Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Is this too good be true? Pentax K-1 Mark II Full Frame Wi-Fi 4K HD DSLR Camera & FA
Posted By: voles, 08-08-2018, 12:55 AM

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Pentax K-1 Mark II Full Frame Wi-Fi 4K HD DSLR Camera & FA 28-105mm Lens Kit 27075300040 | eBay

Sounds ideal for me personally - especially as I don't even own a tripod and an up-to- date flash. Most of the other bits such as extra battery & remote control I would need to buy anyway...

So what's the catch?

Obviously the customs and the resultant delays and duty might take the edge of the bargain...
Views: 2,166
08-08-2018, 01:24 AM - 1 Like   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

The flash is a simple, manual model - i.e. not P-TTL - but useful enough if you're happy working with manual settings. The tripod, I'm afraid, looks almost useless for DSLR work. It's more suitable for light-weight cameras - compacts, that kind of thing. Very much a low-end consumer model.

The rest of the accessories range from very basic / ersatz to "throw away" (there's no way I'd clean my sensor or lenses with that kit). The battery will likely be a generic 3rd party model labelled as "high capacity" - not very good, but possibly a useful backup. The card, if in fact it's a genuine Transcend card, should be fine, but nothing special. The bag... meh, it'll hold your camera and lenses, I guess, but you could do better...

Basically, it looks like one of the typical deals where a seller provides the camera and pads out the deal with cheap accessories to make it look like great value for money

Last edited by BigMackCam; 08-08-2018 at 01:46 AM.
08-08-2018, 02:26 AM   #3

Original Poster
I take your point and thanks for the heads up on the tripod etc., but isn’t the price extraordinarily low for the body and lens anyway?
08-08-2018, 02:35 AM - 1 Like   #4
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by voles Quote
I take your point and thanks for the heads up on the tripod etc., but isn’t the price extraordinarily low for the body and lens anyway?
At B&H, the price is currently $2,296.95 for the K-1II + 28-105 lens. So, with this deal from Cameta, you're basically getting all of those extras free. The combined value of the *useful* items - the card, flash, battery and bag - is less than $100, in my view. So you're maybe $100 better off with the Cameta deal. I don't know what they're like to deal with - they could be great. I've had experience of buying from B&H, though, and they were very good. I wouldn't let $100 sway me...

08-08-2018, 02:43 AM - 1 Like   #5
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

One other point... I see that you're in the UK. Bear in mind that if you buy the camera and lens from a US dealer, if you need to send the camera in for warranty repair work, you'll have to send it to the USA. The items I bought from B&H were only available in the US, otherwise I'd have bought them locally. Yes, it's more expensive over here, but it's better to have the local warranty

SRS Microsystems has the K-1II + 28-105 for GBP £2099. By the time you've bought the camera and lens from the USA and paid shipping, import duty and VAT, I doubt you'll be paying much less than that anyway...
08-08-2018, 03:13 AM - 1 Like   #6
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I just worked out the estimated cost for that deal, including shipping to the UK:

$2297.99 + $85.65 shipping = $2,383.64

VAT @ 17.5% = $417.13

Import duty @ 4.5% = $107.26

Total estimated cost = $2,383.64 + $417.13 + $107.26 = $2,908.03

Using the current exchange rate of GBP £1.00 = USD $1.30 (which is better than PayPal or your credit card will give you), $2,908.03 / 1.3 = £2,236.94 (versus £2099 from SRS) !!
08-08-2018, 03:42 AM - 1 Like   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I just worked out the estimated cost for that deal, including shipping to the UK:

$2297.99 + $85.65 shipping = $2,383.64

VAT @ 17.5% = $417.13

Import duty @ 4.5% = $107.26

Total estimated cost = $2,383.64 + $417.13 + $107.26 = $2,908.03

Using the current exchange rate of GBP £1.00 = USD $1.30 (which is better than PayPal or your credit card will give you), $2,908.03 / 1.3 = £2,236.94 (versus £2099 from SRS) !!
Thanks for taking the trouble to work that out! I'm convinced!

I have not decided whether I want the kit lens yet though the discount over buying the bits separately is significant. Nevertheless, I imagine all the caveats you have laid out would apply to the £1361 body deals on Ebay as well.

I like SRS - they sold me my K10D 11 years ago in Watford. At the 'normal' price levels they are as good as any and with better aftercare probably.

I didn't know about the warranty thing so thanks for that as well. That puts the tin hat on it I think.

Thank you very much.

08-08-2018, 04:06 AM   #8
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for taking the trouble to work that out! I'm convinced!

I have not decided whether I want the kit lens yet though the discount over buying the bits separately is significant. Nevertheless, I imagine all the caveats you have laid out would apply to the £1361 body deals on Ebay as well.

I like SRS - they sold me my K10D 11 years ago in Watford. At the 'normal' price levels they are as good as any and with better aftercare probably.

I didn't know about the warranty thing so thanks for that as well. That puts the tin hat on it I think.

Thank you very much.
You're very welcome!
08-08-2018, 04:55 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Veteran Member

You're very welcome!
Please don't convince me to buy anything! You are very convincing
08-08-2018, 05:00 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Bear in mind that if you buy the camera and lens from a US dealer, if you need to send the camera in for warranty repair work, you'll have to send it to the USA.
For any members in the US, Cameta Camera is on the Ricoh imaging authorized dealer list, so warranty should not be an issue.
08-08-2018, 07:34 AM - 3 Likes   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have not decided whether I want the kit lens yet though the discount over buying the bits separately is significant.
Don't think of the DFA 28-105 as a typical 'kit lens'. It's not. Within it's range it is every bit as good as the DFA 24-70. It is however, a much slower lens and if you need the constant f/2.8 then of course the 28-105 is not the answer. But as far as build quality and optics the DFA 28-105 is NOT a 'kit lens'.
08-08-2018, 10:10 AM   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
One other point... I see that you're in the UK. Bear in mind that if you buy the camera and lens from a US dealer, if you need to send the camera in for warranty repair work, you'll have to send it to the USA. The items I bought from B&H were only available in the US, otherwise I'd have bought them locally. Yes, it's more expensive over here, but it's better to have the local warranty
Maybe things have changed, but it used to be a £50 fee for the warranty work to be performed locally.

VAT is definitely a valid point.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-08-2018, 10:14 AM   #13
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Maybe things have changed, but it used to be a £50 fee for the warranty work to be performed locally.

VAT is definitely a valid point.
Interesting... I didn't know about that warranty out-of-country facility. That's quite an advantage over some other manufacturers...

Yes, both import duty and VAT make a big difference. Basically you're adding 22% onto the combined cost of the items AND shipping. It's always bugged me that they include the shipping in those charges.
08-08-2018, 09:21 PM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

The K1 II is not a 4K camera.
08-08-2018, 10:31 PM - 1 Like   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by madbrain Quote
The K1 II is not a 4K camera.
Well, the interval movies are, the normal videos aren't.