Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
SMC Reflex 1000/11 mirror lens
Posted By: kayakfari, 08-30-2018, 07:06 AM

Just saw this one starting at $400 which is quite a deal:
PENTAX SMC Reflex 1000mm f/11 Mirror Lens W/Case MADE IN JAPAN | eBay

No affiliation other than owning one myself. It's a specialized lens, very sharp once you nail the focus. Excellent Pentax built quality and very portable for the reach!

Great lens for solar and lunar imaging, see my story on last year's eclipse:

ART of Eclipses and other Cosmic alignments! | kayakfari ( kayak .. far .. i )

Hope someone gets a deal!
-F
Views: 1,119
08-30-2018, 07:16 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow, that is not too common. i just wish I had some money to spend.
08-30-2018, 07:24 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
That’s not too outrageous a price, for what it is. I’ve always been a little disappointed with my Pentax 400-600 mirror zoom’s sharpness, but I’m interested to hear that your 1000 is sharp. Mind you, in both cases, a hefty tripod would be essential.
08-30-2018, 08:18 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I had no idea that Pentax made mirror lenses. I've never been impressed by the pictures I've seen from the off brands. Haven't seen any in quite a while.

At least with astro you don't have to worry about the weird bokeh.

08-30-2018, 08:19 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

They had a 2000/13.5 mirror lens as well.

I had the 1000mm years ago. Hard to use and not very sharp.
08-30-2018, 09:15 AM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kayakfari Quote
It's a specialized lens, very sharp once you nail the focus.
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
I had the 1000mm years ago. Hard to use and not very sharp.
Hummm... there is a difference of opinion here.
The only 1000mm Pentax I have ever used was the black dragon (https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/Tele-Takumar-Super-Multi-Coated-TAKUMAR-1000mm-F8.html ). It was a beast - I used it on a converted wooden surveyer's tripod if I recall correctly. I don't even recall if it was sharp or not - just the experience of handling that monster. Very different from this mirror lens obviously. (https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-K-1000mm-F11-Reflex-Lens.html )

Last edited by UncleVanya; 08-30-2018 at 09:21 AM.
08-30-2018, 09:04 PM - 1 Like   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Hummm... there is a difference of opinion here.
The only 1000mm Pentax I have ever used was the black dragon (Tele-Takumar/Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 1000mm F8 Reviews - M42 Screwmount Extreme Telephoto Primes - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database ). It was a beast - I used it on a converted wooden surveyer's tripod if I recall correctly. I don't even recall if it was sharp or not - just the experience of handling that monster. Very different from this mirror lens obviously. (SMC Pentax Reflex 1000mm F11 Reviews - K Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database )
Def hard to use, but my copy shows excellent detail when the focus is nailed, which takes some practice.
It also benefits from good PP to raise contrast, saturation some. With the Q on the back and a 2x TC it's at 11 200mm and I can start picking landing sites ..

Some here of sun and moon: The Supermoon of 2016 and the full moon camping experience at Little Rabbit Key. | kayakfari ( kayak .. far .. i )
08-30-2018, 09:15 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Now to convince myself I don't need this lens...

09-12-2018, 03:40 AM - 3 Likes   #9
Pentaxian

Now sold and in my possession.

I just couldn't pass it up for the price. It's in excellent condition and I hope to play with it at the upcoming drag races in Charlotte next month.
09-12-2018, 05:55 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote

I just couldn't pass it up for the price. It's in excellent condition and I hope to play with it at the upcoming drag races in Charlotte next month.
Good for you Tom! That was a sweet deal, glad it is as good as it looked. I permanently attached a long plate via an extra 1/4x20 hole in the mount. So now it just drops right into a clamp on my video head, no twisting.
It's a specialized lens, but once you get the hang of focusing you'll be finding all those details in the distance and up close. Enjoy!
09-12-2018, 08:37 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Tom I'm in the area, Mint Hill actually. I'd love to see that lens in person and test it out if we can work out meeting. I have a nice collection that you may find something to try out as well. Ill serve you a private message if you are interested.
09-12-2018, 09:31 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Congratulations Tom! Ought to be fun.