Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Prime Day Thread: post any photography prime day deals!
Posted By: catwalk, 07-16-2018, 12:47 PM

So far I haven't seen anything pentax specific but they have a good deal on SD cards. Now is the time to stock up!

amazon.com: Sandisk Ultra 64GB Micro SDXC UHS-I Card with Adapter -* 100MB/s U1 A1 - SDSQUAR-064G-GN6MA: Computers & Accessories?tag=pentaxforums-20&
Views: 3,640
07-16-2018, 05:21 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by catwalk Quote
So far I haven't seen anything pentax specific but they have a good deal on SD cards. Now is the time to stock up!

amazon.com: Sandisk Ultra 64GB Micro SDXC UHS-I Card with Adapter - 100MB/s U1 A1 - SDSQUAR-064G-GN6MA: Computers & Accessories?tag=pentaxforums-20&
I have avoided getting Micro SD cards for my cameras. I am not sure why since they should perform the same as the larger cousins. Has anyone used Micro in their cameras? Really considering getting two 128's but hesitant.

07-16-2018, 05:51 PM   #17

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SirTomster Quote
I have avoided getting Micro SD cards for my cameras. I am not sure why since they should perform the same as the larger cousins.
In terms of performance, all that matters is the class of the card (there are slight differences between brands but usually not too noticeable). If you have a MicroSD and regular SD of the same class/brand, then they should have the exact same performance.

I definitely use MicroSD cards in my cameras. If you buy a class 10 card then you get about 10MB/s write speeds. If you don't get class 10 speeds then you probably have a counterfeit (which are surprisingly common). Unless you are shooting 4k video or need your burst buffer to clear really fast, then you probably don't need to worry about getting high end SD cards.

Speed Class - SD Association

---------- Post added 07-16-18 at 06:20 PM ----------

I should elaborate that class 10 indicates the minimum guaranteed write speed. This number is important if you need burst buffer clearing speed or do video recording. Class 10 can handle 1080p video recording, if you do 4k then you need a higher class card. You also need to consider if your camera can even take advantage of higher write speeds, because the processor may only handle up to a certain speed.

Typically when you buy a card they also indicate "transfer speed", which is a vague way of saying the maximum read speed that the card can handle. I've never actually seen these speeds in the wild because your computer has limited bandwidth for file transfers. My class 10 card transfers to my computer at 35MB/s even though it is rated at 100MB/s (over usb 3.0 to 5200rpm HDD). The speed of your hard drive, USB port, card reader, and processor can all effect how fast the transfer is.

You probably fall into 3 categories:
Don't use burst mode or video: class 10 is plenty fast for you
Sports/Action/Wildlife (so you use burst mode a lot): consider a faster card if buffer clearing bothers you, but not required

4k video: class 10 won't cut it so you need a faster card
07-16-2018, 06:31 PM - 1 Like   #18
Veteran Member

In Canada 55-300 PLM for $439 CDN with only one tax thrue Diamond Photos for $461 CDN or $360 US. I just got one
07-16-2018, 07:12 PM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I like these headphones a bit better + bluetooth. $99... usually 199.99. If I didn't already have Sony XB950-N1s, these would be mine.

amazon.com: Sennheiser HD 4.50 SE Wireless Noise Cancelling Headphones - Black (HD 4.50 Special Edition): Electronics?tag=pentaxforums-20&

07-16-2018, 07:35 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SirTomster Quote
I have avoided getting Micro SD cards for my cameras. I am not sure why since they should perform the same as the larger cousins. Has anyone used Micro in their cameras? Really considering getting two 128's but hesitant.
Micro with adapters work fine Sir Tomster. Just get one with high read and write speeds. I had the slower of my two cards in the camera on my eagle series and it slowed down compared to my better one. (Shooting KP.)
I wish my trip hadn't destroyed my budget for the month. (you have to pay United for space to put your feet nowadays.)
07-16-2018, 08:02 PM   #21
mee
Veteran Member

On the whole, as with every other Prime day, they seem to be peddling a lot of junk that no one was buying. But even Black Friday is getting like that.. throughout the year their seem to be better sale prices on certain items.

If you find a deal for something you were going to buy anyways then great, but I wouldn't feel too motivated to try to find something just because Amazon is marketing a sale day. They are counting on that to unload their warehouses with stuff that is slow to sell...
07-16-2018, 08:20 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
On the whole, as with every other Prime day, they seem to be peddling a lot of junk that no one was buying. But even Black Friday is getting like that.. throughout the year their seem to be better sale prices on certain items.

If you find a deal for something you were going to buy anyways then great, but I wouldn't feel too motivated to try to find something just because Amazon is marketing a sale day. They are counting on that to unload their warehouses with stuff that is slow to sell...
I think there was better deals a few days ago on some key items like the KP for $699 ? Im not seeing much to interest me except for small items like swabs and SD cards..

07-17-2018, 03:05 PM - 2 Likes   #23

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
On the whole, as with every other Prime day, they seem to be peddling a lot of junk that no one was buying.
That's true, and this prime day seems much worst than last year (feels like a lot less stuff on sale to me). I'm really glad that I bought my K-3ii weeks ago instead of waiting for prime day, I would have been sorely disappointed. At least prime day causes other retailers like Ebay to compete. The Ebay coupon works on whatever you want!

QuoteOriginally posted by Ronald Oakes Quote
I think there was better deals a few days ago on some key items like the KP for $699
Yes, both the KP and K-3ii were much cheaper before prime day. Luckily I used Amazon price tracker, Amazon price history charts, price watches, and price drop alerts. | camelcamelcamel.com and saw that $700 for the K-3ii was about as good as it gets. I like using that website to make sure the prime day offers are actually "deals".
07-17-2018, 04:40 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I picked up a couple of those 64gb Scandisc micro SD cards. I have never used them in my camera but for $14 a piece how can you go wrong.