I would still need to declare it to customs when I come back to Canada. I'm just confused by how it works if I arrange a shipment within the US, pay no tax at time of purchase, and B&H collects no GST, would I only pay it if I declare at the border? What if I am buying used goods e.g. a used lens?

07-12-2018, 04:17 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaPrime Quote
if I arrange a shipment within the US, pay no tax at time of purchase, and B&H collects no GST, would I only pay it if I declare at the border?
If you declare those goods when you return to Canada and the value is less than your personal exemption, you don't have to pay GST. It doesn't matter if the goods are new or used, it only matters if the actual total value (not what your receipt says) of all declared items is less than your personal exemption. If you entered the U.S. with a bag full of your own used camera equipment and you came back with an extra used lens and you forgot to declare it, you probably won't get asked to prove that you owned all of your equipment before you left Canada, but you are breaking the law.

Since B&H doesn't have a physical presence outside of NYC, they probably aren't collecting local sales tax outside of New York State, but I don't know that for sure and in the near future, B&H will have to collect sales tax on all sales within the U.S. If you order something from B&H to be shipped to Canada, they give you the option of having them remit GST or you can pay the shipping company (Canada Post or FedEx) yourself when you receive the order. On my last B&H order, the fee for remitting GST and customs brokerage was less than $20 Canadian, which is a real bargain.