Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
Ebay: Voigtlander APO Lanthar 90mm f/3.5 SL II for pentax K-mount "Excellent++" $565
Posted By: les3547, 07-25-2018, 09:36 AM

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

The rare SLII version of the Voigtlander 90mm on Ebay for a good price.

I've owned both the SLI and SLII version of this lens, and I've also owned the Voigtlander 125 and 180, of which there are only SLI versions. A lot of people gush over the 125 and 180, but don't realize the 90mm is almost identical in terms of IQ. The 125 is of course a dedicated macro, so gets close up and has ultra-sharpness across a flat field, but the 180 and the 90mm are ridiculously sharp too, and the 90mm gets very close as well. Besides super sharpness they all shared rich color rendering, contrast and micro contrast . . . with no differences that I could discern.

I sold all my SLI version Voigtlanders because of their stiff focusing rings. For manual focus, especially telephotos, I personally need the focus ring to glide. So when I discovered the SL II version of the 90 has very smooth and easy focusing, it became a permanent member of my small lens kit. It also comes with a little close up lens for those of us who don't need a dedicated macro lens. Other cool things about the 90 SLII is how lightweight and small it is, and the screw-on hood that allows for attaching the close up lens can be left on full time as a lens hood. All in all it is one of the finest lenses I've ever used.

Last edited by les3547; 07-25-2018 at 09:44 AM.
Views: 1,213
07-28-2018, 05:18 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Tempted . . . but item is in Japan, and I am reluctant to purchase from overseas (plus extra import fees).

ADDED: I clicked back to the listing after I posted and noticed the phrase, "The listing you’re looking for is no longer available. Check out this similar item we found for you." I then clicked on the word "listing" and eBay went back to the original listing with this message: "This listing has ended. The seller has relisted this item or one like this."

Last edited by EssJayEff; 07-28-2018 at 05:25 AM. Reason: Added more information
07-28-2018, 07:23 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by EssJayEff Quote
Tempted . . . but item is in Japan, and I am reluctant to purchase from overseas (plus extra import fees).

ADDED: I clicked back to the listing after I posted and noticed the phrase, "The listing you’re looking for is no longer available. Check out this similar item we found for you." I then clicked on the word "listing" and eBay went back to the original listing with this message: "This listing has ended. The seller has relisted this item or one like this."
I've never been hit with import fees and I've bought approx. 12 lenses from there. I find the Japanese dealers to be very honorable, fast shippers, and offer generous easy returns (I've returned a couple of lenses with no problems). The Post office has made foreign return shipping really easy by just requiring a simple label instead of custom papers etc. they used to require. I just bought a Zeiss lens from Matsuiya Store and it is only going to take 4 days to get here. If you look at their ratings it's not unusual to see a 100% rating with thousands of sales, like Matsuiya who has over 20,000 sales and a 100% rating.
07-28-2018, 09:15 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by les3547 Quote
I've never been hit with import fees and I've bought approx. 12 lenses from there. I find the Japanese dealers to be very honorable, fast shippers, and offer generous easy returns (I've returned a couple of lenses with no problems). The Post office has made foreign return shipping really easy by just requiring a simple label instead of custom papers etc. they used to require. I just bought a Zeiss lens from Matsuiya Store and it is only going to take 4 days to get here. If you look at their ratings it's not unusual to see a 100% rating with thousands of sales, like Matsuiya who has over 20,000 sales and a 100% rating.
Thanks, Les, for sharing your experience! I usually limit my eBay searches to U.S. Good to know.

07-28-2018, 12:05 PM   #5
Forum Member

Thanks, Les, for sharing your experience! I usually limit my eBay searches to U.S. Good to know.
I've always wondered myself about purchasing some lenses from Japan but have been hesitant. Good to know. Seen some tempting Tokina on eBay
07-28-2018, 01:35 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by les3547 Quote
I've never been hit with import fees and I've bought approx. 12 lenses from there.
I've been hit with import fees only once - on a purchase of about $2,500 from Germany. The postman did not bother to collect.

I believe Japan enjoys "most favored nation" status with the US & imports are not subject to custom duties.
07-29-2018, 10:11 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jhaji Quote
I've been hit with import fees only once - on a purchase of about $2,500 from Germany. The postman did not bother to collect.

I believe Japan enjoys "most favored nation" status with the US & imports are not subject to custom duties.
Now that you mention it, years ago I did get an import charge from a European shipment, and like you the postman left it without asking for the fee. Neither was I ever billed for or contacted about it again.

07-29-2018, 10:31 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The item has been relisted. Much as I would like to try a Voigtlander I’m going to pass and spend the $550 to have my K-1 upgraded.

Plus, I just bought the Fat Fifty.
07-29-2018, 03:44 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I just tried my link in the opening post and it takes me to the current listing.
07-30-2018, 07:22 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
The item has been relisted. Much as I would like to try a Voigtlander I’m going to pass and spend the $550 to have my K-1 upgraded.

Plus, I just bought the Fat Fifty.
That's exactly what I was thinking

(well, still need to buy the Fat Fifty, but when, not if)
07-30-2018, 08:57 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
often, orders from japan arrive faster than things a few states over. i've never had a problem.