Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Odd pentax 67 200/4 AERO Lens
Posted By: gofour3, 08-20-2018, 02:29 PM

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Never seen or heard about this 67 200/4 AERO lens, only $6880 USD!

Apparently a one off custom job for the Japanese Maritime Defence force and the lens can only shoot at infinity. (No focus ring)

**Rare** SMC Pentax 67 AERO 200mm F/4 Lens for Pentax 67 67II #17730C6 | eBay

Phil.
Views: 1,610
08-20-2018, 02:43 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Haven't seen this before either. Perhaps a modified version of the SMC 200mm F4, with focused fixed at infinity?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-20-2018, 02:43 PM - 1 Like   #3
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow, great find and a very interesting lens. One for the collector, obviously, but I'd love to see what it's like optically.

Fixed focus makes sense if it's for aviation reconnaissance photography. A mirrorless user with the relevant adapters and focusing helicoid could get more versatility from it... But really, it's one for the display cabinet
08-20-2018, 03:00 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Wow, great find and a very interesting lens. One for the collector, obviously, but I'd love to see what it's like optically.

Fixed focus makes sense if it's for aviation reconnaissance photography. A mirrorless user with the relevant adapters and focusing helicoid could get more versatility from it... But really, it's one for the display cabinet
If it really is sharp, it might make a nice astrophotography lens for a Q user.

08-20-2018, 03:05 PM - 1 Like   #5
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
If it really is sharp, it might make a nice astrophotography lens for a Q user.
I'd like to bet it's sharp, given the application. In which case it could indeed be great for astro on a Q. And I have both the Q and Q7. Sadly, I don't have $6,880 I can blow on one lens
08-20-2018, 03:30 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
a one off custom job for the Japanese Maritime Defence force
According to the advert it was modified by them, rather than for them. Possibly just to the extent that they jammed up the focus ring so it didn't move around by itself...?
08-20-2018, 03:54 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I'd like to bet it's sharp, given the application. In which case it could indeed be great for astro on a Q. And I have both the Q and Q7. Sadly, I don't have $6,880 I can blow on one lens
Do you have $1,880? Someone on PF was offering $5,000 to spend on any Pentax stuff.

08-20-2018, 03:59 PM - 1 Like   #8
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Do you have $1,880? Someone on PF was offering $5,000 to spend on any Pentax stuff.
LOL Whoever that was, they must be unhinged...
08-20-2018, 09:24 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
According to the advert it was modified by them, rather than for them. Possibly just to the extent that they jammed up the focus ring so it didn't move around by itself...?
The engraving of the lens name looks like it was professionally done by Pentax, same for the focusing ring modification. No surprise the "current" Ricoh Pentax" knows nothing about this lens.

My guess it was a special order by the Japanese government and Pentax did the 67 200/4 modifications at the factory.

Phil.
08-21-2018, 12:37 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I really like one of a kind lenses and their story. I follow the Pentax by ricoh images Facebook page (japanese) and they sometimes post prototypes or one of a kind lenses, the two that i remember are:

-a da 35 macro ltd converted for some arctic expedition (no dof scale but a wiiide focusing ring);

-a prototype 10-17 fisheye (a combination of parts from existing lenses at the timte, really unique);

Now that i think of it, i should have saved the pics for further reference
05-29-2019, 02:22 AM   #11

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Seems to have resurfaced again.

Should it, and the known information be added to our database?