Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
1 Like  
HD 150-450 Smoking Deal at B&H~
Posted By: UserAccessDenied, 08-30-2018, 05:00 AM

Pentax HD PENTAX D FA 150-450mm f/4.5-5.6 DC AW Lens 21340 B&H

I'm so tempted by this right now...

I was saying a week ago if the price ever dropped below $1750...
NOW IT HAS!
Views: 2,428
08-30-2018, 06:15 PM - 1 Like   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
That's a nice deal, I would have jumped on it basically because I was obsessing over getting one. But however I spotted this little beauty (I named it Beasty) at a pawn shop here in Vegas about six months ago priced at $1800. So I waited patiently because I knew Pentax users never visit these stores, I watched the price drop to $1460, and then come last Monday I popped in and noticed they dropped the price to$1260, the sales man said that the lens has been in there for about a year and no one looks at it. I tried it out on a K3 that was accompanying it on the shelf and it checks out in prestine like new condition. So I went home( because I didn't want them to know I really wanted the lens) and mulled over making them an offer, finally I called them and offered $1000 out the door(they eat taxes so they had to refigure the price to $929 so it would come out to $1000) they didn't hesitate on taking the deal. One hour later I'm heading home with this fine chunck of glass in my hands.
Now you all know what I'm doing this weekend....
Name:  IMG_20180828_191041.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  174.0 KB

08-30-2018, 06:22 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BirdDude007 Quote
That's a nice deal, I would have jumped on it basically because I was obsessing over getting one. But however I spotted this little beauty (I named it Beasty) at a pawn shop here in Vegas about six months ago priced at $1800. So I waited patiently because I knew Pentax users never visit these stores, I watched the price drop to $1460, and then come last Monday I popped in and noticed they dropped the price to$1260, the sales man said that the lens has been in there for about a year and no one looks at it. I tried it out on a K3 that was accompanying it on the shelf and it checks out in prestine like new condition. So I went home( because I didn't want them to know I really wanted the lens) and mulled over making them an offer, finally I called them and offered $1000 out the door(they eat taxes so they had to refigure the price to $929 so it would come out to $1000) they didn't hesitate on taking the deal. One hour later I'm heading home with this fine chunck of glass in my hands.
Now you all know what I'm doing this weekend....
Attachment 421065
I'm so happy for you!

My gut is twisting at the thought of this... That'll never happen to me! (Unless I win this beautiful K-1!)

Unfortunately on the rural side of the state where I live, the best you'll find in a pawn shop around here is a decent mitre saw and some lawnmower blades...
08-31-2018, 03:21 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote
I'm so happy for you!

My gut is twisting at the thought of this... That'll never happen to me! (Unless I win this beautiful K-1!)

Unfortunately on the rural side of the state where I live, the best you'll find in a pawn shop around here is a decent mitre saw and some lawnmower blades...
one thing I learned about the rural pawn shops is they have hidden treasures, I visited every one that I came across and gave them my card. Told them to call me if they just want to get rid of a bunch of lenses/cameras they can't sell. And it wasn't long before I got a call one day saying they have a box of lenses and old cameras they no longer wanted. When I got there they handed the box to me, I spotted an A 50 f1.7 that looked in ok shape and what looked like a cool old antique camera, I offered ten bucks and walked out with the box in tow. Once I got home I started going through it, it had like four old lenses that weren't worth much, one of them was a nice Canon zoom, but when I picked up the Pentax 50, I couldn't believe my eyes, this thing is in mint condition! Then I discovered an old German Ikonta camera made back in the thirties in mint condition, I did some research and discovered it is worth $300-$400. I still have it on my shelf. Also in the box was a Pentax Program Plus, ZX-30, and a ZX-7 all in working condition.
So.....yeah you can find killer deals especially if you are patient and persistent. Since I have moved back to Vegas, I have constantly dropped into all the pawn shops here and have discovered many a deal.
08-31-2018, 03:34 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
one thing I learned about the rural pawn shops is they have hidden treasures, I visited every one that I came across and gave them my card. Told them to call me if they just want to get rid of a bunch of lenses/cameras they can't sell. And it wasn't long before I got a call one day saying they have a box of lenses and old cameras they no longer wanted. When I got there they handed the box to me, I spotted an A 50 f1.7 that looked in ok shape and what looked like a cool old antique camera, I offered ten bucks and walked out with the box in tow. Once I got home I started going through it, it had like four old lenses that weren't worth much, one of them was a nice Canon zoom, but when I picked up the Pentax 50, I couldn't believe my eyes, this thing is in mint condition! Then I discovered an old German Ikonta camera made back in the thirties in mint condition, I did some research and discovered it is worth $300-$400. I still have it on my shelf. Also in the box was a Pentax Program Plus, ZX-30, and a ZX-7 all in working condition.
So.....yeah you can find killer deals especially if you are patient and persistent. Since I have moved back to Vegas, I have constantly dropped into all the pawn shops here and have discovered many a deal.
Wow! What a find! Great story! Great lesson!

08-31-2018, 03:40 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I've heard Vegas is one of the best places to score pawn shop deals!

I'm guessing people on vacation losing their money and selling whatever they brought with them to get home/pay the bill!

That includes the occasional DFA 150-450 apparently!!
08-31-2018, 05:05 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So how much was b&h selling the 150-450 for? I'm seeing it now for 1744...
08-31-2018, 05:58 PM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

One hour later I'm heading home with this fine chunck of glass in my hands.
Very nice snag! I was happy to pay double that in 2016. You're going to love this lens.

08-31-2018, 05:59 PM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've heard Vegas is one of the best places to score pawn shop deals!
Hadn't thought about it (why would one?), but so obvious once said!
08-31-2018, 05:59 PM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mike.hiran Quote
So how much was b&h selling the 150-450 for? I'm seeing it now for 1744...
I think that was the price.
08-31-2018, 06:40 PM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Unfortunately it will have to wait...
Planning a surprise 30th birthday for my wife that has doubled in cost over the last week and already exceeded my budget... And I haven't even bought decorations yet!

Who would have thought renting a massive 60' adult bounce house would be $500 for a day!?
Now that you posted it on the internet, it will no longer be a surprise since we're likely to spill the beans.

We're just trying to help you out on this. Seriously, it's great that you prioritize family over material goods (and that lens is a good one).