Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
  #1
Is this too good be true? Pentax K-1 Mark II Full Frame Wi-Fi 4K HD DSLR Camera & FA
Posted By: voles, 08-08-2018, 12:55 AM

Pentax K-1 Mark II Full Frame Wi-Fi 4K HD DSLR Camera & FA 28-105mm Lens Kit 27075300040 | eBay

Sounds ideal for me personally - especially as I don't even own a tripod and an up-to- date flash. Most of the other bits such as extra battery & remote control I would need to buy anyway...

So what's the catch?

Obviously the customs and the resultant delays and duty might take the edge of the bargain...
Views: 1,735
08-08-2018, 01:24 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
BigMackCam's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North-East of England
Posts: 16,042
The flash is a simple, manual model - i.e. not P-TTL - but useful enough if you're happy working with manual settings. The tripod, I'm afraid, looks almost useless for DSLR work. It's more suitable for light-weight cameras - compacts, that kind of thing. Very much a low-end consumer model.

The rest of the accessories range from very basic / ersatz to "throw away" (there's no way I'd clean my sensor or lenses with that kit). The battery will likely be a generic 3rd party model labelled as "high capacity" - not very good, but possibly a useful backup. The card, if in fact it's a genuine Transcend card, should be fine, but nothing special. The bag... meh, it'll hold your camera and lenses, I guess, but you could do better...

Basically, it looks like one of the typical deals where a seller provides the camera and pads out the deal with cheap accessories to make it look like great value for money

Last edited by BigMackCam; 08-08-2018 at 01:46 AM.
08-08-2018, 02:26 AM   #3
New Member
voles's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: St Albans
Posts: 23
Original Poster
I take your point and thanks for the heads up on the tripod etc., but isnít the price extraordinarily low for the body and lens anyway?
08-08-2018, 02:35 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
BigMackCam's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North-East of England
Posts: 16,042
QuoteOriginally posted by voles Quote
I take your point and thanks for the heads up on the tripod etc., but isnít the price extraordinarily low for the body and lens anyway?
At B&H, the price is currently $2,296.95 for the K-1II + 28-105 lens. So, with this deal from Cameta, you're basically getting all of those extras free. The combined value of the *useful* items - the card, flash, battery and bag - is less than $100, in my view. So you're maybe $100 better off with the Cameta deal. I don't know what they're like to deal with - they could be great. I've had experience of buying from B&H, though, and they were very good. I wouldn't let $100 sway me...

08-08-2018, 02:43 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
BigMackCam's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North-East of England
Posts: 16,042
One other point... I see that you're in the UK. Bear in mind that if you buy the camera and lens from a US dealer, if you need to send the camera in for warranty repair work, you'll have to send it to the USA. The items I bought from B&H were only available in the US, otherwise I'd have bought them locally. Yes, it's more expensive over here, but it's better to have the local warranty

SRS Microsystems has the K-1II + 28-105 for GBP £2099. By the time you've bought the camera and lens from the USA and paid shipping, import duty and VAT, I doubt you'll be paying much less than that anyway...
08-08-2018, 03:13 AM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
BigMackCam's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North-East of England
Posts: 16,042
I just worked out the estimated cost for that deal, including shipping to the UK:

$2297.99 + $85.65 shipping = $2,383.64

VAT @ 17.5% = $417.13

Import duty @ 4.5% = $107.26

Total estimated cost = $2,383.64 + $417.13 + $107.26 = $2,908.03

Using the current exchange rate of GBP £1.00 = USD $1.30 (which is better than PayPal or your credit card will give you), $2,908.03 / 1.3 = £2,236.94 (versus £2099 from SRS) !!
08-08-2018, 03:42 AM - 1 Like   #7
New Member
voles's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: St Albans
Posts: 23
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I just worked out the estimated cost for that deal, including shipping to the UK:

$2297.99 + $85.65 shipping = $2,383.64

VAT @ 17.5% = $417.13

Import duty @ 4.5% = $107.26

Total estimated cost = $2,383.64 + $417.13 + $107.26 = $2,908.03

Using the current exchange rate of GBP £1.00 = USD $1.30 (which is better than PayPal or your credit card will give you), $2,908.03 / 1.3 = £2,236.94 (versus £2099 from SRS) !!
Thanks for taking the trouble to work that out! I'm convinced!

I have not decided whether I want the kit lens yet though the discount over buying the bits separately is significant. Nevertheless, I imagine all the caveats you have laid out would apply to the £1361 body deals on Ebay as well.

I like SRS - they sold me my K10D 11 years ago in Watford. At the 'normal' price levels they are as good as any and with better aftercare probably.

I didn't know about the warranty thing so thanks for that as well. That puts the tin hat on it I think.

Thank you very much.
08-08-2018, 04:06 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
BigMackCam's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North-East of England
Posts: 16,042
QuoteOriginally posted by voles Quote
Thanks for taking the trouble to work that out! I'm convinced!

I have not decided whether I want the kit lens yet though the discount over buying the bits separately is significant. Nevertheless, I imagine all the caveats you have laid out would apply to the £1361 body deals on Ebay as well.

I like SRS - they sold me my K10D 11 years ago in Watford. At the 'normal' price levels they are as good as any and with better aftercare probably.

I didn't know about the warranty thing so thanks for that as well. That puts the tin hat on it I think.

Thank you very much.
You're very welcome!

08-08-2018, 04:55 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Veteran Member
IgorZ's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 1,720
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
You're very welcome!
Please don't convince me to buy anything! You are very convincing
08-08-2018, 05:00 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Upstate NY, USA
Posts: 618
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Bear in mind that if you buy the camera and lens from a US dealer, if you need to send the camera in for warranty repair work, you'll have to send it to the USA.
For any members in the US, Cameta Camera is on the Ricoh imaging authorized dealer list, so warranty should not be an issue.
08-08-2018, 07:34 AM - 3 Likes   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
jatrax's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Washington Cascades
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,628
QuoteOriginally posted by voles Quote
I have not decided whether I want the kit lens yet though the discount over buying the bits separately is significant.
Don't think of the DFA 28-105 as a typical 'kit lens'. It's not. Within it's range it is every bit as good as the DFA 24-70. It is however, a much slower lens and if you need the constant f/2.8 then of course the 28-105 is not the answer. But as far as build quality and optics the DFA 28-105 is NOT a 'kit lens'.
08-08-2018, 10:10 AM   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 49,901
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
One other point... I see that you're in the UK. Bear in mind that if you buy the camera and lens from a US dealer, if you need to send the camera in for warranty repair work, you'll have to send it to the USA. The items I bought from B&H were only available in the US, otherwise I'd have bought them locally. Yes, it's more expensive over here, but it's better to have the local warranty
Maybe things have changed, but it used to be a £50 fee for the warranty work to be performed locally.

VAT is definitely a valid point.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-08-2018, 10:14 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
BigMackCam's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North-East of England
Posts: 16,042
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Maybe things have changed, but it used to be a £50 fee for the warranty work to be performed locally.

VAT is definitely a valid point.
Interesting... I didn't know about that warranty out-of-country facility. That's quite an advantage over some other manufacturers...

Yes, both import duty and VAT make a big difference. Basically you're adding 22% onto the combined cost of the items AND shipping. It's always bugged me that they include the shipping in those charges.
08-08-2018, 09:21 PM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian
madbrain's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 1,179
The K1 II is not a 4K camera.
08-08-2018, 10:31 PM - 1 Like   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
clackers's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Albums
Posts: 14,607
QuoteOriginally posted by madbrain Quote
The K1 II is not a 4K camera.
Well, the interval movies are, the normal videos aren't.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
4k, camera, coupon, dslr, ebay, fa, frame, hd, ii, k-1, k1 ii, mark, pentax deals, pentax k-1 ii kit, savings, wi-fi
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ricoh Imaging Unveils GR II, its Newest Premium Compact Camera, Featuring Wi-Fi and N Adam Homepage & Official Pentax News 5 06-17-2015 08:20 PM
Black Magic releasing 4K camera for $4k and Pocket RAW video camera for $1k ploetzlich Photographic Industry and Professionals 9 08-07-2013 04:18 PM
So It's True....a Full-Frame 'Professional' Samsung Dslr Coming !!!! Confused Pentax DSLR Discussion 9 05-02-2008 04:12 PM
Do u want a Wi-fi feature with your K20D too? vitalsax Pentax DSLR Discussion 34 02-06-2008 01:34 PM
Eye-Fi - instant Wi-Fi capabilities for your Pentax nosnoop Pentax DSLR Discussion 3 10-31-2007 01:16 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:46 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top