Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

If you've got to have it all
Posted By: jhaji, 07-03-2018, 10:48 AM

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

... here's a good place to get started (granted it's a leap of faith)

A bunch of stuff.
Views: 2,843
07-03-2018, 04:21 PM   #16
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gutta Perka Quote
Bless him - he has managed to cure his LBA.

Let him set an example for all of us not yet cured!
LOL Yeah, seems a little extreme if all he's looking to do is buy a K-1II and a D-FA 24-70. Must be after the new 50mm too

07-03-2018, 04:33 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Now I don't feel so guilty about my collection.

Chris
07-03-2018, 08:45 PM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
imagine the time it takes to check each lens and camera weekly...
07-03-2018, 08:59 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aaacb Quote
imagine the time it takes to check each lens and camera weekly...
The seller is probably retired and enjoys the "project" work each week!

Phil.

---------- Post added 03-07-18 at 21:06 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
I’m pretty sure that guy (the seller) is the only one who wants that specific lot of stuff. 7 billion people in the world and I’m guessing not one wants this huge pile.
KEH has most likely already called him and have sent a buyer with a truck, to offer 1/3 the selling price for the entire lot!

Phil

07-03-2018, 11:08 PM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I'm kind of tempted to ask if he has any Soviet lenses, but it seems like he wants to sell the whole kit together, and I understand that... but, I dunno... maybe it's worth me contacting him. I could do a job-lot of Soviet glass at the right money
I didn't see any Soviet/Russian stuff, though there are some DDR including a decent selection of Exakta.

Steve
07-04-2018, 03:14 AM   #21
Veteran Member

hilarious - this guy deserves a medal
07-04-2018, 06:32 AM - 1 Like   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
LOL Yeah, seems a little extreme if all he's looking to do is buy a K-1II and a D-FA 24-70. Must be after the new 50mm too
Also - think of his POOR wife. OK - no time for kids there....

07-04-2018, 07:02 AM - 3 Likes   #23
Veteran Member

This poor fellow needs a helping hand. Obviously that collection was put together over many years. Trying to sell it as one lump
bundle will be extremely difficult and doubtful ebay is the best venue for such a sale. Who in their right mind would purchase such
a collection with the information provided? Any serious buyer, (As gofour3 suggests), would require a visual inspection before
purchase.

He would be much better served parting out the really good stuff and selling those items at the premium they command, then perhaps
bundling the common and/or unwanted gear into more manageable parcels. Looking at his auction history it does appear he was selling
gear for a time, but if this auction is any indication one can guess those earlier auctions were also likely vague, poorly documented and
poorly photographed. Else, he should be on the phone with KEH, et al, to sell as one lot.

If I were local to him, I would consider offering assistance with parting out the collection to sell, in exchange for either a percentage of the
sale or gear in trade.
07-05-2018, 04:22 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

He's got lots more room for his camera collection - since his wife left him.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 07-08-2018 at 09:43 AM.
07-06-2018, 05:04 AM   #25

Do not...

QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
This poor fellow needs a helping hand. Obviously that collection was put together over many years. Trying to sell it as one lump
bundle will be extremely difficult and doubtful ebay is the best venue for such a sale. Who in their right mind would purchase such
a collection with the information provided? Any serious buyer, (As gofour3 suggests), would require a visual inspection before
purchase.

He would be much better served parting out the really good stuff and selling those items at the premium they command, then perhaps
bundling the common and/or unwanted gear into more manageable parcels. Looking at his auction history it does appear he was selling
gear for a time, but if this auction is any indication one can guess those earlier auctions were also likely vague, poorly documented and
poorly photographed. Else, he should be on the phone with KEH, et al, to sell as one lot.

If I were local to him, I would consider offering assistance with parting out the collection to sell, in exchange for either a percentage of the
sale or gear in trade.
Do not be hard on him he is a human like we are - interested in photo, and he managed to get more gear than most of us!
However - Löwe Pro - might have a problem there - and does someone seen a photo made by him - think he was picky there.
Must have some kind of an assisting photo sommelier accompanying him suggesting and telling him all sorts of alternatives.

Henri Cartier-Bresson - "the one lens only man" - could also give him an advice!
I think he missed that man, his books and photos!
Could have saved him a lot of time.

As I have not seen one photo of that multi-lens man - he might prove that Henri C-B was totally wrong in his approach.

Ranting!!! Sorry!
Now to my Instamatic things!

Last edited by Gutta Perka; 07-06-2018 at 05:09 AM.
07-06-2018, 05:49 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Wow, so many of the cameras have flashes attached. That's a lot of flashes.

I doubt anyone local will want all that. The ad mentions a $4k shipping estimate. That's not unreasonable for a $65k sale.

Why did 1 person collect so much ordinary stuff? Did they own a camera shop, or have they been buying a few pieces at a time on craigslist?
07-06-2018, 06:00 AM - 1 Like   #27
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gutta Perka Quote
Henri Cartier-Bresson - "the one lens only man" - could also give him an advice!
I think he missed that man, his books and photos!
Could have saved him a lot of time.

As I have not seen one photo of that multi-lens man - he might prove that Henri C-B was totally wrong in his approach.
I suspect he was a collector more than a photographer, and derived as much enjoyment from collecting as Henri did from his art.

I can relate to that, to some extent...

I go through periods of several weeks - months even - where I spend far more time researching, servicing and testing my own vintage lenses than I spend on photography itself. And some of the lenses I own will rarely - if ever - be used to take anything more than test shots... rather, they're important to me for their relevance in my humble collection.

I think I've mentioned before that there's a luthier I know who makes the most wonderful acoustic guitars, with incredible tone and projection, and achingly beautiful finishes. He can barely play more than a few chords, and has little in the way of a musical ear. He hasn't much interest in playing. His passion is in making, repairing and restoring instruments.

Each to his own
07-06-2018, 06:45 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Wow, so many of the cameras have flashes attached. That's a lot of flashes.
I thought that odd as well. Surely a couple dozen flashes would suffice to provide a working flash for all the bodies represented.
Clearly a compulsion to 'complete' each camera for the display.

Many winders and grips there too. It does make me wonder whether there are a great many rare accessories in the collection.

Has anyone managed to acquire a list of all the gear? I did contact the seller to inquire, but communication has been as obtuse
as his listing. Apparently his collection database is in an old version of Word but he can't figure out how to save the database as a
file to share with others. His last message, near as I can tell, says he has begun printing the entire list (54 pages) to mail? to anyone
who covers postage? ("I decided to just make copies of my inventory list(54 Pages), and for those who wants them,they need for for
shipping and way they want, it's only fair.")
07-06-2018, 06:53 AM - 1 Like   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Teach him to fax?
07-06-2018, 09:19 PM   #30
Pentaxian

An equipment list from any version of Word should still be readable today. The seller was able to use eBay so should know enough to email.

Maybe the whole ad is an elaborate scam to trick people to pay for a 54 page list. Chain letters are making a comeback.