Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
This is why I hate ebay... FA* 80-200 "Good" condition
Posted By: UncleVanya, 07-13-2018, 02:19 PM

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Pentax SMC PENTAX-FA* 80-200mm f/2.8 IF & ED Auto Focus Lens | eBay

From the description:

QuoteQuote:
CONDITION
Appearance condition : Good!! 8/10
Optical Condition : There are many fungus in the lens.
Mechanical Function : No problem
Shutter : No problem
Aperture : Clean
Focusing : No problem
The ad of course uses the "good" part not the fungus part to draw you in...

No affiliation with this sale. Just wanted to laugh with others about the "Optimistic ways" of some sellers.
Views: 3,508
07-13-2018, 02:58 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Apart from that, Mrs Lincoln, what did you think of the play?
At least they disclosed it...
07-13-2018, 03:00 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
Ouff. I thought it'd be a few fine strands, but that's half a chanterelle on the front lens!
07-13-2018, 03:04 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Im Surprised there isn't 19 "Watchers" all over it…..lol.

07-13-2018, 03:06 PM - 4 Likes   #5

I have an exclusive sample photo:

07-13-2018, 03:11 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by antipattern Quote
Ouff. I thought it'd be a few fine strands, but that's half a chanterelle on the front lens!
Doubles as a delightful snowflake patterned paperweight. Only $41 a month for 12 months...
07-13-2018, 03:19 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Well, the 'appearance condition' is way more important than the 'optical condition', right?

07-13-2018, 03:46 PM   #8

This isn't the worst, there are sellers won't even disclose the fungus or scratches on the lenses.
I have been using KEH for a long time, so far so good.
07-13-2018, 05:13 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder!! Thankfully the "optical condition" was actually mentioned - a lot of the time the seller doesn't bother!!
07-13-2018, 05:48 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eyrr Quote
Apart from that, Mrs Lincoln, what did you think of the play?
At least they disclosed it...
I don't know if they'd get any bidders if they said nothing about condition.
If they say anything about condition, but didn't mention fungus, most likely they would lose a dispute mediation, and that would cost even more.
07-17-2018, 09:16 AM   #11
Forum Member

To be fair, a lot of sellers separate "appearance"/cosmetic condition (i.e. barrel) from the optics. The seller is Japanese and probably chose the wrong way to use the word appearance.
07-17-2018, 09:37 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The guy disclosed the fungus. He seems to think it good otherwise. I would not buy the lens but somebody who wants to try their hand at cleaning might get it. Ebay is what it is. Most of the sellers I have dealt with are very honest. Some sellers are pretty clearly up to something. This seller really seems to be trying to fit into the honest category. Caveat emptor is not a cynical warning it is just good advice even when dealing with brick and mortar stores.
07-17-2018, 09:41 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
The guy disclosed the fungus. He seems to think it good otherwise. I would not buy the lens but somebody who wants to try their hand at cleaning might get it. Ebay is what it is. Most of the sellers I have dealt with are very honest. Some sellers are pretty clearly up to something. This seller really seems to be trying to fit in the honest category. Caveat emptor is not a cynical warning it is just good advice even when dealing with brick and mortar stores.
My angst over this has more to do with some other sellers that are less honest and place the disclaimers in smaller fonts and make it hard to notice. The fact that this is a good example if disclosure is almost sad. It appears honest but even on appearance "good" is a stretch in my opinion.
07-17-2018, 09:46 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
My angst over this has more to do with some other sellers that are less honest and place the disclaimers in smaller fonts and make it hard to notice. The fact that this is a good example if disclosure is almost sad. It appears honest but even on appearance "good" is a stretch in my opinion.
Yes that is a problem but I think it has become a general issue throughout society more than just Ebay which I think is as safe for the careful shopper as anywhere else. I have not tried to sell anything there for years. That is in part because of the frequent complaint of sellers that Ebay tends to take the side of buyers even when the complaint seems to be a sham. i sold a rare book on Amazon a few years ago. It was absolutely pristine. He claimed I had misrepresented the condition and that there was a thumb print on a page. I knew he had to have put it there but I told him to return it. He never did. Scams go in both directions.
07-17-2018, 09:48 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Yes that is a problem but I think it has become a general issue throughout society more than just Ebay which I think is as safe for the careful shopper as anywhere else. I have not tried to sell anything there for years. That is in part because of the frequent complaint of sellers that Ebay tends to take the side of buyers even when the complaint seems to be a sham. i sold a rare book on Amazon a few years ago. It was absolutely pristine. He claimed I had misrepresented the condition and that there was a thumb print on a page. I knew he had to have put it there but I told him to return it. He never did. Scams go in both directions.
Agreed. I have had the experience of a buyer trying to duck out. I had good documentation and won my case but it was very annoying and painfully costly from a time perspective.