Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread

FA* 250-600 $6000 in seemingly good condition
Posted By: Clinton, 07-22-2018, 10:45 AM

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Folks, I'm seriously holding myself back from hitting the buy it now button. If I didn't already own one, I would today. If you've been in the market, I believe now is the time.

[Serviced] SMC PENTAX-FA* 250-600mm F5.6 IF&ED PZ AF Lens w/Case Filters #0896 | eBay

Views: 1,904
07-22-2018, 08:50 PM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I suspect that the foam decomposed around the lens, and damaged the finish. Also, you're certainly going to have to find a 49mm filter to replace the one with cleaning marks. As to the lens itself. Do you care if the outside isn't pristine?

I dunno, I bought a FA* 600 with much worse finish, clearly from much use, but the glass is great.

07-22-2018, 09:04 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I agree with what you say about the finish on the outside, I was the guy that bought Ron's FA*600/F4, and yes, there are scratches and scuffs on the paintwork, but, the glass is in excellent condition , and all works perfectly.

For $6k usd, it does look like a good buy, and it's a pretty easy fix to get some new foam cut to put back in the trunk.

I'm surprized that the FA*600/f4 at agfacamera on fleabay hasn't sold yet, only $7120.00usd.
07-23-2018, 12:48 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
I want you
I need you
But there ain't no way
I'm ever gonna love you
Now don't be sad
'Cause two out of three ain't bad

(who knew Meat Loaf was a Pentaxian?)
And he also observed that "Objectives in an eBay Listing may be More Experienced than they Appear"...

or something like that
07-23-2018, 05:10 AM - 1 Like   #19
Loyal Site Supportaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
it has been serviced, but doesn't state the specifics of what it was serviced for - 'We performed disassembly cleaning, focus adjustment, zoom function adjustment at a specialty shop' Given the external physical appearance, I'm wary of possible element etching if the reason it was serviced might have been due to fungus.

07-23-2018, 05:53 AM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Clinton Quote
@dadipentak
Wait---wha? Oh, yeah, wow!

Thanks for the heads-up but no: my magic bird tree is down and my right shoulder is seriously busted so I'm really out of that game.
In fact, I just invested in a Micro 4/3 system and I'm getting ready to sell my F*600/4

The problem with buying/selling these big old vintage lenses is that 'minty' copies extremely rare. There are those (like my 600/4) which are a bit beat up but totally functional and optically superb. The thing is--even if there's a return option--shipping is really expensive.
07-23-2018, 05:57 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Thanks for the heads-up but no: my magic bird tree is down and my right shoulder is seriously busted so I'm really out of that game.
I went in to see my doctor complaining of shoulder pain. Turns out I have two torn rotator cuffs, both inoperable. I'm still using 5 pound weights trying to build up strength. I used to do the same exercise with 15 pound weights. Life sucks.
07-23-2018, 08:50 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I went in to see my doctor complaining of shoulder pain. Turns out I have two torn rotator cuffs, both inoperable. I'm still using 5 pound weights trying to build up strength. I used to do the same exercise with 15 pound weights. Life sucks.
It is called getting older and a life well lived Norm! I often agree with your sentiment though when the ankles hurt worse than usual.

07-23-2018, 03:23 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Looks like oxidative damage on the outside. hhmmmmm
07-26-2018, 06:39 AM - 1 Like   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I guess the exterior wouldn't matter to me. I'm going to take my lenses into harsh conditions, and not care if the exterior gets scratched. I'm not running an optical museum; I want to use my gear.
07-26-2018, 02:29 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Clinton Quote
I guess the exterior wouldn't matter to me. I'm going to take my lenses into harsh conditions, and not care if the exterior gets scratched. I'm not running an optical museum; I want to use my gear.
That's my approach, too.