Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

ZK 50mm f1.4 on ebay
Posted By: kcjonez, 10-05-2018, 04:43 AM

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Don't see these very often.
Not a bad deal.
Zeiss Planar f1.4 50mm Pentax K mount | eBay
Views: 2,208
10-10-2018, 05:18 AM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Given that the figure of $500 is the auction starting price (I would suggest the seller is looking for more) that 40% could be 60%. If you were willing to give up AE and go for the cheaper Leitax ZF conversion, that might make the value proposition more appealing than a K50/1.4, but how many would pass up the ZK at the asking price for this copy (let alone the seller’s view of its worth), and spend the extra on AF and WR, and possibly a more attractive optical performance?

I’ve seen some output from ZK lenses, but never owned one. There’s no doubt they’re impressive, but with the new Pentax glass looking so good, at the prices the ZKs seem to be commanding, I never will own one (with no new UWA Pentax in sight, I had thought the Zeiss 21 might find a home here, but not at the current asking prices).

I have the Zeiss 25, 28, 35, 85 and 100. I briefly owned the 18. From what I gather the Zeiss 21 is something special which is why they are rare and command such a high price. I do like the way the Zeiss lenses render. It is only my opinion but having tried them side by side, the 25 is better than the 24/2.8 SMC. The 28 is better than the 28/2 A, the 28/2.8 Pentax's and even the 28/2 SMC Hollywood which is a Zeiss design. Same character but the colour rendering is better probably due to more recent coatings. I have done a comparison with the 85 alongside the 85/1.8 SMC and 85/1.4 A* and it is on the forum. I don't intend to get a Zeiss 50/1.4. I feel the Planar design works well in the 85 but not for my use of a 50. In any case I like the rendering of the 50/1.2 A Special. The 50/2 Macro would be different. The 18 was a different story and was a disappointment. The 15/3.5 A has a wider angle of view and is a better performer. There didn't "seem" to be much difference or at least a noticeable one in the angle of view from the Pentax 20/2.8 A/FA and both produced much better results.

10-10-2018, 06:28 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cyberjunkie Quote
I have no first hand experience with modern Zeiss lenses, only with old ones like those for Rollei and Contax (not the f/1.4 unfortunately).
If you had first hand experience with it you would know wide open the Cosina Ziess 50mm 1.4 is a fuzzy turd? Stop it down to 2.8 and its very sharp but somewhat swirly and suffers from circular aberrations There are so many better options out there for the price.
10-10-2018, 06:42 AM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by Sliver-Surfer Quote
If you had first hand experience with it you would know wide open the Cosina Ziess 50mm 1.4 is a fuzzy turd? Stop it down to 2.8 and its very sharp but somewhat swirly and suffers from circular aberrations There are so many better options out there for the price.
I am not sure that it is a "fuzzy turd" wide open even though many might say that. It is a classic Sonnar design and yes you are right, because of that it suffers spherical aberration in common with all other true Sonnars. That does give it distinctive look but also results in a shift in focus with a change in aperture. The 85 is the same, well maybe even worse. Focus on the K1 using the AF focus confirmation and shoot at 1.4 and the pictures are fuzzy because they are out of focus. Use live view with the DOF operated and it is a very different story.
10-10-2018, 06:52 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kim Coxon Quote
I am not sure that it is a "fuzzy turd" wide open even though many might say that. It is a classic Sonnar design and yes you are right, because of that it suffers spherical aberration in common with all other true Sonnars. That does give it distinctive look but also results in a shift in focus with a change in aperture. The 85 is the same, well maybe even worse. Focus on the K1 using the AF focus confirmation and shoot at 1.4 and the pictures are fuzzy because they are out of focus. Use live view with the DOF operated and it is a very different story.
I've got hundreds of hours shooting Manually at 1.2 and 1.0, my Pentax dslrs all have precision focusing screens and my MIrrorless cameras have focus magnification aids. I got focusing covered.

Last edited by Sliver-Surfer; 10-10-2018 at 07:45 AM.
10-10-2018, 10:47 AM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by Sliver-Surfer Quote
I've got hundreds of hours shooting Manually at 1.2 and 1.0, my Pentax dslrs all have precision focusing screens and my MIrrorless cameras have focus magnification aids. I got focusing covered.

I wasn't making a comment about your focussing ability but rather your choice of description of "fuzzy turd". In most "objective" reviews, the Zeiss is soft wide open. Most go on to say it becomes much better even at f1.8 and is good at F2. Now most of those would say very much the same about many of the Pentax 1.4's and the 1.2's. Or maybe they are fuzzy turds wide open as well.
10-10-2018, 11:24 AM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Frankly, I'm not a big fan of the Zeiss 50mm f/1.4 Classic. Nor am I a fan of ANY of the Pentax 50's.

For my style of photography, I use a Leitaxed Zeiss 50/1.4 Milvus, and an adapted Leica 50 R Summicron. The Milvus is around $1,000 USD. I just purchased a like new Leica 50mm R Summicron for $500 that was recently CLA'd. All I can say is WOW! If you want an exceptional 50mm lens and don't mind manual focus, you might want to take at look at this Leica lens.

Each lenses has a "look" a "signature". After having shot hundreds of different lens on K-1s, I'm now finding that I prefer the "Leica look" to Zeiss, Voigtlander, Pentax, Sigma or Samyang. For examples, check out our Leica lens club.

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 10-10-2018 at 11:29 AM.
10-11-2018, 05:23 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote

Each lenses has a "look" a "signature". After having shot hundreds of different lens on K-1s, I'm now finding that I prefer the "Leica look" to Zeiss, Voigtlander, Pentax, Sigma or Samyang. For examples, check out our Leica lens club.
I am starting to believe the same.
I am going to leitax a couple more Leitz lenses cause the Summicron 2/90mm has left me speechless.
Some Leitz/Leica optics with a rather low number of elements are definitely better than what you'd expect from their optical design.
Could be the choice of in-house optical glass, I really don't know the real reason, but the results are impressive.
Even lenses that are not outstanding (like the Elmarit 2.8/135mm) have a special "character".
Personally I feel more rewarded when I find an underappreciated optic that performs much better than expected. Sometimes it happens, most of the times not. It's still great fun trying.
Let's say that I like to wander off the beaten path. Finding that I actually like the "Leica look" is far from a new exciting discovery
However I have to admit that now I'm quite taken by Leica glass, and I can't wait to have the chance to try more.
Regarding "normal" lenses, I think I will go for a 60mm Macro first. It's really two lenses in one: dreamy wide open and macro sharp stopped down.
It was Mandler's choice to design it that way.

cheers
Paolo

10-16-2018, 07:19 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Better deal..
.Zeiss Planar f1.4 50mm Pentax K mount | eBay