Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread

F* 250-600 on eBay for $5300
Posted By: builttospill, 09-29-2018, 06:27 PM

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

This was just posted. It looks to be in fantastic condition and offered at a fair price.
PENTAX SMC F* 250-600mm F/5.6 ED [IF] Lens ((Good Condition+++)) | eBay
Views: 2,157
10-02-2018, 06:41 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Yep. That DFA*85 must be on the way!
F*250~600 is beyond my means as a result of the large number of $300 manual lenses I’ve acquired, though if the D FA*85/1.4 is in the same class as the *50 and *70~200 I know I’ll buy it.

This lens should be owned by someone who will use it, not by a collector like me.

Last edited by monochrome; 10-02-2018 at 07:34 PM.
10-02-2018, 09:08 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by littledrawe Quote
Have you been to any migratory bird hot spots, major sporting events, or looked at a National Geographic magazine? What kind of equipment do you think is making those photos and videos and how much $$ do you think people have invested??
I am well aware of how much supertelephotos cost. Yes, I have also been to many birding hotspots, migratory and otherwise. My opinion is just that the money for this lens would be better invested in a more modern supertelephoto, like the sigma 500 f/4, Nikon 500mm pf f/5.6, or another even more expensive one.
10-03-2018, 01:34 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by automorphism Quote
I am well aware of how much supertelephotos cost. Yes, I have also been to many birding hotspots, migratory and otherwise. My opinion is just that the money for this lens would be better invested in a more modern supertelephoto, like the sigma 500 f/4, Nikon 500mm pf f/5.6, or another even more expensive one.
Quite possibly true what you say.

What this lens represents is both high quality optics (yes it can deliver even in todays standards) + the ageless value of a super rare lens (=collector value). The right hands = a collector who will actually use the lens. This I can relate to, so, the value of it is justifiable in these terms.

But, as you state, buying a modern lens with similar specs is most definitely a reasonable alternative. By definition, this kind of thinking is aligned with a non-collector.
10-03-2018, 09:36 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

To add to what @Wild Mark stated.. its an opportunity to own the Pentax legacy glass (the beautiful renderings of those times). Check the FA*80-200 and D-FA*70-200 and you will know what I am talking about. No doubt the D-FA* is sharper but it is producing slightly cooler images for my liking.
I will never compare a brand name lens with an equivalent even if it comes to a DA18-55 (which is apparently best in class kit lens). As a matter of fact I still like 18-55 rendering better than the faster 17-50 Tamron or 18-50 Sigma. the color rendition is top notch with almost all Pentax lenses including all the plastics they have produced so far.

10-03-2018, 09:58 AM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wild Mark Quote
What this lens represents is both high quality optics (yes it can deliver even in todays standards) + the ageless value of a super rare lens (=collector value). The right hands = a collector who will actually use the lens. This I can relate to, so, the value of it is justifiable in these terms.

But, as you state, buying a modern lens with similar specs is most definitely a reasonable alternative. By definition, this kind of thinking is aligned with a non-collector.
I get what you and @shardulum are saying, too. I admire the older lens designs. I have a FA* 300 f/4.5 that is pretty compact and light and serves me well on really long walks...I think a large factor for choosing a long lens is weight as well which is one reason why I would probably not get the 250-600 even with the great optics.
10-03-2018, 10:48 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I get what you and @shardulum are saying, too. I admire the older lens designs. I have a FA* 300 f/4.5 that is pretty compact and light and serves me well on really long walks...I think a large factor for choosing a long lens is weight as well which is one reason why I would probably not get the 250-600 even with the great optics.
Yes. Its the same apprehension users of DA15, DA21, FA31, FA43 and Fa77 have towards a DA*300, a D-FA*70-200 or even an FA*300 for that matter. But things of this cadre are not and cannot and should not be built with plastics just to honor the weight. There is so much high quality and precision crafted glass in these lens to achieve the IQ at those zoom ranges that they better be put into very secure and heavy duty metal enclosures that will last for a foreseeable future of the lens. You don't and shouldn't expect to take this F* 250 to 600 lens for a walk. buyers of these lenses will value the IQ in those focal lengths over all else because that is what it is built to produce and not a walk around solution. People who have that style of photography and need that level of IQ in those focal ranges will not worry about its weight or poor handling. They expect them to be so and plan to work with the necessary evil (weight that is). Almost always they are used in bunkers over a a bean bag or a sand bag if not a sturdy tripod. The biggest concern is air travel with these cases. Wonder if they meet the shrinking cabin baggage specs on the airlines these days.
10-03-2018, 02:59 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
As well as owning an F* 250-600, I also have the Nikon 200-400 f/4. The Nikon is easier to use, but I enjoy the photos from the Pentax much more. The rendering quality is incredible.

I've never been a fan of zooms, but for birding I would much rather have a zoom than a fixed-focal-length lens.
QuoteOriginally posted by shardulm Quote
The biggest concern is air travel with these cases. Wonder if they meet the shrinking cabin baggage specs on the airlines these days.
My custom case (seen in the link above in an earlier post) is travel-approved and even equipped with TSA locks if I choose to check the case so I can carry-on my camera bag.

10-03-2018, 03:39 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
My custom case (seen in the link above in an earlier post) is travel-approved and even equipped with TSA locks if I choose to check the case so I can carry-on my camera bag.
That case is very fascinating.
10-03-2018, 03:50 PM - 2 Likes   #24
Veteran Member

I'm probally the sort that would buy this.... probally on a trip to Korea to skip import tax and have a holiday as well..... stuff it in my suit case and have them mail the metal case home empty..... I suffer but one obstacle to such a plan (her name is Anna). My F*300 is all for it though......would make my DFA 150-450 my light weight zoom..... quite a feat in itself.

maybe swing by Japan on the way back

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PENTAX-SMC-F-600-4-ED-Pentax-K-mount-AF-lens-from-j....c100009.m1982

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pentax-FA-200mm-f-4-Macro-IF-ED-smc-Lens-Near-Mint-....c100010.m2109

The ultimate pentax world tour

Last edited by noelpolar; 10-03-2018 at 04:07 PM.
10-03-2018, 05:02 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

$4500USD? You can have it
10-23-2018, 06:53 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The seller has lowered the price from what I already thought was a good deal to $4950.

I hope someone here picks this beauty up.
10-23-2018, 08:00 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So what will be the import duty like if someone order this from the USA?
10-23-2018, 09:25 PM   #28
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I'm not sure on import fees. Maybe someone else knows more.