Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
M42 Pentax at Blue Moon Camera
Posted By: stevebrot, 08-21-2018, 03:03 PM

I was in Portland, Oregon's Blue Moon Camera yesterday and noticed that they had an unusually large selection of screwmount (M42) Pentax and Asahi items. Jake, the helpful counter person was good enough to bring a few things out that he thought might interest me and it occurred to me that they might interest M42 enthusiasts here as well. In order of what I played with:
  • Pentax Spotmatic F : The camera is listed "as is", but condition is essentially "as new". It was a pleasure to handle and work the controls. Of special interest is that the camera has the optional split-image focus screen (piqued my interest). $125 USD, body only, with the note that the top two speeds are slow, but acceptable.
  • Pentax SL : This model is the same as the Honeywell H3 and is basically an Spotmatic without the self-timer a meter. As with the camera above, it is spotless. It comes with the matched external coupled meter (the unusual part of this package, also in new condition. $300 USD, for body and meter as a bundle.
  • Asahi Super-Takumar 35/2.0 (second version) : Like new condition inside and out. This is the second version with 49mm filter ring. At least one element is yellowed due to thoriated glass. $140 USD
  • Asahi Auto-Takumar 35/2.3 : This is the lens with the huge front element and semi-automatic aperture. I did not inspect this one thoroughly except to note that it is very clean. I noticed a smudge on the front element that might be a cleaning mark and might be a rational to request a price adjustment if confirmed as a rub mark. $375 USD
  • Asahi Takumar 35/4 : This model was reputably the first Japanese retro-focus wide angle and has a fully manual aperture. I did not inspect this copy and am including it for interest's sake. $125, listed as "excellent" condition.
The above items as well as several others are apparently part of a good sized consignment of consistent high quality. Consignment items are generally priced "firm". Below is a link to the M42 page on the Blue Moon Web site with a full listing and links to inquire about each item. Note that they have an Asahi Takumar 500/4.5 that I did not take time to look at.

Inventory | Blue Moon Camera and Machine

Steve

(...no relation to Blue Moon except as the occasional and happy customer...)

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-21-2018 at 04:17 PM.
Views: 839
08-21-2018, 03:34 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I hate them, because
1) they always have cool stuff and
2) they are on basically the opposite end of the continent, so I don’t get to play with it.

I have bought a few things from them mail order.
They are a pretty decent source for 620 film, for example...

But whenever I go to the West Coast, it’s always Seattle, never Portland...

-Eric
08-21-2018, 03:43 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If it was Jake Shivery helping you, he is the owner of Blue Moon Camera, and is a super cool/nice guy. Everyone at Blue Moon Camera are great people.

The Pentax SL is not an H3, it is essentially a Spotmatic without the meter. It does have a self timer.
08-21-2018, 04:04 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
The Pentax SL is not an H3, it is essentially a Spotmatic without the meter. It does have a self timer.
Thanks for the correction. I will edit. I was going on memory and memory was wrong

Steve

08-21-2018, 04:44 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Thanks for the correction. I will edit. I was going on memory and memory was wrong

Steve
I've spent too time looking at SL on ebay
The SL being a Spotmatic body it has a different prism housing and different shutter speed dial than the pre-Spotmatic S and H bodies, so the SL has its own meter, the Pentax Meter SL. The earlier Pentax Meter won't fit the SL, and the Meter SL won't fit the earlier bodies.
08-21-2018, 05:51 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've known the good folks at Blue Moon for years and can't think of a better place to do business. Staff is wonderful and inventory always interesting.
08-21-2018, 09:21 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, good place. I picked up a Takumar 50 there(one of the radioactive ones) a year ago.